TJD RETURNING to Indiana!!

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Every free board is a cesspool lol. I saw a doozy of one on IU’s free board about Milton Wright that had some pretty bad takes too. Just have to laugh and move on. 

I still don't understand why anyone would go to another teams message board in the first place.  It is either to troll the other team or you are trying to get validation from the other team.  I couldn't care less what an opposing team fan base thinks about IU basketball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

If you want to see UK fan-level stupid, this is the forum:

https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/tjd.231711/

I know @Stlboiler23 will tell us this isn't really representative of Turdue fans, but what a great public impression these morons make.  I swear, TwinDegrees must have one in janitorial studies and the other in binary counting.

It’s always weird to me when they talk about IU “tanking the careers of 5 stars” like it is the whole program and not 1 person. 

Even here last season most people were willing to admit PU should have had a really good team. They can’t fathom anything positive happening for IU. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I still don't understand why anyone would go to another teams message board in the first place.  It is either to troll the other team or you are trying to get validation from the other team.  I couldn't care less what an opposing team fan base thinks about IU basketball.

Lots of intelligent fans are actually interested in rival perspectives, although some (like me) go to GBI strictly for the pure entertainment/comedy.  Just because you don't understand it personally doesn't mean that it's uncommon.  It's actually very common and there are a lot of reasons beyond the ones you mentioned. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Every free board is a cesspool lol. I saw a doozy of one on IU’s free board about Milton Wright that had some pretty bad takes too. Just have to laugh and move on. 

That's the thing though...I don't doubt there are ill-informed idiots in some IU fan forums, but this is a free forum and I really don't see much of that here, which is frankly refreshing.  The few times I've ventured over to B-Town Banners, another free forum, I didn't see a lot of foolishness there either.  Neither of these two have even remotely the degree of next-level stupid I see on GBI.

...and I'm glad it's there...absolutely entertaining to read and laugh at.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That's the thing though...I don't doubt there are ill-informed idiots in some IU fan forums, but this is a free forum and I really don't see much of that here, which is frankly refreshing.  The few times I've ventured over to B-Town Banners, another free forum, I didn't see a lot of foolishness there either.  Neither of these two have even remotely the degree of next-level stupid I see on GBI.

...and I'm glad it's there...absolutely entertaining to read and laugh at.

You must of have never went to our rival sites

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Lots of intelligent fans are actually interested in rival perspectives, although some (like me) go to GBI strictly for the pure entertainment/comedy.  Just because you don't understand it personally doesn't mean that it's uncommon.  It's actually very common and there are a lot of reasons beyond the ones you mentioned. 

+1 I agree with this

I go to other teams boards all the time and even post occasionally. Some of the boards have interesting discussions and are friendly to outsiders.

I do not generally go to the PU sites though. Every time I have, I find it at the limit of readable.

This reminds me: Thanks mods for keep this board (mostly) readable.

• Like 3

Great news for IU basketball.

I really like this for Reneau. When was the last time a kid of his status come in without the weight of the world on his shoulders? Not being looked upon by a fan base to carry the load? Being able to go at it in practice with two seasoned, excellent players in Race and Trayce. Two guys with two different body types and skillsets.

This team has a chance to be really, really special.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

I like it, with Geronimo, Reneau, Banks, Galloway, Gunn and Kopp off the bench!

Agree on the starters being X, JHS, TB, RT and TJD. This second unit brings experience and depth too. 

Only overall holes I see are perimeter shooting (hoping guys improve from last year) and a backup PG.  Would Leal play any PG?  He did his freshman year. 

10 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Agree on the starters being X, JHS, TB, RT and TJD. This second unit brings experience and depth too. 

Only overall holes I see are perimeter shooting (hoping guys improve from last year) and a backup PG.  Would Leal play any PG?  He did his freshman year. 

JHS a CG and a very capable PG.  For very short periods of time Galloway would be satisfactory as PG.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bustout said:

JHS will be the backup point- even if he starts.  He will likely be the point guard when XJ is out, and we'll likely almost always have one or the other on the floor.

