Let's start arguing about starting lineup again!

I know some don't like this, but it is a discussion board right?  I know there will be the "who cares who starts? It's who finishes who matters" people.  Also the "I think lineups in the beginning of the year will be..., but then it will change" people. I assume we can all agree that XJ, Race, and TJD will start?  So the real discussion is JHS?  Bates?  Kopp?  JG?  Reneau?  Anyone else?  I would be willing to bet on JHS.  I can't imagine how we could play Reneau with Race and TJD.  I have a hard time seeing JG as the starting 3.  Really hoping he can improve to where he at least plays some there, but hard to see him as a starter there.  I'm really hoping and expecting a big jump from Bates.  Lastly I must admit that I could definitely see Kopp starting, but pray that won't be the case.  I'm hoping for XJ, JHS, Bates, Thompson, TJD.  I do think we have much better depth this season with wanting to see good minutes for Reneau, Geronimo, Galloway, Kopp, and even Leal.  Of course I would prefer the last 2 get much fewer minutes than the others.    

• Like 1

I in no way want to squash the discussion, but it's all mashed potatoes. The real deal is that we finally have two legit 5 man squads on this roster. We have serious depth and interchangeable parts.

I could see Kopp starting at the beginning of the season then JHS taking over. But it's also about fit and not having significant fall-off when the second unit comes in. 

• Like 1

Not sure who the starters will be so I hope we can get some nice summer intel on how things are going. What I do want to see is early leads, good starts to the second half, strong finishes and the bench getting decent minutes because they deserve to. That should be enough.

I don't see IU being a very good shooting team again next year.  5 guys that can get their own shot, get up and down the floor and pressure you on D.  

TJD

Geronimo

Galloway

Bates

XJ

* Race fills in.  We'll see how good the frosh are and where they fit in soon enough.  I see Kopp as a situational player when needed. 

Just now, tdhoosier said:

Definitely not November starters, but I hope these are the January starters. 

Without seeing practice or the players progress over the season but as of now I don't see anyone else who shod start. Maybe Geronimo if he can play the 3 or Galloway if he improves his shooting.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Without seeing practice or the players progress over the season but as of now I don't see anyone else who shod start. Maybe Geronimo if he can play the 3 or Galloway if he improves his shooting.

It only matters who Woody think ‘should’ start. And based on history, I have a hard time not seeing him start Kopp or Galloway to begin the season. 

I think by the end of the year we could see JHS start if he is as good as projected.  But if he is a PG, he is going to back up X and won't be starting.  Plus i think CMW is old school and Sonority matters and a freshman, regardless of how good, isn't going to start.

We have a good problem right now.  We have so many good young players that we run 8-9 deep at solid skill level.

a lot of interesting perspectives.  would be shocked and concerned if Kopp and Galloway both start.  just because i'm counting on JHS being that good and Bates making that big of a jump.  very hard to believe that coaches today don't start the best players from day 1 if they are the best players.  as much as i love and miss good old school basketball, that's just an old way of thinking.  if Kopp and Galloway are 2 of our best 5 players, my expectations will be lowered.  now, if they aren't 2 of our best 5, but still start, i guess we could be okay, but still seems rare to have 2 of your best guys not starting.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

a lot of interesting perspectives.  would be shocked and concerned if Kopp and Galloway both start.  just because i'm counting on JHS being that good and Bates making that big of a jump.  very hard to believe that coaches today don't start the best players from day 1 if they are the best players.  as much as i love and miss good old school basketball, that's just an old way of thinking.  if Kopp and Galloway are 2 of our best 5 players, my expectations will be lowered.  now, if they aren't 2 of our best 5, but still start, i guess we could be okay, but still seems rare to have 2 of your best guys not starting.

This team has a much higher upside if Geronimo and Bates can play their way into the starting lineup at the three and two spots. I actually have more confidence in JG at this point. I hope TB takes a big leap in the off-season, but we'll see. I've learned to not rely on freshman contributing much until they prove otherwise, so not counting on JHS and the rest of the crew yet.

This was the report on TB after the Bahamas trip:

Although he came off the bench, Bates was Indiana’s second leading scorer for the trip.  He scored 14 points in 18 minutes in game one, and showed he is a threat from anywhere on the court. With good elevation and length, Bates doesn’t need much room to get his shot off, and he knows how to create the space to get those openings.

Over two games Bates scored 23 points in 45 minutes while being efficient and taking care of the ball. He had just one turnover over the course of the two games, mainly because Bates doesn’t get sped up and doesn’t force the action. Instead the points came because his game is polished and well-rounded.

He didn't show any of that the rest of the season. Hopefully he can recapture that game.