HSN Fantasy Football

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I'm interested hearing about the types of structures you are playing in your non-HSN leagues.  And, what are some of the features of that league you like and/or dislike.

I'm in one league external to HSN.  last year it was a 2 QB league, but fairly straightforward after that.  This year, the commissioner made huge changes to the setup, so I have really no idea what to expect.  Setup this year is as follows:

• 2 QB
  • 2 RB
  • 3 WR (up from 2 last year)
  • 1 TE
  • 1 Flex
  • 1 Kicker
  • 2 IDP (D-Line) - New
  • 2 IDP (Linebacker) - New
  • 2 IDP (D-Backs) - New
  • No Team Defense
  • 10 Bench Spots
  • 4 IR Spots

That's 16 starters, and 26 active roster spots each week.  To top it off, where it has historically been a re-draft league, it's now a Keeper League (up to 6 spots each year).   

I don't foresee the Keeper designation impacting the way I draft this year, though it will certainly be a factor going forward.  The 2 starting QB thing really changes the draft, but that's what we've historically done, so I know what to expect with that. 

The primary challenge I am having is with the IDP spots.  I've never played IDP before, so I have no foundation as to what to how much of a factor they will be week to week.  That impact, obviously, is important to where they get drafted.  And, this is not 1-2 IDP spots.  There are 6 in the starting lineup.  I'm not yet sure how many bench spots I want to devote.   

Another thing I'm a little nervous about is the sheer roster size and what that does to the player pool.  It's a 10-team league (you really can't do a 12-team league with 2 starting QB slots).   But, with 26 roster spots, there will actually be more RBs, WRs, and TEs drafted than there will be in our 12 team HSN leagues.  This could possibly create a very tight waiver wire, especially if people go light on IDP bench spots. 

I'm not particularly a fan of the 2 QB setup, and would not use it if I was Commish.  Remains to be seen as to whether I like or dislike the IDP and Keeper aspects of this league.     

That is a ton to digest....26 roster spots? Wow. 

First thought and I might be able to add more the closer to September but in a league like this I'm drafting as many as tradeable guys as possible after say rounds 14 or so. Even if you have your QB's loaded up...take more. Same goes for every possible handcuff to the usual suspect.

In terms of IDP. I'd have to know the scoring system. Is a stud Darius Leonard as valuable as his mirror on offense? Or does it make sense to load up on starters, extra QB's....handcuff the normal guys....and take flyers on these guys https://www.rotoballer.com/idp-sleepers-rookies-ready-to-start-in-2022/1031129

Good luck! 26 guys though....wow. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

First thought and I might be able to add more the closer to September but in a league like this I'm drafting as many as tradeable guys as possible after say rounds 14 or so. Even if you have your QB's loaded up...take more. Same goes for every possible handcuff to the usual suspect.

In terms of IDP. I'd have to know the scoring system. Is a stud Darius Leonard as valuable as his mirror on offense? Or does it make sense to load up on starters, extra QB's....handcuff the normal guys....and take flyers on these guys https://www.rotoballer.com/idp-sleepers-rookies-ready-to-start-in-2022/1031129

Here are IDP scoring categories.  I really don't care for the 10 points combined for causing and recovering a fumble.  Seems like a pretty random thing, They're not giving the guy who deflects a pass that gets intercepted 5 points.  And, I have a question whether 'Forced Fumbles' only count if the fumble is lost.  Heck, if the guy forces and recovers while sacking the QB, it's a 15-point play.  Running it in for a TD would be another 6 points.  Passes defended is another thing that is both random and subjective.  Could do without it.  

image.png.0da93e3111565bac822b0bae8b28d67a.png

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Here are IDP scoring categories.  I really don't care for the 10 points combined for causing and recovering a fumble.  Seems like a pretty random thing, They're not giving the guy who deflects a pass that gets intercepted 5 points.  And, I have a question whether 'Forced Fumbles' only count if the fumble is lost.  Heck, if the guy forces and recovers while sacking the QB, it's a 15-point play.  Running it in for a TD would be another 6 points.  Passes defended is another thing that is both random and subjective.  Could do without it.  

image.png.0da93e3111565bac822b0bae8b28d67a.png

You typed exactly what I thought. FF while sacking the QB is 15 point play. There's a narrow thread in there somewhere but even in IDP leagues I still try to find the best defenders on the worst teams...but would have to balance that vs a 7 receptions for 65 yards guy is worth. The prior rarely happens but the latter could happen every week.

