Big Ten Divisions/Schedules

In no way can I confirm this is legit, but I was told today that the Big Ten is indeed scrapping the divisions and this will start in 2023 (not exactly new there).  In addition, I was told that each team would be able to keep 2 protected rivals.  I don't know if that means every team will have 2 or just that they can have 2.

Edited by thirdgenhoosier
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

I want IL as our protected rival :D

I second your nomination.  IL and PU.  Hope they go back to 8 conference games as well. Need to get back on a level playing field with other conferences. 3 non-conf gimmes,  1 power 5 opponent,  PU and ILL, plus the rest of our B1G schedule. Much easier path to an annual bowl appearance. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

In no way can I confirm this is legit, but I was told today that the Big Ten is indeed scrapping the divisions and this will start in 2023 (not exactly new there).  In addition, I was told that each team would be able to keep 2 protected rivals.  I don't know if that means every team will have 2 or just that they can have 2.

I’ve heard the same thing.  Also noticed that the Big Ten portions of the 2023 and beyond football schedules have been removed from the IU athletics website.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I would bet ours would be PU and MSU

In the pre-division era of Big Ten football, there were years we didn't play MSU. Each team had two protected rivals. Ours were Purdue and Illinois. If we get different protected rivals this time around, it will likely be due to there being more teams in the league now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

In the pre-division era of Big Ten football, there were years we didn't play MSU. Each team had two protected rivals. Ours were Purdue and Illinois. If we get different protected rivals this time around, it will likely be due to there being more teams in the league now. 

I’d also like to think MSU has a higher priority secondary rival than us. If there were no “trophy” that game wouldn’t be considered a rivalry game by either fan base. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Was coming over to share that. There isn't a program in the Big10 that will benefit from doing away from divisions more than IU. Shoot I'd take Iowa, Wiscy, and Sparty as our 3 and we'd still be in far better shape than having to play a combination of Michigan, Michigan St, Penn St, and Ohio St in 4 straight weeks....and it's not just because those teams a great teams it's the toll of playing those 4 in a row as well. 

The West can cite their W/L total vs East in crossover games all they want. It's the totality of playing the 4 in a row that gets you.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

SEC can't be that tough if it only has one offensive player on the Big Ten preseason all-conference team.  

No, no, no. You are.missing.it.

Auburn did not realign. Just the running back.

So when he goes from 200 yards against Ole Miss, it will actually count as Big Ten stats.

Something to do with the NIL or something. I don't know.  

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

I want Purdue and Ohio St. I want a chance to have a signature game on our resume every year. I also want to recruit kids who know they will be playing against the best competition in the B1G and will have that game tape on display for NFL scouts. If you want to build this thing to be anything significant at all you want to have that signature game on your schedule every year and an opportunity for that big win that will vault us up into the rankings. It’s important to me.