Shooting will be the likely weakness of this team.  If Bates can emerge the way Arman Franklin did two years ago, it would help a great deal.

Woody is pretty conservative on his starting lineups. XJ, Race, and TJD are virtual locks.  He'll likely start Kopp in the beginning of the year.  The final spot...probably TB or JHS.  Galloway wouldn't shock me either.

By the time the Big Ten season starts.  I'll be interested in who starts at the 2 and 3. I think Kopp and JHS  are the most likely, but Bates and Galloway could be in there too.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blazin Hazin said:

JHS will be the backup point- even if he starts.  He will likely be the point guard when XJ is out, and we'll likely almost always have one or the other on the floor.

Shooting will be the likely weakness of this team.  If Bates can emerge the way Arman Franklin did two years ago, it would help a great deal.

Woody is pretty conservative on his starting lineups. XJ, Race, and TJD are virtual locks.  He'll likely start Kopp in the beginning of the year.  The final spot...probably TB or JHS.  Galloway wouldn't shock me either.

By the time the Big Ten season starts.  I'll be interested in who starts at the 2 and 3. I think Kopp and JHS  are the most likely, but Bates and Galloway could be in there too.  

Wait...wait... 

Now, Who's on first?

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Scott's "refreshing" take on visiting opposing team's message boards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, 5fouls said:

This is a decision that will not only effect the program next season, but very well could have major influence on the course of the program for an entire generation.  20 years from now we won't be talking bout wat TJD did for the program during his playing days.  Rather, we hopefully can look back and just how much he meant to the program.  

TJD has a chance to be the most important player we’ve had since Bob Knight was coach IMO. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

TJD has a chance to be the most important player we’ve had since Bob Knight was coach IMO. 

Lol.  The big handsome took us from an absolute dumpster fire to a win over a probably undefeated UK team and a Sweet 16 in year one followed by another Sweet 16, outright B1G title, and preseason #1 ranking in year 2.  Trayce has never finished .500 in the B1G in 3 seasons.  Lol.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Lol.  The big handsome took us from an absolute dumpster fire to a win over a probably undefeated UK team and a Sweet 16 in year one followed by another Sweet 16, outright B1G title, and preseason #1 ranking in year 2.  Trayce has never finished .500 in the B1G in 3 seasons.  Lol.

Ahh.. this is your confusion. You don't compare team success with Individual impact.

KoB also said "has a chance". 

"TJD has never finished above .500" This isn't tennis, or swimming, or track... or golf. Or whatever individual sports there are. This is basketball.... Archie Miller and others held TJD back. That's on them, not him. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, slojoe said:

JHS a CG and a very capable PG.  For very short periods of time Galloway would be satisfactory as PG.

Given Woodys two unit approach, if JHS starts, I think IU still has a question mark as another PG.   TG could fill it for a bit and JHS if he’s in, but this is where Rob was perfect last year.    

And agree - shooting will still be the reason IU loses games. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ahh.. this is your confusion. You don't compare team success with Individual impact.

He has said "has a chance". 

"TJD has never finished above .500" 

This isn't tennis, or swimming, or track... or golf. Or whatever individual sports there are. This is basketball.... Archie Miller and others held TJD back. That's on them, not him. 

Agreed about not being individual to a degree.  I do also agree that Cody Zeller has been the most important players to come to IU in the last 20 years.  His choice really moved IU out of the basement after Sampson-Gate.  His signing was really big.  I wish he and Oladipo had stayed one more year.  I really do think they would have had a chance at a national title.

I really like Trace but i am not sure i am ever going to put him in the legendary players of IU.  Great Kid, HUGE Heart, Important to the team for sure.  But legendary isn't something i associate with him.  Now, if he wins NPOY and/or a National title this year, i will revisit my opinion.  I do appreciate everything he has done for the last 4 years.  Great team and individual player.

And i do hope he cements himself as a legend and brings banner #6 home this year.

Just my thoughts.  I know it will be different than many others.  And i appreciate those opinions too.

• Like 2