They Have Ruined Steak N Shake

I like Kiosk ordering, but not as a universal thing. I like it at McDonald's, I would not like it at all at Steak N Shake. Steak N Shake patty melt was ungodly legit, or at least at 2AM on a Fri or Sat night it used to be pretty good. 

It's hard for me to go anywhere but Chick Fila if one is close. Or McAlisters. It's at least clean, and at least good service. 

21 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I am a Culver's guy...I love their burgers. Schoops (a small chain) up north and Redamaks in New Buffalo MI are some of the best burgers I have had as well. 

But...it sucks when your favorite food places change for the worse. It has happened to us with a pizza place we used to love so I can relate. Hopefully they find their way back for those of you who love the Steak and Shake burgers.

Culvers is ok but I've grown tired of them.  I'd say Freddys has replaced Steak N Shake.  Stopped at Redamaks a few times and it is good but not good enough to deal with their crowds. Last few times I called ahead for carry out.   

If I want a good burger. I'll go to Red Robin, then 5 Guys, Bouna Beef (like their burger much better than Portillos) and then Wendys.

Speaking of Portillos, their prices are getting outrageous. I got their Italian Beef over the weekend. No drink, no sides. Was $7.91.  For $8, you should get a combo meal. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I like Kiosk ordering, but not as a universal thing. I like it at McDonald's, I would not like it at all at Steak N Shake. Steak N Shake patty melt was ungodly legit, or at least at 2AM on a Fri or Sat night it used to be pretty good. 

It's hard for me to go anywhere but Chick Fila if one is close. Or McAlisters. It's at least clean, and at least good service. 

I agree with you regarding Chick Fil A and McAlisters. Both are good, consistent quality. I do prefer Popeyes for chicken, though. Amazing how McAlisters seem to be opening everywhere. 

Just now, Reacher said:

Culvers is ok but I've grown tired of them.  I'd say Freddys has replaced Steak N Shake.  Stopped at Redamaks a few times and it is good but not good enough to deal with their crowds. Last few times I called ahead for carry out.   

If I want a good burger. I'll go to Red Robin, then 5 Guys, Bouna Beef (like their burger much better than Portillos) and then Wendys.

Speaking of Portillos, their prices are getting outrageous. I got their Italian Beef over the weekend. No drink, no sides. Was $7.91.  For $8, you should get a combo meal. 

I agree with you regarding Chick Fil A and McAlisters. Both are good, consistent quality. I do prefer Popeyes for chicken, though. Amazing how McAlisters seem to be opening everywhere. 

Yeah, I like Popeyes sammies better, but I'll save that for the chicken war thread lol 

5 guys and Red Robin really do have good food. 

16 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

You are going to need to post how to make the Arby beef n cheddars. My kids love Arbys.

I buy onion buns(any bun you like will work) and roast beef from the deli.  I like boars head. I butter and toast the buns and warm up the roast beef with a little bit of beef stock in the skillet.

Cheese sauce(can adjust but keep ratio)

4oz sharp cheddar

4oz American 

1/4 cup half and half

Stir on low/med low heat until melted

Arbys red sauce(I spice to taste but spice measurements should be close)

1 cup ketchup

2 tbsp apple cider or white vinegar

1/2 tsp honey

1/2 tsp paprika

A little garlic and onion powder

Salt 

1/4 water

2 tsp Mayo 

You can make and reheat sauce or cook and let simmer 5-10 mins. Just need to let flavors come together. 

Edited by mrflynn03
Honey instead of sugar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2022 at 11:53 AM, Reacher said:

We usually get Redamaks to go. But I like them way more than Red Robin or 5 Guys. Not sure if they do this anymore, but when I lived in the area, Redamaks used to have a "Working person special" where you could get a single or double cheeseburger with fries for a good price for lunch Monday-Friday. I used to go with my uncle several times to get that.

I've never had Bouna Beef or Freddys.

I don't think I could tire of Culvers, but I only go there a handful of times a year anymore. The kids love the cheese curds and I like their onion rings as well.

Agree that Wendys has the best fast food burger by far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

We usually get Redamaks to go. But I like them way more than Red Robin or 5 Guys. Not sure if they do this anymore, but when I lived in the area, Redamaks used to have a "Working person special" where you could get a single or double cheeseburger with fries for a good price for lunch Monday-Friday. I used to go with my uncle several times to get that.

I've never had Bouna Beef or Freddys.

I don't think I could tire of Culvers, but I only go there a handful of times a year anymore. The kids love the cheese curds and I like their onion rings as well.

Agree that Wendys has the best fast food burger by far.

Freddy's burger is better than Wendy's.  Find the one nearest to you and give it a shot.

• Like 1

Me and my grandmother used to visit Steak N Shake quite often. We quit going years ago because the food portions had gotten quite small. Usually took me ordering 2 meals to get full. And they usually got my grandmother's order wrong (granted she is a weirdo in terms of choices). If all this is true, I likely won't go back. I prefer Chick-fil-A and Roadhouse these days.