Jump to content

TJD RETURNING to Indiana!!


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I thought Chicago was about curfew?  Are we assuming the heat is about Chicago?  Or weed?

I'm guessing these vuys are basically saying bro, he who is without sin, throw the first stone.  Or leave my name out yo mouth.  

Man I read that last line and I'm thinking of Will Smith!!!  🤪

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If we took a poll on best overall poster, I’d put my money on you.  I also appreciate your view as a former college player and the inner workings of a team dynamic which is beyond my experience for sure.  

But I do disagree here. From what I heard, regarding NU he didn’t call anyone out by name.  I think he was expressing his view on leadership and the importance of everybody focusing on the task at hand and winning.  Everybody knows who got suspended and I don’t think he said much beyond the already-known in terms of details.  

Regarding punishment for drugs, he gave his opinion.  He knows Dolson and Woody make these calls and they can tell him so.  But he gave his view and he’s no doubt going to tell the guys all summer about not messing up.  His larger point isn’t weed.  It’s getting everybody all In and focused.  He doesn’t want distractions and players losing focus.  That’s the larger message and he is expressing his views on leadership.

X was discussed by name but it was in response to a question.  His answer was positive and I thought mostly benign.  X did what he did and he’d have to be super sensitive to take offense.  Trayce could maybe have said it more artfully, I agree, to give X more ownership but I don’t think he meant harm.  Any conflict can easily be resolved because X should know that Trayce’s intent was all good.  I get the sense they are good friends anyway.

Overall, to me the largest takeaway is that Woody has made it incumbent on Trayce to lead.  Woody has been around since Fred Flintstone drove with his feet and he’s emphasizing the importance of on court leadership.  He wants more and Trayce is trying to deliver.  Woody told him, “make the other players accountable.”    Knight did this to great success and Woody probably saw it’s importance in the pros too.

Regarding the ex players, I think 3 of the suspended 5 have been deposed from the team and I don’t think it’s coincidence.  The other two have more value and I have no problem with a sliding scale where your worth is part of the balance of considerations.

If they are insinuating that Trayce isn’t perfect, I don’t think anyone thinks Jesus Christ is sporting number 23 and the other players don’t need to take offense.  We already knew who was suspended.  All Trayce referred to was breaking curfew.  He didn’t say NU was weed related.  They did what they did and they have to live with the consequences. If you don’t want to be discussed, don’t break the rules.   

I think Trayce is very sincere and meant no harm to anyone.  I think what we are seeing is a guy trying to be a great leader.  I think that’s the lede for this story and the main takeaway.  I think if we focus on the message he’s trying to convey, it’s good.  He’s bringing next-level leadership.  For a young college kid, that’s a lot to handle and to me he’s showing maturity that’s hard to find in someone so young.  I think the inter-personal relationships will all work out.  

For employers out there, sports experience can be a good thing. Trayce has a makeup you’d like to hire.  He’s a well rounded, great person IMO.  He’s got the traits for success in basketball and other professions.  
 

 

Great counterpoint. For the record, I agree with both you and bglease here.  Trayce shows tremendous poise and leadership for his age but it could also be argued that he was a little too frank in places, although I personally don't see much harm here in what he said.  It was mostly stuff already known anyway and for the players who got ruffled over it, don't do that crap and you won't be discussed!

If I had furniture that fit, I'd hire Trayce in a heartbeat.  He'll be successful in his after basketball job, whenever that is.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Regarding the ex players, I think 3 of the suspended 5 have been deposed from the team and I don’t think it’s coincidence.  The other two have more value and I have no problem with a sliding scale where your worth is part of the balance of considerations.

I don't think that 2 of the 3 who are gone left/got booted because of that incident so I do think it is a coincidence for them. They're gone because they weren't going to see the floor much if at all next season. For Durr and especially Lander, their already limited PT was going to drop even more. 

Stewart might be the exception but for him I don't think that it was a primary reason. He was going to see his PT drop dramatically since he was pretty unproductive as a starter. He also just didn't really seem to be good for the team off the court even disregarding this incident. 

Basically, for all 3 I think they'd be gone even if the NW incident never happened.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I don't think that 2 of the 3 who are gone left/got booted because of that incident so I do think it is a coincidence for them. They're gone because they weren't going to see the floor much if at all next season. For Durr and especially Lander, their already limited PT was going to drop even more. 

Stewart might be the exception but for him I don't think that it was a primary reason. He was going to see his PT drop dramatically since he was pretty unproductive as a starter. He also just didn't really seem to be good for the team off the court even disregarding this incident. 

Basically, for all 3 I think they'd be gone even if the NW incident never happened.

I agree with you but I also think it's interesting that guys who struggled also broke curfew.  It suggests a player who is not all the way committed such that his development curve would lag.

Whether it's basketball or another profession, if you keep your head down and try to get better, take feedback and grow from it, you will do well.  You were hired/recruited because you were qualified for a role.  Realizing your potential is something else and total commitment is part of the equation unless your talent level is phenomenal, again, whether you're a player, a lawyer, financial analyst, etc.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree with you but I also think it's interesting that guys who struggled also broke curfew.  It suggests a player who is not all the way committed his development curve would lag.

Whether it's basketball or another profession, if you keep your head down and try to get better, take feedback and grow from it, you will do well.  You were hired/recruited because you were qualified for a role.  Realizing your potential is something else and total commitment is part of the equation unless your talent level is phenomenal, again, whether you're a player, a lawyer, financial analyst, etc.

