What Difference Does a Year Make

We still have not solved 3-point shooting.  Maybe we'll be better next season, but I need to see it on the court.  Until then, it's all wishful thinking.

I understand he inherited Archie's players.  For me, that excuse lasts one year at most.  What is Woodson's staff is doing to teach better shooting?  Or get better results?  We didn't see it last year.

3-point shooting under Archie Miller

2020-21: 32.4% (241st nationally)

2019-20: 32.6% (236th)

2018-19: 31.2% (311th)

2017-18: 32.2% (307th)

Mike Woodson's first season:

33.3% (207th nationally)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Madison22 said:

We still have not solved 3-point shooting.  Maybe we'll be better next season, but I need to see it on the court.  Until then, it's all wishful thinking.

I understand he inherited Archie's players.  For me, that excuse lasts one year at most.  What is Woodson's staff is doing to teach better shooting?  Or get better results?  We didn't see it last year.

33.3% (207th nationally)

We really just need a very slight improvement there - we are shooting good enough to keep teams honest. Slight increase in percentage, and an increase in volume to spread the floor more, will be a great thing for our offense. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Madison22 said:

33.3% (207th nationally)

It goes beyond %. IU was 311th in D1 with 5.9 made 3s per game. 2.4 of that was PS and RP. XJ and MK, the two best returning 3 pt shooters, each averaged 1.1 made three per game.

IU and Rutgers tied for the fewest 3 pt attempts and fewest made 3s per game in B1G play.

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It goes beyond %. IU was 311th in D1 with 5.9 made 3s per game. 2.4 of that was PS and RP. XJ and MK, the two best returning 3 pt shooters, each averaged 1.1 made three per game.

IU and Rutgers tied for the fewest 3 pt attempts and fewest made 3s per game in B1G play.

I think we will see it improve quite a bit next year.

Just from the eye test, JG, XJ, and RT were all starting to hit at a much higher percentage late into the season.

On top of that, I expect Bates to come on strong from three, Kopp to get most of his shots as a spot up shooter, and Leal and Galloway to contribute in that department at least a little more than the past season.

In short, I expect us to be average from the three, which would make us really, really good with our front court.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I'll just throw this in for commentary...

Wisconsin finished 14th in the Big 10 in 3 point field goal percentage...

And 1st in the Big 10 standings...

As @KoB2011 said, slight improvement, and I think we're good... 

Hear ya, but WI was a freak team last year. They were something like 15-3 in games decided by 6 or fewer points. They were 4th in D1 in “luck” stat

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I think a lot of last years lack of improvement is players still hearing CAM in there head and it affecting their confidence. I’ve got a feeling CMW is stressing just shoot and working on their confidence!

i don't know, but this is hard for me to picture.  like Archie was telling them they were terrible and shouldn't shoot and it scarred them?  or he was telling them to miss when they shot?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i don't know, but this is hard for me to picture.  like Archie was telling them they were terrible and shouldn't shoot and it scarred them?  or he was telling them to miss when they shot?  

I think there's a perception that players were yanked when they missed a shot under Archie and it made them more gun-shy.  Woodson even alluded to some confidence issues and it seemed he was on the side of encouraging players to take shots that may have gotten them benched under Archie.  I could be wrong but that's my general recollection. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I think there's a perception that players were yanked when they missed a shot under Archie and it made them more gun-shy.  Woodson even alluded to some confidence issues and it seemed he was on the side of encouraging players to take shots that may have gotten them benched under Archie.  I could be wrong but that's my general recollection. 

And we can barely break 30% shooting with our arms and hands....

9 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I don’t know what Archie was really like, but I can tell you that my coach in college would glare at us, scream at us, etc., as we ran back down court for missing shots. 

At halftime he would literally read our shooting numbers off the boxscore and go on and on about how it wasn't good enough, etc.  

I saw it completely ruin guys. Some guys would come in as shooters and by mid-way through their first season they were a mess shooting the ball. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I don’t know what Archie was really like, but I can tell you that my coach in college would glare at us, scream at us, etc., as we ran back down court for missing shots. 

At halftime he would literally read our shooting numbers off the boxscore and go on and on about how it wasn't good enough, etc.  

I saw it completely ruin guys. Some guys would come in as shooters and by mid-way through their first season they were a mess shooting the ball. 

I had a high school coach throw a Kotex on the floor at halftime and walk out.....so there's that.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

100 percent truth here

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah man, so much of sports is mental. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 9:20 PM, 13th&Jackson said:

Hear ya, but WI was a freak team last year. They were something like 15-3 in games decided by 6 or fewer points. They were 4th in D1 in “luck” stat

I don’t remember any of that….😳

5th year players won big ten & btt

now guys have 2 or 3?  Seems like Kopp has been around forever 

Plus a 2 time AA who is only back because of NIL…which is why NIL is a good thing if used right.  TJD has earned it.

Are lines up yet ?  You have to be favored in almost every game 

A lot has changed in a year...

- Non-conference schedule is significantly stronger

- IU is now a favorite to win conference rather than middle of the pack or lower

- Depth at most positions is seemingly deeper and more dynamic

- We have a good idea of how CMW will coach and run the team going into this season

- How NIL will work is clearer (for better or worse)

- Recruiting has elevated to another level

- TJD appears to be more vocal

But as others have noted we still don't know if this team can shoot the ball. 

• Like 1