Let's start arguing about starting lineup again!

JHS's HC at Montverde says his most immediate impact in college will be on defense.  The director of his AAU program says he's a good defender on-ball, and he can guard 1-3.  A Rivals scout said that he's developing a reputation as a shutdown defender. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, slojoe said:

JHS's HC at Montverde says his most immediate impact in college will be on defense.  The director of his AAU program says he's a good defender on-ball, and he can guard 1-3.  A Rivals scout said that he's developing a reputation as a shutdown defender. 

I think he'll be ready to play defense at a college level and be able to adjust more slowly on offense. My personal expectations are that he starts next to XJ but is a secondary ball-handler and scorer, averaging something like 8-10 PPG and ~3-4 assists. 

In an ideal world, Bates takes a jump and JHS is clearly the 5th scoring option out of our starters, but even if not I don't see him being anything higher than our 4th scorer which is a great situation for him to come into as a freshman IMO. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm confused by this. It seems our roster is more then set. I don't really see anyone transferring now, they wouldn't even get immediate eligibility, plus.... there is no min crunch for our Top 9. 

Sorry, but JG future is at the 4. He needs to be playing 14-16 mpg and developing, he is the only one I could see transferring... and he has already said he is back. He needs to watch Grant Williams. 

It's just one of those things. Call it a hunch....or whatever. That eligibility thing isn't much to me or the NCAA anymore. You can cite a family circumstance and get immediate eligibility.

Hope I'm wrong! 

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Race, Trace, X, Kopp and Either Bates/Galloway

Coach Woodson played/started upper classmen all year unless he was forced to change the starting line-up.  I don't see him changing his old school way of thinking in this. He will start his upper classman and sub as needed from there.  JHS could very well get alot of minutes but i don't see him starting. He is a freshmen, is not a huge volume scorer (Averaged 11pts) and although is has a big body, that doesn't make him college level body ready.  He is a PG and we have out starting PG. 

Just my thoughts.  I hope i am wrong and he is a freaking beast and wins freshman of the year and all B1G honors and we in a B1G title and a NC to boot. 😁

I think this is a reasonable lineup, but I also haven't seen enough from Woody personally to say that I don't think he'll start freshman. We just didn't have anyone worth starting last year that wasn't an upper classmen; we tried Galloway a few times and he just seems to be better and have more impact coming off of the bench. Bates just wasn't ready, I'm really not sure who else we could have gone with? 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, slojoe said:

This...and leadership...tough for a freshman to be heard in a lineup with a lot of upper classmen, but I seem to remember a freshman guard who led IU to a final 4 with a pretty experienced cast around him...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

This...and leadership...tough for a freshman to be heard in a lineup with a lot of upper classmen, but I seem to remember a freshman guard who led IU to a final 4 with a pretty experienced cast around him...

"You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quinn."

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Another thing that I saw mentioned often in assessments of him was that he has often "played up" and adapted his game to what the team needed.  But he is considered a "true" PG who can play SG due to his size.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

"You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quinn."

And that's who he reminded me of when I watched his full games on ESPN this past year.

Tough, strong, and an out of this world basketball IQ. The caveat I think he can potentially be a much better shooter than Quinn was...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And that's who he reminded me of when I watched his full games on ESPN this past year.

Tough, strong, and an out of this world basketball IQ. The caveat I think he can potentially be a much better shooter than Quinn was...

Now if only Miller Kopp could transform into Steve Green and Trey Galloway into John Laskowski...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Sorry, but JG future is at the 4. He needs to be playing 14-16 mpg and developing, he is the only one I could see transferring... and he has already said he is back. He needs to watch Grant Williams. 

I agree that JG does not look like a 3. That said, both Woody and Kenya have said in interviews that they are preparing Geronimo for the 3 next season. I think this should pretty much end the Geronimo 3/4 debate. Whether or not he'll be successful is another debate.

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I agree that JG does not look like a 3. That said, both Woody and Kenya have said in interviews that they are preparing Geronimo for the 3 next season. I think this should pretty much end the Geronimo 3/4 debate. Whether or not he'll be successful is another debate.

I don't think he will play there much, at all. 

• Like 1

Just now, 5fouls said:

Do you think having TJD, RT, and JG on the floor at the same time hurts IU more on the offensive end or defensive end?

I would say it hurts more defensively. Not saying that because I think it would be a good offensive lineup, more because I think it would be a really bad defensive lineup. 

Both Race and JG consistently get lost on the perimeter, so to have them both out there with one as a true wing, I think would be a bad combo. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

I get that starting lineups matter, but who would ya'll prefer to have as the final 5, say for the last 4 minutes or so? I know it will differ on opponent, foul trouble, scoring, etc. Just curious, I think the final 5 is way more important than starting. JMO

Until I see the team play a few gamed, the only two I definitely put in that category are TJD and XJ.  Race is not a good FT shooter and is prone to defensive lapses.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I would say it hurts more defensively. Not saying that because I think it would be a good offensive lineup, more because I think it would be a really bad defensive lineup. 

Both Race and JG consistently get lost on the perimeter, so to have them both out there with one as a true wing, I think would be a bad combo. 

Kn a perfect world, where guys rise up to meet expectations in the offseason:  XJ, Bates, JHS, Geronimo, TJD.  I know Race is not getting pushed out of the starting lineup but I would prefer to swing him in with Reneau as the second unit. 

Geronimo just opens the floor up in a way that Race has not (up to this point).

10 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

I get that starting lineups matter, but who would ya'll prefer to have as the final 5, say for the last 4 minutes or so? I know it will differ on opponent, foul trouble, scoring, etc. Just curious, I think the final 5 is way more important than starting. JMO

Outside of XJ, TJD (I agree 100% with what 5fouls said about RT).... I think TG will be on the court a lot in the last 5 mins. 

• Like 1

Just now, BGleas said:

I would agree defense is the bigger concern because offensively I can see it working well.  Race can and does play some on the perimeter in the offense, and can help break a press or even bring it up himself in a pinch.  And. I think they both are capable enough to shoot 35% from 3.  

Having them both on the floor could result in a huge number of offensive boards and second chance points.

11 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

i know this always comes up.  very common comment when talking about starters.  the thing for me is that there is little doubt my answer would be the same whether starters or finishers.  now, without a doubt i we have a particular starter that is having a very bad game and a bench guy playing really well, sure swap them out.  i still like my 5 best players starting unless there is a real chemistry problem or positional problem.  i hate Purdouche more than anyone now that HTD is no longer with us, but i think Painter is a very good coach.  that said, it's very hard for me to understand Edey and Williams never seeing the floor together and each only playing half the game.  

4 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Better. All the returning players will get better. I’m also assuming that while JHS may not be better at shooting than Stewart, he may be better in all other aspects fo the game. I’ll predict that the ball will be in JHS’s hands more than twice as much as it was in Parker’s. And because Parker was more of a stagnant catch and shoot guy, this means more movement, more creation, more passing. 

In addition to IU being improved, much of the conference had big losses so the combination of a better team playing teams not as good should be meaningful.