They Have Ruined Steak N Shake

Steak N Shake has always been one of my favorite places to eat.  the one in Clarksville went to drive thru only during the pandemic, and I never considered it a viable drive thru type meal, so never went.  Not sure when it opened back up inside, but my wife and I were looking for somewhere to eat after a yard sale today, and I mentioned that we should go there.  Was looking forward to my first Steakburger in over 2 years.

We walked in and stood there looking stupid for about a minute waiting for a hostess to sit us.  After a while we realized they had kiosks for ordering, and a counter to pick up your food.  I don't mind the pick-up counter at all, but I absolutely loathe having to order my food using a kiosk.  My wife knows this and offers to order for us while I go find somewhere to sit.  We prefer booths over tables, and I walk past several empty ones that were dirty before getting to the last one in the place before finding it to be clean.

As I am waiting for my wife to finish at the kiosk (which took her several minutes just for the two of us), I witnessed one older gentleman who had to come to the counter and help him because he could not figure out the kiosk.  Another gentleman went up to the counter to inquire on his shakes, only to show the lady behind the counter his receipt, at which time she pointed out he did not order shakes.  He thought he had (of course using the kiosk to order). 

It was also evident that several people were getting their food several minutes after their food.  The guy who thought he ordered shakes, had to go back to the kiosk to order them and then got in a shouting match with another customer who he felt stole his shakes when they came out. 

My wife ordered a shake (I did not) and it was not ready when our food came.  Portions were significantly smaller than pre-pandemic.  My steakburger had a stale bun.  Overall, just not a good experience.  What used to be one of our favorite places to eat has gone to crap.  My son and I would always stop at ones in Seymour or the Indy area if we travelled up that way to watch a ball game.  Not sure that will remain that way, as I refuse to eat at places where I have to use a kiosk to make my order. 

Have the ones in the Indy area gone to this time of setup?

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

• 5fouls changed the title to They Have Ruined Steak N Shake

Next time you're near Madison, Wisconsin visit the Hubbard Avenue Diner.  When you order a shake (from a live person at your table), you not only get a full real-glass shake, you also get the metal container it was mixed in.  Just like the old days. 

Really good food, too.  Full menu.  Burgers to salmon.  Breakfast all day.  Homemade-style pies, baked fresh on site.  Order cherry or peach pie warm with ice cream. 

Edit:  this is my 500th post!  And I spent it talking about pie with 5fouls.  Ha.  Go IU !

https://www.travelwisconsin.com/uploads/places/80/8061d528-81d0-461d-abc1-9baa2cce424c-hubbard-ave.jpg

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Dr. Jones said:

The ones in Indy are the same with kiosks for ordering and no table service.  I have also noticed that the burgers have shrunk in size.  I prefer to go to Culvers or Freddys now.

Freddy's is definitely better now.  Unfortunately, we don't have one down this way.  We do have a Culvers, and I really like it.  But, Steak N Shake was always different.  Not the same now. 

• Like 1

I knew Steak 'n Shake had lost it luster when they put one in our town in Maryland about 6-7 years ago. 

It's always the same with those types of places. They have a great thing and then they try to replicate it all over the country and they outgrow and can't mass produce what made them great. 

I was all excited and took the family there and they ended up all confused as to why I was hyping it up so much. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Madison22 said:

Next time you're near Madison, Wisconsin visit the Hubbard Avenue Diner.  When you order a shake (from a live person at your table), you not only get a full real-glass shake, you also get the metal container it was mixed in.  Just like the old days. 

Really good food, too.  Full menu.  Burgers to salmon.  Breakfast all day.  Homemade-style pies, baked fresh on site.  Order cherry or peach pie warm with ice cream. 

