Let's start arguing about starting lineup again!

11 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I agree that JG does not look like a 3. That said, both Woody and Kenya have said in interviews that they are preparing Geronimo for the 3 next season. I think this should pretty much end the Geronimo 3/4 debate. Whether or not he'll be successful is another debate.

JG future is at the 3. Its on him to improve. Whether we like it or not.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Ahhhhhh, the old 'shiny new' philosophy.  The truth is that existing players have been known to develop.  Keegan Murray and Johnny Davis developed.  Victor Oladipo developed.  Frank Kaminsky went from redshirting to being NPOY before he was done.  Tom Coverdale, with his limited  amount of raw athleticism, went from barely playing as a freshman to being the starting PG on a team that reached the National Championship.

Renault is good.  But, that does not automatically make him better than Geronimo.  

We all hope that JG develops and develops at a rate that would make him a 1st team all American if not NPOY, as you pointed out.  Im not arguing, I'm hopeful this kid continues to develop and elevate his game.  I'll ask the question this way.  Is a junior JG expected to be as good or better than a freshman, near consensus All-American TJD?  Probably not.  Malik is right there with TJD as a frosh if not slightly more skilled.  

Now what that means for playing time?  Probably means JG needs to develop on the perimeter so he can be justified playing with 2 other front court guys at the same time.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

We all hope that JG develops and develops at a rate that would make him a 1st team all American if not NPOY, as you pointed out.  Im not arguing, I'm hopeful this kid continues to develop and elevate his game.  I'll ask the question this way.  Is a junior JG expected to be as good or better than a freshman, near consensus All-American TJD?  Probably not.  Malik is right there with TJD as a frosh if not slightly more skilled.  

Now what that means for playing time?  Probably means JG needs to develop on the perimeter so he can be justified playing with 2 other front court guys at the same time.  

Its interesting how many times we have had this discussion about a 6'7 forward who is uber athletic but doesn't/wont get enough time at the 4 and isn't quite skilled enough with his handles and shot to play the 3.

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

Its interesting how many times we have had this discussion about a 6'7 forward who is uber athletic but doesn't/wont get enough time at the 4 and isn't quite skilled enough with his handles and shot to play the 3.

Ughhh, so much potential if he could get it together though.  A decent 3 point shooter.  Super strong, heck of a rebounder.  Can guard basically all 4s not named Keegan Murray.  Can guard most 5s.  Just would like him to dribble, pass, and guard 3s as well.  

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Ughhh, so much potential if he could get it together though.  A decent 3 point shooter.  Super strong, heck of a rebounder.  Can guard basically all 4s not named Keegan Murray.  Can guard most 5s.  Just would like him to dribble, pass, and guard 3s as well.  

Alot of that is between his ears. Knowing where to be, what the guy is going to do and how to react with muscle memory and not think about what to do.  he doesn't have the handles yet either for a 3 and his shot is more of a 4.  He is a slow shooting 3 point shooter and a true 3 will be in his face.  He need a quicker release.  He is uber talented.  Just in that bad height/skill level at the moment.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Is JG the IU Aaron Wheeler….you can see it but he never quite gets there 

he has the talent and size of Liddell or Gillis.  How many guys in the Big Ten have his level of athleticism & size?

I don't think Mason Gillis even remotely belongs in the same sentence as EJ Liddell...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

It's the offseason...and the discussion always veers into...

If we could just take our center and play him at his true position...the 4...he'll flourish....

And then we can take our power forward and move him to the 3 where he always belonged....

And then we can move our small forward to his natural spot at the 2 because I saw something on twitter where he did a couple of shooting drills.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Blazin Hazin said:

It's the offseason...and the discussion always veers into...

If we could just take our center and play him at his true position...the 4...he'll flourish....

And then we can take our power forward and move him to the 3 where he always belonged....

And then we can move our small forward to his natural spot at the 2 because I saw something on twitter where he did a couple of shooting drills.

Facts. 

People have said--- CZ, TJD, Bryant, and Vonleh were going to play the college 4. No, they weren't ever going to do that, and didn't ever do that. 

I won't get into the mis-categorizations at the 4. 

• Like 3

Starting lineup that I’m hoping for:

TJD

Race

Tamar

JHS

X

Really hoping Kopp doesn’t start, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kopp over Tamar. I think the 2nd unit needs more veteran presence, and Kopp, JG, and Galloway can provide that. I don’t want to see the NBA sub patterns again!!

2nd Unit:

JHS/Xavier (Always see one of them out there)

Galloway

Kopp

Geronimo

Reneau

Then a very solid backup after that with Banks, Gunn, Leal, and Duncomb. 

• Like 2

I don't know how it will all shake out, but:

I'm pretty sure that both kids from MD will play an awful lot, as will Bates.

Pretty sure that unless Kopp shoots 50% from outside, his PT will continue to shrink.

Trayce, Race and X will be the backbone.

If someone else proves to be the deadeye shooter we have been missing, he will also get a lot of time.

Finally, since Duncombe is our only true "big man", not only will he not be redshirted, but somehow MW will find a way to get him more PT.  Even with the limited time I saw him last year, it's clear he has more range, finesse and better shooting skills than that 7'4" monster they had/still have (?) at Purdue.  Just needs a bit more weight.

• Like 1