My suggestion is google.....draft strategies for first time IDP. My next move is asking your friend why the wholesale changes? Haha....he or she must know something or some strategy that he's laying the trap.

44 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I've done two mocks in the 2QB setup so far (sans IDP because I haven't found a free mock tool I like that has IDP options).  I employed two distinctly different strategies.  Which do you like better?

Mock #1 (Drafting #1 overall)

QB's:  Josh Allen (1st round), D. Prescott (4th round); Matt Ryan (11th round)

Top RB's: Montgomery, E. Mitchell, B. Hall, K. Hunt

Top WR's:  Adams, Diggs, Higgins, Jeudy

Mock #2 (Drafting #2 overall)

QB's: Wilson (5th round); Carr (7th round), Lawrence (10th round)

Top RB's: J. Taylor, A. Jones, B. Hall, E. Mitchell, M. Sanders

Top WR's: Diggs, D. Johnson, C. Kirk, A. Lazard

Edited by 5fouls

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I've done two mocks in the 2QB setup so far (sans IDP because I haven't found a free mock tool I like that has IDP options).  I employed two distinctly different strategies.  Which do you like better?

Mock #1 (Drafting #1 overall)

QB's:  Josh Allen (1st round), D. Prescott (4th round); Matt Ryan (11th round)

Top RB's: Montgomery, E. Mitchell, B. Hall, K. Hunt

Top WR's:  Adams, Diggs, Higgins, Jeudy

Mock #2 (Drafting #2 overall)

QB's: Wilson (5th round); Carr (7th round), Lawrence (10th round)

Top RB's: J. Taylor, A. Jones, B. Hall, E. Mitchell, M. Sanders

Top WR's: Diggs, D. Johnson, C. Kirk, A. Lazard

Boy both look pretty well done. All things being equal and players are healthy I go Mock #1. WR's alone do it for me...and to have Ryan as your 3rd QB is pretty good option because I think he's going to be one of those guys this year that goes in round 11 and by week 3 when the injury bug hits you can slide him in for 300 and 2 TD's most weeks if not more.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

4 weeks until draft day.  Still need @KoB2011and @iuthruandthruto join their respective leagues.  And, a few guys need to update their team name to match their screen name.

Several of you had inquired about a dynasty league.  I'll be happy to join one, but don't want to necessarily organize it, at least not this season.  If someone else want to try and get it organized, that's great.  Otherwise, we can re-evaluate the level of interest next season.

Finally, for the new players this year, we will also use this thread during the season to discuss weekly results, trash talk, etc.  I encourage everyone to participate.  It adds to the experience.  Everyone seems to be a little shy before the draft, as to not give away any draft strategy.  But, I'm not.  I'll state for the record now that, if I get the #1 pick, I will be drafting Jonathan Taylor (presuming he's healthy)*. Of course, none of us will know if I get the #1 pick until 30 minutes before the draft.  

*poster has been known to stretch the truth or downright lie when it serves his purpose.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

4 weeks until draft day.  Still need @KoB2011and @iuthruandthruto join their respective leagues.  And, a few guys need to update their team name to match their screen name.

Several of you had inquired about a dynasty league.  I'll be happy to join one, but don't want to necessarily organize it, at least not this season.  If someone else want to try and get it organized, that's great.  Otherwise, we can re-evaluate the level of interest next season.

Finally, for the new players this year, we will also use this thread during the season to discuss weekly results, trash talk, etc.  I encourage everyone to participate.  It adds to the experience.  Everyone seems to be a little shy before the draft, as to not give away any draft strategy.  But, I'm not.  I'll state for the record now that, if I get the #1 pick, I will be drafting Jonathan Taylor (presuming he's healthy)*. Of course, none of us will know if I get the #1 pick until 30 minutes before the draft.  

*poster has been known to stretch the truth or downright lie when it serves his purpose.  

I still need an invite…

48 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'll state for the record now that, if I get the #1 pick, I will be drafting Jonathan Taylor (presuming he's healthy)*.  

