Will NBA evolution come to IU?

Great share! I only had time to skim the article but really looking forward to reading more. 

At a high level, this article highlights why I can't see JG being a wing in a lineup with TJD and Race. One, because he hasn't shown any wing skills through two seasons, but also because the game is changing. 

As the article said, the real change in basketball hasn't been eliminating centers or more guards, it's been the removal of the traditional power forward. 

Gone are the Charles Oakley's, PJ Brown's, Horace Grant's, etc. 

Teams now basically play guards and wings, with a versatile almost 3rd wing at the 4 and then a center. 

I know this hasn't completely trickled down to college yet, but I still don't see a scenario where IU goes XJ, JHS, JG, Race, TJD. It's just counter to the entire direction the game is going. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, BGleas said:

Great share! I only had time to skim the article but really looking forward to reading more. 

At a high level, this article highlights why I can't see JG being a wing in a lineup with TJD and Race. One, because he hasn't shown any wing skills through two seasons, but also because the game is changing. 

As the article said, the real change in basketball hasn't been eliminating centers or more guards, it's been the removal of the traditional power forward. 

Gone are the Charles Oakley's, PJ Brown's, Horace Grant's, etc. 

Teams now basically play guards and wings, with a versatile almost 3rd wing at the 4 and then a center. 

I know this hasn't completely trickled down to college yet, but I still don't see a scenario where IU goes XJ, JHS, JG, Race, TJD. It's just counter to the entire direction the game is going. 

I agree…I haven’t seen it posted but I could almost seeing is go XJ, JHS, Bates, Thompson, TJD

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gnet550 said:

I agree…I haven’t seen it posted but I could almost seeing is go XJ, JHS, Bates, Thompson, TJD

IMO... Race and TJD are the same type of player with TJD being the better version of course.  JG's ability to get up and down the floor, guard different positions, and hopefully improvement in shooting and driving make him an ideal 4. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JJack said:

IMO... Race and TJD are the same type of player with TJD being the better version of course.  JG's ability to get up and down the floor, guard different positions, and hopefully improvement in shooting and driving make him an ideal 4. 

He's an ideal 4 for us. But unless he develops at the 3, his NBA aspirations will die off quickly. Woody needs to win obviously,  but identifying and developing players at their next level positions is crucial for recruiting. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

He's an ideal 4 for us. But unless he develops at the 3, his NBA aspirations will die off quickly. Woody needs to win obviously,  but identifying and developing players at their next level positions is crucial for recruiting. 

Gotta disagree with this. Does JG need to greatly improve his perimeter skills to play in the NBA? Absolutely. 

But he doesn't need to be a 3 (if that's even a thing anymore) in college or really the NBA. Watching the NBA, Grant Williams plays the 4 and 5 for the Celtics, PJ Tucker plays the "4" for the Heat, Jae Crowder plays the "4" for the Suns, Draymond Green plays the 4 and the 5 for Golden State, Batum plays the 4 for the Clippers, Herbert Jones plays the 4 for the Pelicans, etc., etc.

I think JG has miles and miles to go to even be considered an NBA player, but if he gets there his role would be this 4 & D or 3 & D role, but most of the times now an NBA 3 & D guy is a college 4. 

• Like 1