Edit:  this is my 500th post!  And I spent it talking about pie with 5fouls.  Ha.  Go IU !

https://www.travelwisconsin.com/uploads/places/80/8061d528-81d0-461d-abc1-9baa2cce424c-hubbard-ave.jpg

So sad to learn that Ella’s Deli closed

• Like 1

I used to go to one in Fort Wayne that was near where my grandma lived. About 5 years ago, she had to be moved to a care facility and I've only been there like twice since then. The last time I was there, it was a mess. 4 p.m. on a Tuesday and I had to wait almost an hour for a carryout order. Then when they finally had my order ready, it was wrong, so I spent another 20 minutes waiting for them to fix it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I used to go to one in Fort Wayne that was near where my grandma lived. About 5 years ago, she had to be moved to a care facility and I've only been there like twice since then. The last time I was there, it was a mess. 4 p.m. on a Tuesday and I had to wait almost an hour for a carryout order. Then when they finally had my order ready, it was wrong, so I spent another 20 minutes waiting for them to fix it. 

You should have went to Lee's Famous Recipe!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Steak and Shake in Auburn, right along I-69 closed last year. Billboard had been up advertising ownership in the franchise with $150 k income potential 

I do believe that is what happened here in Warsaw.  Ended up that Culvers bought the property.  So now we have 2 Culvers and 0 Steak N Shakes.

• Like 1

Long standing Steak n Shake family here on many levels. We used to eat at the first one ever in Normal, Illinois off and on. Loved their food for so long but like many who struggle with their food identity they didn't know what they were. Sit down and charge a bit more.....or focus on quickness of turning tables over and eventually going kiosk because of Covid.

The two we still visit occasionally just isn't the same. I order a meal and find myself getting another just to get full. Such a shame. Had a chance to get to meet/know E. W. Kelly in late 90's....and I can assure he's rolling over in his grave with what they've become.

We still go from time to time (just like White Castle) but it's more out of tradition than knowing we'll have a good meal. 

• Like 2

I am a Culver's guy...I love their burgers. Schoops (a small chain) up north and Redamaks in New Buffalo MI are some of the best burgers I have had as well. 

But...it sucks when your favorite food places change for the worse. It has happened to us with a pizza place we used to love so I can relate. Hopefully they find their way back for those of you who love the Steak and Shake burgers.

Edited by FritzIam4IU

6 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I am a Culver's guy...I love their burgers. Schoops (a small chain) up north and Redamaks in New Buffalo MI are some of the best burgers I have had as well. 

But...it sucks when your favorite food places change for the worse. It has happened to us with a pizza place we used to love so I can relate. Hopefully they find their way back for those of you who love the Steak and Shake burgers.

Schoops moved out of Warsaw a year or so ago.  Popeye's is located there now.

3 hours ago, rico said:

Schoops moved out of Warsaw a year or so ago.  Popeye's is located there now.

I wonder how many are left? I used to go to the one in Michigan City and Valparaiso.

I used to love their breakfast food as well. I think it has been 3-4 years since I had it.

Edited by FritzIam4IU

On the rare occasion I go to steak n shake anymore is for a Chili Mac and cherry sprite. Last one I went to was in bedford probably about 6 months ago. It's wasn't too bad. I got an original triple steak burger, don't think anything smaller would have been enough and the menu looked smaller. 

Anymore I find myself making copycats of what I'm craving using better quality ingredients.  Mostly due to lack of access. I believe I've perfected the Arby's beef n cheddar.

For Christmas I got a cast iron griddle for the grill and a utensil set to make diner style smashburgers. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

On the rare occasion I go to steak n shake anymore is for a Chili Mac and cherry sprite. Last one I went to was in bedford probably about 6 months ago. It's wasn't too bad. I got an original triple steak burger, don't think anything smaller would have been enough and the menu looked smaller. 

Anymore I find myself making copycats of what I'm craving using better quality ingredients.  Mostly due to lack of access. I believe I've perfected the Arby's beef n cheddar.

For Christmas I got a cast iron griddle for the grill and a utensil set to make diner style smashburgers. 

You are going to need to post how to make the Arby beef n cheddars. My kids love Arbys.

• Like 1