And here I thought you had a man crush on a certain K.C. tight end?

1 hour ago, rico said:

And here I thought you had a man crush on a certain K.C. tight end?

He frustrated the crap out of me last year.  So many 'meh' weeks for the price.  that said, the TE position on my other league was a revolving door all year.  got a couple of 0.00  weeks from Giesecki, Jared Cook, and the like.  Such a thin position.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, rico said:

I'm seeing and hearing a lot of experts emphatically say that they prefer the #1 pick this year more than usual.  Part of it is that they consider Taylor to be as sure a thing as there can be for the top pick.  But, also, they seem to think the 2nd/3rd round wheel has more value this year than ever before.  It will be very interesting to see if drafts play out the way they think.  

Personally, I just hope I avoid the middle picks (5-9) like I had last year in both HSN leagues.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I'm seeing and hearing a lot of experts emphatically say that they prefer the #1 pick this year more than usual.  Part of it is that they consider Taylor to be as sure a thing as there can be for the top pick.  But, also, they seem to think the 2nd/3rd round wheel has more value this year than ever before.  It will be very interesting to see if drafts play out the way they think.  

Personally, I just hope I avoid the middle picks (5-9) like I had last year in both HSN leagues.  

I think it’s not just that Taylor if a sure thing, it’s that all the guys behind him have a question mark and he doesn’t. 

• Like 2

Not sure if anyone is willing to do a dynasty league. Obviously it’s a big commitment…but considering how well people seem to stick out our redraft leagues I would be willing to do one. I use Sleeper Fantasy Football for dynasty. Very customizable and gets the best reviews for tools and usability. I suppose if I was to get 11 likes on this post I would start one up..and post the link here. So please don’t like if you don’t want to join. Thanks!

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, PAHoosier said:

I love Sleeper. I am in several Dynasty leagues ranging from 8 teams to 32. The 32 man league concepts are a lot of fun.

It is pretty good..lots of customizations…and only one I feel comfortable with using for dynasty. I am shooting for just a 12 man league, ppr, with a couple additional point bonus. 1qb, 2rb, 2wr, 1te, 2flx. 8 bench with 2 IR, 2 taxi. Nothing overly complicated and if we think something needs tweeked next year we can look at it. I would be a very hands off commish or if someone else wishes to run it…more power to them…makes my life easier!

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 10:02 AM, 5fouls said:

I prefer somewhere in the back of first round. Of course I don't value RB's like some do. If I draft first I guess I'd go JT...but put me in after 6th or 7th and I'll make anything work. Of course the huge elephant out there right in 1/2 point or 1 point PPR leagues is Cooper Kupp. If Stafford's injury is legit....what do we do with him?

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Of course the huge elephant out there right in 1/2 point or 1 point PPR leagues is Cooper Kupp. If Stafford's injury is legit....what do we do with him?

Trent Green.....Kurt Warner

The injured QB thing played out well for the Rams before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I prefer somewhere in the back of first round. Of course I don't value RB's like some do. If I draft first I guess I'd go JT...but put me in after 6th or 7th and I'll make anything work. Of course the huge elephant out there right in 1/2 point or 1 point PPR leagues is Cooper Kupp. If Stafford's injury is legit....what do we do with him?

If I'm back-end of first round, I prefer it to be 11 or 12.  With 9 or 10, it often seems like the 2nd guy i want is gone.

This, year, I really, really like the options that should be available in the 3 spots surrounding the round 2/3 wheel.  So, I'm hoping I get top 3 pick in at least 1 of the HSN leagues.

Had 7 and 9 last year.  Did not like either one.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

If I'm back-end of first round, I prefer it to be 11 or 12.  With 9 or 10, it often seems like the 2nd guy i want is gone.

This, year, I really, really like the options that should be available in the 3 spots surrounding the round 2/3 wheel.  So, I'm hoping I get top 3 pick in at least 1 of the HSN leagues.

Had 7 and 9 last year.  Did not like either one.

I actually just pulled up my first rankings of year. Full point PPR...maybe I'm forgetting how much talent in the league there is but when I see names like Hill, Allen, Allen, Evans, Pittman, HIggins sitting there around 23 and beyond I understand.

https://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/rankings/ppr

• Like 1