XJ Update

So, I know some feel this is no big deal, but this isn't good right?

Latest on case involving IU PG Xavier Johnson, a pretrial conference in scheduled for June 27 in Bloomington. Johnson faces one misdemeanor count for reckless driving and one felony count for evading law enforcement #iubb
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Latest on case involving IU PG Xavier Johnson, a pretrial conference in scheduled for June 27 in Bloomington. Johnson faces one misdemeanor count for reckless driving and one felony count for evading law enforcement #iubb

It's honestly the biggest of no big deals in the history of no big deals (in the eyes of the court).....pretrial diversion program and it's removed from his record or small probation. Not an issue. Most cases however small or large they are have multiple pretrial conferences on the docket. Basically it's an update to the court....otherwise no big deal.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

That felony will probably get knocked down to a misdemeanor as part of a plea agreement and he'll likely get a pretrial diversion. So he'll be looking at some fines, probation (likely unsupervised), maybe some community service, and then it'll get expunged from his record when completed. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

It's honestly the biggest of no big deals in the history of no big deals (in the eyes of the court).....pretrial diversion program and it's removed from his record or small probation. Not an issue. Most cases however small or large they are have multiple pretrial conferences on the docket. Basically it's an update to the court....otherwise no big deal.

This. They keep setting dates making sure you show up and walk the line. Then they will plead everything down. Swain actually walked back and clarified comments. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Victobmyboy said:

This. They keep setting dates making sure you show up and walk the line. Then they will plead everything down. Swain actually walked back and clarified comments. 

Swain was a little bi... 20 yrs ago. before he wanted to be a bigger fish in a small pond. All hat, no cattle. I will give him credit though, he's weathered the politics of Monroe County (while being a contributor in the storm).  

• Like 1

In 1988, I got a 1987 Daytona Pacifica 4 cylinder turbo to 127 mph west of Washington before I had to lift for a big curve coming into Wheatland. 

Hard for me to get excited about what X did.  Foolish, yes, but except for Scott, we've all been young and foolish at some point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

In 1988, I got a 1987 Daytona Pacifica 4 cylinder turbo to 127 mph west of Washington before I had to lift for a big curve coming into Wheatland. 

Hard for me to get excited about what X did.  Foolish, yes, but except for Scott, we've all been young and foolish at some point.

a 2.2 liter up to 127 mph... You sir were much more impressive that what X did, in a 370+ hps charger (I think it was).

Don't lie, you had to get a run at it didn't you! lol. Down hill, wind at your back, make the passengers get out. :)

Not diggin at ya, just having fun. Those where quick, fast little cars that where extremely fun to drive!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I've done about 120 on sportsman's road after the part that curves left then right on the straight away going to the intersection where the DNR office is. Multiple times. 

Now I find myself having to speed up to hit the legal limit. Lol!

59 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

a 2.2 liter up to 127 mph... You sir were much more impressive that what X did, in a 370+ hps charger (I think it was).

Don't lie, you had to get a run at it didn't you! lol. Down hill, wind at your back, make the passengers get out. :)

Not diggin at ya, just having fun. Those where quick, fast little cars that where extremely fun to drive!

I bought that one new in 1988 coming out of college and spent extra to have the Shelby ground effects installed.  Black with a burgundy leather interior...that was a really sweet little car and I drove it just past 100,000 miles before I sold it. 

Those who know the area, highway 50 west of the twin bridges in Maysville was a 2-lane road back then that curved to the right entering Wheatland.  It's pretty flat until you reached that uphill curve (today it's a 4 lane bypass that curves just a little left to run south of Wheatland) and looking at Google maps, appears to be maybe a little more than two miles.  I mashed it just after getting across the twin bridges over the White River and didn't lift until I got pretty close to that curve.  The ground effects helped, but I'm confident I would have rolled it trying to take that curve.  I had a witness friend with me white-knuckling it and a digital speed indicator (in 1987!) so he could attest that the speed was accurate.  Never before or since have I done that kind of speed...was damned stupid for more than one reason, but was a rush to a 22-year-old kid...

...so I get X's foolishness and am just glad no one was hurt.  Man, do I miss that car though.

• Like 1

There were 4 kids in a car at a stop light up here in Madison.  Stomped it when the light turned green.  Flew 90 mph on a residential street.  Good time!  What fun!  Hahahaha!

Lost it on a curve.  Car flipped and slid a long way, throwing sparks and slowing the speed until it hit a telephone pole.  Spilled gas ignited.  Upside down, couldn't get out.  All burned to death while alive and awake.  Witnesses heard them screaming for longer than you'd expect.

That happened 5 blocks from my house.

Without trying hard, I can think of a dozen stories like that, including 2 guys from my high school class.  Treating a car like a toy, and then dead.  I knew IU students that died in stupid crashes, totally their fault.

So I'm not a fan of "it's just a rite of passage and everyone does it."

Whenever someone important to me gets his or her driver's license, I offer them a $100 bill if they can make it through the summer after they graduate from high school without an accident of any kind - even if it's not their fault.  Even if they're not driving.  And I tell them one or two of the death stories. 

Haven't lost anyone yet, but not many collect the $100.

Almost all of them have lost friends in that same time frame, though.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@Madison22, please don't think I was minimizing the stupidity of what many of us have done in our youth.  I readily admit it was dumb.  I'm simply saying it's pretty common and having done something similar myself, I'm having a hard time casting stones at X here.  He'll get a lot more punishment than I did since he got caught and I'm guessing he'll not repeat that offense as a result.  He and I are both fortunate that no one got hurt.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Swain was a little bi... 20 yrs ago. before he wanted to be a bigger fish in a small pond. All hat, no cattle. I will give him credit though, he's weathered the politics of Monroe County (while being a contributor in the storm).  

Won’t argue that. His comments showed that the officer probably got a talking to. Probably no video evidence of what happened. In the spot this occurred it’s easy to lose sight of either car which changes how it’s prosecuted and defended. 

9 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I raced in the exact spot X was caught at. Except I had an 86 Buick grand national. Used to pick on the college kids and their mustang 5.0s. Foolish and fun. 

10 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Don't lie, you had to get a run at it didn't you! lol. Down hill, wind at your back, make the passengers get out.

The first years of those turbo Dodges had so much turbo lag, you could use a calendar to time how long it took for boost to hit. Once it did though….oh yes…..

• Haha 1

This isn’t a pre-trial diversion meeting, it’s a pre-trial conference. They’re very different. Let one of the lawyers weigh in more than me, but I would not say it’s a guarantee he gets diversion when there is a felony on the table. 

He can likely still get a plea deal but they’re gonna take a bite out of his rear end. 

1 hour ago, HoosierFaithful said:

This isn’t a pre-trial diversion meeting, it’s a pre-trial conference. They’re very different. Let one of the lawyers weigh in more than me, but I would not say it’s a guarantee he gets diversion when there is a felony on the table. 

He can likely still get a plea deal but they’re gonna take a bite out of his rear end. 

Monroe county will most definitely get the felony plead down or dropped. The other is a fine. He will get offered unsupervised probation and lose his license probably. He’s already had one pre trial conference. He will have a few more. All they are doing now is making sure he won’t screw up in the meantime. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I would be quite surprised if that felony stays a felony.

Pre-trial diversion is much more of a slap on the wrist and it's what kids with drinking tickets during Little 5 get.  Do your community service and it turns into a ticket.  By virtue of being charged with a felony, he is likely not eligible for pre-trial diversion, which means he'll plea to a misdemeanor, which is an actual crime and will stay on his record.