Schedule next year

12 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I thought you said we gotta a heckuva draw but nearly everyone seems to agree that we got maybe the worst draw of any team. 

I am one that says at first glance we got a bad draw.  But hey, it is June 17th.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

I thought you said we gotta a heckuva draw but nearly everyone seems to agree that we got maybe the worst draw of any team. 

Well, I said we got a heckuva draw in our 6 "single games". All 3 away games should be Ws... if they were @Purdue, @msu, and @osu I wouldn't have said that. 

Our 3 "home" only games--- are three teams, that shouldn't be close to the top of the conference and should be 3 Ws, as well. 

That's 6-0 right there.

I don't really see anything "out of the ordinary difficult" compared to any other B1G season. When Yogi was a FR we won at Top 5 MSU/UM... AND beat them at home. This schedule doesn't hold a candle that one. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Well, I said we got a heckuva draw in our 6 "single games". All 3 away games should be Ws... if they were @Purdue, @msu, and @osu I wouldn't have said. 

Our 3 "home" only games--- are three teams, that shouldn't be close to the top of the conference and should be 3 Ws, as well. 

That's 6-0 right there. Heckuva draw was from our 6 "single opponents"... 

I don't really see anything "out of the ordinary difficult" compared to any other B1G season. When Yogi was a FR we won at Top 5 MSU/UM... AND beat them at home. This schedule doesn't hold a candle that one. 

From the other board with their projected finishes.   Doesn't seem good.  We get all the good teams twice and the only bad team we drew twice is NW.  Hard to get any worse really imo.

FVZMHOWWYAIZTFs.jpg

Edited by dbmhoosier

54 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

From the other board with their projected finishes.   Doesn't seem good.  We get all the good teams twice and the only bad team we drew twice is NW.  Hard to get any worse really imo.

FVZMHOWWYAIZTFs.jpg

Why would sweeping any of the "better teams" this year be that difficult? None of them look all that good... or certainly not like world beaters. 

Undoubtedly, one or two, will rise above the rest... but their ceiling seems very "just top 20". Like I don't see any of those teams being a top 2 seed. So.. why are we scared of them? 

I have no idea what the other board is, or why their predictions matter. Or anyone of (our) predictions matter. 

I looked at the schedule and saw 6 freebies and was licking my chops, I'll refer to you on what we need to be worried about. I'm not seeing it. 

• Like 1

I don't think this is a bad schedule. We're predicted/favored to be Big Ten Champions, so we're going to need to win tough games against tough opponents. It's silly to hope that we get "good" teams once (at home) and "bad" teams twice.

Because of our recent mediocrity (to put it lightly), I think as a fanbase we've bought into a mindset of "we have to play them." Given our returning pieces and trajectory back to the top of the conference (and hopefully college basketball at large), it will be good to have the "they have to play us" mentality.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I don't think this is a bad schedule. We're predicted/favored to be Big Ten Champions, so we're going to need to win tough games against tough opponents. It's silly to hope that we get "good" teams once (at home) and "bad" teams twice.

Because of our recent mediocrity (to put it lightly), I think as a fanbase we've bought into a mindset of "we have to play them." Given our returning pieces and trajectory back to the top of the conference (and hopefully college basketball at large), it will be good to have the "they have to play us" mentality.

Great post.  With the talent we're accumulating, and coaching staff we have in place,  the fears of the rest of the league may be realized. The IU sleeping giant has been awoken.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Why would sweeping any of the "better teams" this year be that difficult? None of them look all that good... or certainly not like world beaters. 

Undoubtedly, one or two, will rise above the rest... but their ceiling seems very "just top 20". Like I don't see any of those teams being a top 2 seed. So.. why are we scared of them? 

I have no idea what the other board is, or why their predictions matter. Or anyone of (our) predictions matter. 

I looked at the schedule and saw 6 freebies and was licking my chops, I'll refer to you on what we need to be worried about. I'm not seeing it. 

Unfortunately, the last 20 years have created in our fan base what I call the “Eeyore syndrome.” Always looking for the worst case scenario. Always… ALWAYS, pessimistic. We have to start putting winning seasons together, not the one offs that were the Crean years, to turn the mindset to one that we should expect to be at or near the top of the standings, every year.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Unfortunately, the last 20 years have created in our fan base what I call the “Eeyore syndrome.” Always looking for the worst case scenario. Always… ALWAYS, pessimistic. We have to start putting winning seasons together, not the one offs that were the Crean years, to turn the mindset to one that we should expect to be at or near the top of the standings, every year.

What you call "Eeyore", I call "eyesore"...lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

FVZMHOWWYAIZTFs.jpg

Yeah, based on predicted finish it’s def not the best schedule, but we’re supposed to be the favorites so let’s go show it. 

7 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Yeah, based on predicted finish it’s def not the best schedule, but we’re supposed to be the favorites so let’s go show it. 

One good thing is that we'll have a real shot to beat every team in the league at least once.  Of the teams we only play once at MD is the only one where we won't be a massive favorite but still probably favored.

Another way to look at it is that playing Ill, UM, MSU, Iowa, the Toiletmakers, etc. twice will better prepare us for the postseason than playing Nebraska, Penn State, Minnesota twice.  Embrace the schedule.  If we are who we think we are, the tougher schedule will test us in a good way.  Teach us how to compete in close games.  Teach us to bring 100% every time we take the court.  Teach us what it takes to win against the type of opponents we will see in March.

• Like 7

INDIANA:   Plays the 5 best teams twice; and 5 of the 6 worst teams only once.

ILLINOIS:  Plays 6 of the 7 best teams only once; plays the 6 worst teams twice

IOWA:       Plays 4 of the top 6 teams once; plays 5 of the 7 worst teams twice

Illinois got a HUGE favor in scheduling.  We are definitely disadvantaged compared to Illinois and Iowa

Edited by andy_puiu
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Hippopotamo said:

Mods, please delete if I’m asking in the wrong place, but does anyone know when tickets for the IU Kansas game will go on sale? I’m trying to go with a friend of mine. 

If KU is like IU there won’t be single game tickets available. All tickets will be sold as part of the season ticket package and I have to believe they sell out.

Your best bet will likely be to watch the secondary market.

• Thanks 1