Grad Transfers?

HoosierKix

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

You say Smith has untapped potential... wouldn't Durham be able to improve his shooting? Hunter can play the 3. Understood on the Anderson thing. 

Sure, I never said Durham couldn't improve his shooting, but he has a long way to go in becoming a good shooter and more importantly he has a long way to go to have confidence in his shot. There were a lot of occasions last year when he had an open shot outside and didn't take it. That speaks volumes to me. I want to see that kid succeed so bad. After like 5 games last year I remember declaring him my favorite player because of his ability and willingness to take charges, scrappiness, IQ and demeanor. Unfortunately, some of that didn't carry-on throughout the season and his shot and confidence seemed iffy at best. His shot definitely can improve and I'm not in the business of naming a kid my favorite player if I think he'll clank it throughout his career, but he needs to believe in himself before I can believe in him.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great post, Astros,  I could not agree more.

Last season, how many 3-17 from three games did we have to suffer through?  There's no way that roster was winning with that type of output consistently.  I would like to recruit a combination of skill sets and not overcompensate to be sure, but I think we need another cold blooded shooter.

51 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What has Smith shown for you to be comfortable with him at the 3? Anderson is not going to be the second guy off the bench at the 3 position, I am pretty confident in that... he simply isn't ready. 

Green>Phinesee

Romeo> Durham

McRoberts>Hunter

Smith>Thompson

Juwan>Davis>Forrester 

This is where my thinking is too, especially at the start of the year.  With some of the good things I have read about Hunter, I admit I have never seen him play, I would hope under the above scenario he might be able to supplant McRoberts by year's end.  I love the little, unsung things McRoberts does, but I'd like to see a guy who seems to have a lot of potential begin to realize it and become hard not to start.  

I hate it when posters always overrate the new guy coming in while undervaluing the player who is already there.   

And yet- I'm guilty of this when thinking of the point guard situation.  

I really hope Phinesee is a better point guard than Green.  Green at the point 25mpg just gives me an ulcer.

It'll be very interesting to see his progress.  I suppose he could change into a guy like Verdell Jones did- still frustrating at times- but useful as a senior. And if we land Romeo and keep Juwan, maybe Green's decision making will improve when the options around him are more talented.  

5 hours ago, Blazin Hazin said:

I hate it when posters always overrate the new guy coming in while undervaluing the player who is already there.   

And yet- I'm guilty of this when thinking of the point guard situation.  

I really hope Phinesee is a better point guard than Green.  Green at the point 25mpg just gives me an ulcer.

It'll be very interesting to see his progress.  I suppose he could change into a guy like Verdell Jones did- still frustrating at times- but useful as a senior. And if we land Romeo and keep Juwan, maybe Green's decision making will improve when the options around him are more talented.  

I think Green could really make a jump this year. The Guy is oozing with potential and has the talent to take over games but decision making is lacking severely. Hopefully Archie can help him put the pieces together. Green is going to be a huge part to our team in terms of what we do next year. I don't think Phinisee is going to come in and start. I think he will be a solid back up off the bench that handles the ball and gets the ball to the right place who eventually might grow into the starting role by season end.  I expect AL or Green to start at the 1 at least at the beginning of the year. 

23 hours ago, Astrosws20 said:

I simply put Anderson there because he's a SF and everyone else is PF. I haven't seen him play. All I'm going by is scouting reports and I'm not going to eliminate him from the roster without having seen him play. I put the whole roster on there. Obviously Blackmon and others won't play.

I'm not comfortable with Smith at the 3, but he has some of the best athleticism and untapped potential on the team to be able to expand his game.

Like I mentioned above, we need shooters who can stretch the floor. I don't see Hunter as a SF and if Durham is to backup Romeo at SG we'll be in trouble because Al simply can't shoot. If Josh, Al, Devonte and Phinisee aren't spending all day everyday working on their shots then we're in trouble without a grad transfer guard.

Hunter is a natural 3. He can really shoot it and has a pretty decent handle. I think he's definitely a top 7 or 8 rotation guy next year, and I would not be surprised if he's a starter.

I love Smith, but do not see him as a 3 at all. I want Smith flying around the basket, not with the ball in his hands on the perimeter.

• 3 weeks later...

Nick Baumgart had some good analysis the other day saying that Green has like a 11% chance based on historicals of being a good PG.  

Luke Winn went back and look at players similar to Green this past year and only 11% of players with less than a 100 rating had a above 100 rating the following year.  100 is average.   

Wasn't sure where to put this. According to Jon Rothstein Wichita St grad transfer Austin Reaves is now considering IU, Michigan, and Purdue. He put this up on his twitter timeline 40 minutes after discussing Fitzner transfer. I guess I'll ask the question. Does that mean someone is leaving? Or an indicator on Morgan? 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Wasn't sure where to put this. According to Jon Rothstein Wichita St grad transfer Austin Reaves is now considering IU, Michigan, and Purdue. He put this up on his twitter timeline 40 minutes after discussing Fitzner transfer. I guess I'll ask the question. Does that mean someone is leaving? Or an indicator on Morgan? 

That’s a good question. I’d say that time will tell as far as Morgan goes... I’m banking on Morgan coming back, but it’s still too early to tell.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

FWIW, I was talking to someone close to the program this week, and they said not to take it for granted that Morgan is going to come back.  Apparently he has seemed inclined recently to leave if a team says they’ll take him in the second round or even to head for the money overseas.  Hopefully landing Langford changes the calculation a bit.

34 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

FWIW, I was talking to someone close to the program this week, and they said not to take it for granted that Morgan is going to come back.  Apparently he has seemed inclined recently to leave if a team says they’ll take him in the second round or even to head for the money overseas.  Hopefully landing Langford changes the calculation a bit.

Just seems odd. This is a guy who’s skills could translate into a first round selection...leaving school for Europe makes no sense. Leaving for a second round decision doesn’t seem to make much sense either.

2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Not doubting anything that’s being said but, I was told he’s already informed the staff he’s coming back.  Just wants to see what the gurus think he needs to work on the most.  Im sure Romeo will only help ease his mind to come back also.

I want to believe this so I'll go with this side...haha. I do remember his comments before the season where he said Bryant, OG,etc...all said you have to hurry up and get to here. I've always felt a bit uneasy thinking JM going pro....but I have to believe he sees the benefit of another year especially now that Romeo will be drawing even more and more attention on the court and to the program. 

6 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Not doubting anything that’s being said but, I was told he’s already informed the staff he’s coming back.  Just wants to see what the gurus think he needs to work on the most.  Im sure Romeo will only help ease his mind to come back also.

This sounds precisely like the script I would have written this kid.

Archived