Upcoming Season

There seems to be a tight lid on what is going on this offseason so it will be interesting to see if we are in for some surprising changes under Walt Bell.

Who does everyone think will have a better than expected (breakout) season this year?
Think any players will have a surprising change of positions?

Some posters on the other site noted that you don't hear much about McCulley in articles discussing the QB battle and that he may be getting time at WR instead.   If he is not going to cut it as a QB, I wouldn't be too shocked to see that change and would be interesting to see how he does as a WR.  Could make for some interesting trick plays (not sure how much Bell is into those though) with a WR that could be a threat to throw on occasion.  

Hopefully some players on the OL have a breakout season because we desperately need that area to improve this year.

Edited by iuswingman
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, iuswingman said:

There seems to be a tight lid on what is going on this offseason so it will be interesting to see if we are in for some surprising changes under Walt Bell.

Who does everyone think will have a better than expected (breakout) season this year?
Think any players will have a surprising change of positions?

Some posters on the other site noted that you don't hear much about McCulley in articles discussing the QB battle and that he may be getting time at WR instead.   If he is not going to cut it as a QB, I wouldn't be too shocked to see that change and would be interesting to see how he does as a WR.  Could make for some interesting trick plays (not sure how much Bell is into those though) with a WR that could be a threat to throw on occasion.  

Hopefully some players on the OL have a breakout season because we desperately need that area to improve this year.

Pretty sure McCulley has been moved to WR

• Like 1

I’ll second McCulley to WR is likely. 

I think the tight lid is by design. I heard an interview where Allen mentioned not wanting anyone to know what to expect. With some questions around who will start at QB, 2 new coordinators, and an opener against a conference team I kind of like it. 

• 2 months later...

I was just looking at the upcoming NCAA football schedule to try to find some of those early season games......

I didn't realize that the Illini start their season at home vs. Wyoming, Saturday, August 27th.

@  356.png&w=40&h=40&scale=crop&cquality=40Illinois
4:00 PM
BTN

What a great way to scout them before we play them. The only thing is, they will have one real game in under their belt..... The season can't get here soon enough! Go IU!

• Like 1

I hope I'm not just drinking the Kool Aid, but I like our LB depth. We seem to be cyclical with our edge rushers, and I hope this is an 'up' season (don't we all?). And it would be great to have some serious push from our DL -- not sure how well that group is projected to be, but if they can get some decent penetration, it will make our already-ball-hawking secondary that much better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I hope I'm not just drinking the Kool Aid, but I like our LB depth. We seem to be cyclical with our edge rushers, and I hope this is an 'up' season (don't we all?). And it would be great to have some serious push from our DL -- not sure how well that group is projected to be, but if they can get some decent penetration, it will make our already-ball-hawking secondary that much better.

Plus.... our zone blitz scheme. Two years and three years ago we got a LOT of pressure dropping DEs in coverage, bringing certain LBers and DBs. 

Don't allow the offense to know where to shift their line protection to. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Plus.... our zone blitz scheme. Two years and three years ago we got a LOT of pressure dropping DEs in coverage, bringing certain LBers and DBs. 

Watching that '20 season, it was amazing how versatile our D was. McFadden and Jones were capable of dropping back in coverage when we sent Mullen, Johnson and Matthews on those blitzes.

It really was Havoc in the best possible way.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, btownqb said:

I’m really hoping we go back to playing more Zone as well. Best way to get takeaways is to get eyes on QB and ball.. just like Iowas D that lead the nation in INT’s last year… our D last year was way to much man to man with our backs turnt to QB

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

I’m really hoping we go back to playing more Zone as well. Best way to get takeaways is to get eyes on QB and ball.. just like Iowas D that lead the nation in INT’s last year… our D last year was way to much man to man with our backs turnt to QB

Concur. 

Regarding the O line, based on comments by the coaches, four of them will be Haggard, Bedford, Katic, and Carpenter.  Allen referenced RG as having a few candidates. One time he mentioned Tim Weaver. Another it was Parker Hanna.  He mentioned Hanna was getting used to this level but it sounds like there is hope for him.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno