HSN Fantasy Football

Bump.  Just 1 more guarantees us two 12 team leagues. 

2 more and we close the door, so don't hesitate if you want to join.

For those that asked about a dynasty league, I'll start looking at those numbers more closely after these two redraft leagues are filled.  I would want at least 10 for dynasty.

Edited by 5fouls

• 5fouls changed the title to 1 Available Fantasy Football Spot

With the addition of @ephul, we have filled 24 spots on a conditional basis.  That number was achieved with @iuswingmanoffering to play in both leagues, if necessary ( @Indykevand I will continue to play in both, as we did last year, for administration purposes).  I'll continue to promote an open spot until 7/15, if unfilled, at which time we'll close it up. 

The final roster of the two leagues will be based on last year's standings.  All playoff teams from last year will be in the Champions League, with promotions of the highest finishing non playoff teams to fill slots of playoff teams who are not participating this year.  All new participants will be placed in the 2nd league with last year's non playoff teams.

I will announce those league rosters after the last spot is filled, or on 7/16, whichever is earlier.  League commissioners will reach out shortly thereafter with sign-up info.

I plan on winning both leagues this year,  so you guys can fight it out for 2nd.

• 5fouls changed the title to 1 Fantasy Football Spot Left (7/15 Deadline to Join)

Okay, looking for some fantasy advice from some of you more experienced guys.  The commissioner of my home league overhauled everything this year.  Went from a 'normal' 2 QB PPR redraft league to a 2 QB PPR league with keepers (up to 6 next year), 3 WR, and 6 starting IDP positions (2 DL, 2 LB, and 2 DB).  Roster size is 26 with 16 starters each week.

I've never played IDP or keepers before.  So, a few questions for my HSN brethren

• With 26 rounds, at what point should I start considering drafting IDP?  I'm thinking the first IDP player in rounds 9 or 10? Also, is a K still the last pick, or would that be reserved for a DB?  Finally, do you use bench spots for extra IDP players, or just stream when one of your starters is on bye?  What's more valuable?  A 3rd DB or a 7th running back?
  • Since this is a keeper, and not a dynasty, I'm thinking it does not change my draft strategy this year much at all.  I still need to get the best players in the correct spots and not reach based on potential. Would you guys agree with that approach?  

• Like 1

• 5fouls changed the title to HSN Fantasy Football - We are FULL

We are now set with a full group of 24 teams.  The mods will be reaching out to you via PM to get the information they need to send you an official invite.  The team breakout of the two leagues is as follows.  TDHoosier & Mr. Flynn move up to replace two Champion Legue qualifiers that are not playing this year.

For those that did not play last year, the Champions League group of teams is determined by order of finish from the prior year.  As defending Champion, Parakeet Jones will get a one-year qualifying exemption (he'll be in next year's Champions League regardless of his finish this season.  Other Champions League spots for next year will be determined by order of finish this season.  Champions League playoff teams this year will qualify for the league next year.  Non-Playoff teams could fall into the other league depending on finish and other factors. 

Champions League

@Indykev(commissioner)

@Parakeet Jones(Defending League Champion)

@btownqb

@Seeking6

@KoB2011

@rico

@dgambill

@NotIThatLives

@Sagamore

@5fouls

@tdhoosier

@mrflynn03

HSN Fantasy Football League

@KDB(Commissioner)

@BeerBQ

@Billingsley99

@PAHoosier

@JaybobHoosier

@iuswingman

@trc

@ATX_sig

@iuthruandthru

@ephul

@Indykev

@5fouls

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Okay, looking for some fantasy advice from some of you more experienced guys.  The commissioner of my home league overhauled everything this year.  Went from a 'normal' 2 QB PPR redraft league to a 2 QB PPR league with keepers (up to 6 next year), 3 WR, and 6 starting IDP positions (2 DL, 2 LB, and 2 DB).  Roster size is 26 with 16 starters each week.

I've never played IDP or keepers before.  So, a few questions for my HSN brethren

• With 26 rounds, at what point should I start considering drafting IDP?  I'm thinking the first IDP player in rounds 9 or 10? Also, is a K still the last pick, or would that be reserved for a DB?  Finally, do you use bench spots for extra IDP players, or just stream when one of your starters is on bye?  What's more valuable?  A 3rd DB or a 7th running back?
  • Since this is a keeper, and not a dynasty, I'm thinking it does not change my draft strategy this year much at all.  I still need to get the best players in the correct spots and not reach based on potential. Would you guys agree with that approach?  

Wish I could help. I'm not in any keeper leagues nor IDP leagues. One strategy I've heard on the IDP stuff though over the years besides the normal guys....is find the best defensive guys on the worst teams. They'll always end up with more solo or shared tackles because the other team has the ball so much. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Wish I could help. I'm not in any keeper leagues nor IDP leagues. One strategy I've heard on the IDP stuff though over the years besides the normal guys....is find the best defensive guys on the worst teams. They'll always end up with more solo or shared tackles because the other team has the ball so much. 

That's some good advice.  I would not have thought about it that way.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, btownqb said:

Btw.. you guys are all very good at fantasy. I was impressed with the competitiveness of the league I played in here. 

I steal you alls ideas in waivers and FAs A LOT... and use them in my money leagues! 

You guys make the call but I hope the conversation on here stays open...I share willingly what I think even if it means I lose a waiver claim. Now maybe as we get closer to week 11-12 I might tighten up a little but discussing fantasy football on here always helps in the money leagues. Plenty of eyes and brains working.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

You guys make the call but I hope the conversation on here stays open...I share willingly what I think even if it means I lose a waiver claim. Now maybe as we get closer to week 11-12 I might tighten up a little but discussing fantasy football on here always helps in the money leagues. Plenty of eyes and brains working.

First, you are right... no doubt. Agree with all that... 

But.. its even deeper than just "the hot commodity waiver claim that week" .... because those things don't even work out half the time.... 

It's true season long strategies, ya know? There have just been a lot of things that have opened my eyes. True process. 

I'll tell you one thing I'm never afraid to do... stash a defense two-three weeks in advance if they have a juicy match up. Just a lot of information and basically all of what I read on here was really good, imo. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

Don't forget to update your team name to your HSN screen name when you sign in so we can keep track of who has successfully joined.  

The commissioners should have already reached out to you via IM and/or email, so if you have not been contacted yet let us know.  We do not want to overlook anyone.

Finally, for the new guys.  Pay special attention to the scoring.  It's PPR, but there are also bonus points for yardage thresholds.  And, QBs get 6 points for a touchdown pass.  

Edited by 5fouls

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

First, you are right... no doubt. Agree with all that... 

But.. its even deeper than just "the hot commodity waiver claim that week" .... because those things don't even work out half the time.... 

It's true season long strategies, ya know? There have just been a lot of things that have opened my eyes. True process. 

I'll tell you one thing I'm never afraid to do... stash a defense two-three weeks in advance if they have a juicy match up. Just a lot of information and basically all of what I read on here was really good, imo. 

Shoot. I'm already licking my chops for Packers vs their opponents in playoff time. D's always help....stash away!

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 7:32 PM, 5fouls said:

We are now set with a full group of 24 teams.  The mods will be reaching out to you via PM to get the information they need to send you an official invite.  The team breakout of the two leagues is as follows.  TDHoosier & Mr. Flynn move up to replace two Champion Legue qualifiers that are not playing this year.

For those that did not play last year, the Champions League group of teams is determined by order of finish from the prior year.  As defending Champion, Parakeet Jones will get a one-year qualifying exemption (he'll be in next year's Champions League regardless of his finish this season.  Other Champions League spots for next year will be determined by order of finish this season.  Champions League playoff teams this year will qualify for the league next year.  Non-Playoff teams could fall into the other league depending on finish and other factors. 

Champions League

@Indykev(commissioner)

@Parakeet Jones(Defending League Champion)

@btownqb

@Seeking6

@KoB2011

@rico

@dgambill

@NotIThatLives

@Sagamore

@5fouls

@tdhoosier

@mrflynn03

HSN Fantasy Football League

@KDB(Commissioner)

@BeerBQ

@Billingsley99

@PAHoosier

@JaybobHoosier

@iuswingman

@trc

@ATX_sig

@iuthruandthru

@ephul

@Indykev

@5fouls

Everyone in my league: Check your PM for the invite link.

Saw this little nugget of information.  During the 10-year span from 2012-2021, Fantasy ADP Picks 1-5 missed a total of 203 games, an average of slightly over 20 per season (which averages out to about 4 games per season per pick).  Not until ADP picks 71-75 is there a 5-pick window that had more total games missed during that time (220 total games missed over the 10 years).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Saw this little nugget of information.  During the 10-year span from 2012-2021, Fantasy ADP Picks 1-5 missed a total of 203 games, an average of slightly over 20 per season (which averages out to about 4 games per season per pick).  Not until ADP picks 71-75 is there a 5-pick window that had more total games missed during that time (220 total games missed over the 10 years).

So don't take Jonathan Taylor this year?

3 minutes ago, rico said:

So don't take Jonathan Taylor this year?

Not until the 6th pick.  :coffee:

Actually, correct.  Do not take him at all.  His ADP is in the 1-5 group regardless of where he is taken on our league.  Just don't draft him at all.  And, to help you avoid the temptation, just let me draft him.  I'll take the hit for all of HSN.   

Edited by 5fouls

I'm interested hearing about the types of structures you are playing in your non-HSN leagues.  And, what are some of the features of that league you like and/or dislike.

I'm in one league external to HSN.  last year it was a 2 QB league, but fairly straightforward after that.  This year, the commissioner made huge changes to the setup, so I have really no idea what to expect.  Setup this year is as follows:

• 2 QB
  • 2 RB
  • 3 WR (up from 2 last year)
  • 1 TE
  • 1 Flex
  • 1 Kicker
  • 2 IDP (D-Line) - New
  • 2 IDP (Linebacker) - New
  • 2 IDP (D-Backs) - New
  • No Team Defense
  • 10 Bench Spots
  • 4 IR Spots

That's 16 starters, and 26 active roster spots each week.  To top it off, where it has historically been a re-draft league, it's now a Keeper League (up to 6 spots each year).   

I don't foresee the Keeper designation impacting the way I draft this year, though it will certainly be a factor going forward.  The 2 starting QB thing really changes the draft, but that's what we've historically done, so I know what to expect with that. 

The primary challenge I am having is with the IDP spots.  I've never played IDP before, so I have no foundation as to what to how much of a factor they will be week to week.  That impact, obviously, is important to where they get drafted.  And, this is not 1-2 IDP spots.  There are 6 in the starting lineup.  I'm not yet sure how many bench spots I want to devote.   

Another thing I'm a little nervous about is the sheer roster size and what that does to the player pool.  It's a 10-team league (you really can't do a 12-team league with 2 starting QB slots).   But, with 26 roster spots, there will actually be more RBs, WRs, and TEs drafted than there will be in our 12 team HSN leagues.  This could possibly create a very tight waiver wire, especially if people go light on IDP bench spots. 

I'm not particularly a fan of the 2 QB setup, and would not use it if I was Commish.  Remains to be seen as to whether I like or dislike the IDP and Keeper aspects of this league.