I can agree with that. The question is whether those players would have really improved much even if they were totally committed to it. Lander might have but I am not so sure about Stewart and Durr.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Purdue7 said:

Why not a 5th year?

Could he break IU or even Big Ten records?

 

He'll have 1 year of eligibility left but the way he's been talking there is ~0% chance he'll use it. In at least 1 interview he said this would be his last year. He also talked about how he would've gone to the G-League as long as he had a guaranteed contract instead of returning to IU. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

He'll have 1 year of eligibility left but the way he's been talking there is ~0% chance he'll use it. In at least 1 interview he said this would be his last year. He also talked about how he would've gone to the G-League as long as he had a guaranteed contract instead of returning to IU. 

Could you imagine college with $500,000 deal ?

I thought $115 dollar a month GI Bill was all the money in the world 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Why not a 5th year?

Could he break IU or even Big Ten records?

 

Wouldn’t expect him to. If a player winds up with an undergrad degree, I’ll never fault them for leaving. I equate that to what 95% of other undergrad students would do: go look for a job. If that job happens to be professional basketball, so be it. 
 

That’s one thing I don’t hold against Vic. The kid graduated in 3 years. I don’t blame him for leaving when he did. Didn’t have much more to do, on or off court.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Wouldn’t expect him to. If a player winds up with an undergrad degree, I’ll never fault them for leaving. I equate that to what 95% of other undergrad students would do: go look for a job. If that job happens to be professional basketball, so be it. 
 

That’s one thing I don’t hold against Vic. The kid graduated in 3 years. I don’t blame him for leaving when he did. Didn’t have much more to do, on or off court.

I'm likewise 100% Camp Vic, with the exception of his messy departure from the Pacers...something about talking to opposing players about getting out of Indianapolis, IIRC.  That just wasn't handled well on his part and left me feeling like he didn't have a lot of loyalty to the Indiana fanbase that was really in his corner from day one.  Other than that and a few small things I've read which may or may not be true, I love Vic and have enjoyed seeing him succeed.

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Late to the party on this, my phone has decided to go all sorts of crazy on me. Finally getting a replacement phone sent. Haven’t been able to access anything unless connected to wi-fi, and even that was iffy.

Sorry, back to TJD lol. No matter what he decided to do, I was very happy for him. Very excited to have him back and that certainly elevates this team’s ceiling. Makes us a top 20 team for sure! 
 

Will be interesting to see how a different offense shakes out as has been stated by CMW and TJD. Go get us a title TJD!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Late to the party on this, my phone has decided to go all sorts of crazy on me. Finally getting a replacement phone sent. Haven’t been able to access anything unless connected to wi-fi, and even that was iffy.

Sorry, back to TJD lol. No matter what he decided to do, I was very happy for him. Very excited to have him back and that certainly elevates this team’s ceiling. Makes us a top 20 team for sure! 
 

Will be interesting to see how a different offense shakes out as has been stated by CMW and TJD. Go get us a title TJD!

Once I stopped downloading stuff from those adult sites, my phone issues ceased.  You should give that a try for a while and see if it improves.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Once I stopped downloading stuff from those adult sites, my phone issues ceased.  You should give that a try for a while and see if it improves.

 

24 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

But then where else I can follow you and your OnlyFans page? 

These were both awesome...well done! 😂

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

He'll have 1 year of eligibility left but the way he's been talking there is ~0% chance he'll use it. In at least 1 interview he said this would be his last year. He also talked about how he would've gone to the G-League as long as he had a guaranteed contract instead of returning to IU. 

I don't buy it. No one would leave a year of eligibility on the table and go to the G-League for a pay cut. If he's told the same thing next year, I don't see why his criteria for leaving would be any different next year than it was this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, HoosierDom said:

I don't buy it. No one would leave a year of eligibility on the table and go to the G-League for a pay cut. If he's told the same thing next year, I don't see why his criteria for leaving would be any different next year than it was this year.

He said in the interview he didn't care where he would've been drafted as long as he was promised a guaranteed contract. You're saying he's lying?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

He said in the interview he didn't care where he would've been drafted as long as he was promised a guaranteed contract. You're saying he's lying?

If he had an NBA contract, then going to G-League wouldn't be a pay cut.

My position is he won't leave for a pay cut. He didn't this year and he won't next year. So, unless his draft stock improves, he stays.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

If he had an NBA contract, then going to G-League wouldn't be a pay cut.

My position is he won't leave for a pay cut. He didn't this year and he won't next year. So, unless his draft stock improves, he stays.

 

During that interview he said this is his last year.  He will graduate next year so there will be no need to come back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't understand why people are uncomfortable that he may have called some guys out.  Are we worried that he hurt somebody's feelings?  My opinion is that if you don't want to be publicly called out, don't do anything to be called out for.  I respect TJD for saying this stuff, I think it's the leadership we've been missing for so long.  This is his last shot at this thing, and if he takes a "with me, or against me" attitude, that's alright by me.  I recently saw Eli Manning talking about walking into the locker room as a rookie and wanting to win, not for himself, but for the veterans in the locker room who hadn't won before.  And then later, guys wanted to win for him so he could have 1 more SB win than his brother.  Everyone in the IU locker room should be trying to send TJD out on a high note, that should be the focus. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

If he had an NBA contract, then going to G-League wouldn't be a pay cut.

My position is he won't leave for a pay cut. He didn't this year and he won't next year. So, unless his draft stock improves, he stays.

 

I don't think he will.  He was pretty clear that he's done when he has his degree.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...