Let's start arguing about starting lineup again!

5 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

This team has a much higher upside if Geronimo and Bates can play their way into the starting lineup at the three and two spots. I actually have more confidence in JG at this point. I hope TB takes a big leap in the off-season, but we'll see. I've learned to not rely on freshman contributing much until they prove otherwise, so not counting on JHS and the rest of the crew yet.

This was the report on TB after the Bahamas trip:

Although he came off the bench, Bates was Indiana’s second leading scorer for the trip.  He scored 14 points in 18 minutes in game one, and showed he is a threat from anywhere on the court. With good elevation and length, Bates doesn’t need much room to get his shot off, and he knows how to create the space to get those openings.

Over two games Bates scored 23 points in 45 minutes while being efficient and taking care of the ball. He had just one turnover over the course of the two games, mainly because Bates doesn’t get sped up and doesn’t force the action. Instead the points came because his game is polished and well-rounded.

He didn't show any of that the rest of the season. Hopefully he can recapture that game.

totally with you on JG and Bates.  Bates has a lot of ability and don't forget he was highly ranked coming out of HS.  JG is all athletic ability and potential, so we'll see.  never in the history of IU bball has a recruit ranked as highly as JHS not started.  i hope this isn't the first time!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

totally with you on JG and Bates.  Bates has a lot of ability and don't forget he was highly ranked coming out of HS.  JG is all athletic ability and potential, so we'll see.  never in the history of IU bball has a recruit ranked as highly as JHS not started.  i hope this isn't the first time!

If JHS can give a solid 10-15 mpg as the backup PG as a freshman, I'll be very pleased. I don't expect him to start.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

If JHS can give a solid 10-15 mpg as the backup PG as a freshman, I'll be very pleased. I don't expect him to start.

dang!  if he only plays 10-15 mpg i will be very disappointed.  not used to being the optimistic guy!  this is an honest question, but in the modern college bball world don't guys in the top 22 usually have a bigger role than that from day 1?  5-7 minutes a half?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

dang!  if he only plays 10-15 mpg i will be very disappointed.  not used to being the optimistic guy!  this is an honest question, but in the modern college bball world don't guys in the top 22 usually have a bigger role than that from day 1?  5-7 minutes a half?  

We only have two point guards, counting JHS. Can’t play him at the two and I have to believe a senior XJ will play 25-30 mpg

Just now, 13th&Jackson said:

And have no backup PG?

You rotate players at the 1 and 2.  Both can start and then say you sub out JHS and after a few minutes you bring him back in for XJ.  Don't just look at it as a true 10 player rotation where two players share a position and that is the only one you sub in for.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You rotate players at the 1 and 2.  Both can start and then say you sub out JHS and after a few minutes you bring him back in for XJ.  Don't just look at it as a true 10 player rotation where two players share a position and that is the only one you sub in for.

RP was a 2 guard playing out of position as a PG, with a backup PG (KL) on the bench. Yet, how many mpg were XJ and RP on the floor together?

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yeah, XJ and JHS will play a ton together and most likely be the starting backcourt. 

Galloway obviously isn't a point guard, but you sub him in as a secondary ball handler then when one of XJ and JHS are out. 

Galloway kind of mitigates the need for a true backup point guard. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

a lot of interesting perspectives.  would be shocked and concerned if Kopp and Galloway both start.  just because i'm counting on JHS being that good and Bates making that big of a jump.  very hard to believe that coaches today don't start the best players from day 1 if they are the best players.  as much as i love and miss good old school basketball, that's just an old way of thinking.  if Kopp and Galloway are 2 of our best 5 players, my expectations will be lowered.  now, if they aren't 2 of our best 5, but still start, i guess we could be okay, but still seems rare to have 2 of your best guys not starting.

If you listen to the Kenya podcast of hoosier hysterics, he pretty much says JHS will be starting g with X.   To me the 3 spot is the only question mark. Bates, JG, or Kopp...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hoosier_exotics said:

If you listen to the Kenya podcast of hoosier hysterics, he pretty much says JHS will be starting g with X.   To me the 3 spot is the only question mark. Bates, JG, or Kopp...

I hope it's not Kopp. That said, it'll probably be Kopp, even if it's just for his experience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

I hope it's not Kopp. That said, it'll probably be Kopp, even if it's just for his experience.

If he's deemed the best out of them, I don't see the issue? 

Sorry.. deemed the best to start the first 5-7 mins of each half.. with the others guys starting. I'm upset with TB if he allows that to happen. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

For going 90 on Walnut and getting arrested

I honestly don't think he's getting suspended for that at this point, nor should he be. 

Our starting point guard getting a speeding ticket (that's all it really ended up being) in the offseason is a big fat nothing burger. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I honestly don't think he's getting suspended for that at this point, nor should he be. 

Our starting point guard getting a speeding ticket (that's all it really ended up being) in the offseason is a big fat nothing burger. 

Agree to disagree on that point. Kids need to be held accountable for their actions and going 90 in a 40 is not excusable.  Also this was not his first offense for speeding and it should be reckless driving.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Real punishment is missing games and not just running steps.  I  will be disappointed in Woodson if XJ isn't suspended a couple of games.

Such a weird comment. What more do you think Xavier learns about his error by sitting a game in November that he wouldn't/couldn't learn before then? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Agree to disagree on that point. Kids need to be held accountable for their actions and going 90 in a 40 is not excusable.  Also this was not his first offense for speeding and it should be reckless driving.

So now he's a kid. Gotcha.