Upcoming Season

This will be somewhat longish, but wanted to get my thoughts out there before the season really begins...

I think IU is vastly underrated this year, and (though I'm always optimistic) I'm really bullish on this season.  Last year the team was far better than their record IMO.  I think the team bought into their own hype a little too much before the season, too.  Really though, Penix not being ready to come back was the beginning of the end for last season in my mind.  Everything else snowballed from that, and, truthfully, I think after a bowl game became impossible, there wasn't much fight left in the team.

Fast forward to this year, I think Tom Allen teams play a lot better and with an edge when they have something to prove, and they play with a chip on their shoulder when they're slighted: we should have plenty of locker room material this year - we're right at the bottom in nearly everyone's power rankings.  I also think we will return to our blitzing scheme, and CB will be in the same mold as Ramsey, which is the kind of QB this team needs.

In short, it's my belief that last year was an aberration from what has been a steady trajectory over the last 5-6 years.

This is my prediction for this season:

W - Illinois - home opener - Illinois, while better, is not better than IU

W - Idaho

W - WKU - they run the same offense, but lost their OC and star qb

W - @Cincy - I think IU was better than Cincinnati last year at the time we played them.  As long as we don't make the same costly errors, we can win this - we were rolling them before the McFadden ejection. Cincy also lost A LOT of what made last year's team special.  I also won't be upset with a loss here as we will be their premier home game this year, and they and their fans will definitely be up for this game

L - @Nebraska - If Scott Frost pulls a Scott Frost on what might be his last day at Nebraska, we might win, but my gut says this may be an L. I think it's more like a 50/50 game

L - UM - I'd love to beat 'em, but again gut says L

W - Maryland - This is far enough into the season that Maryland should fall back to reality after their usual meteoric start

W - @Rutgers - Rutgers keeps getting better, but I think we sneak away after a hard fought game

L - PSU - I think PSU could be the weakest of the top four this year, but probably still lose this game

L - OSU - Need I elaborate?

L - MSU - I think IU has the horses to play with MSU, but it's at MSU

W - Purdue - I will never pick IU to lose this game - Regardless, it's at IU and both teams probably already being bowl eligible, I pick IU, plus I think losing David Bell will hurt more than most pundits and Purdue fans would like to admit

So 7-5, but I do think that beating ILL on Friday would be a massive morale booster.  I also think that @NEB could be a potential win - it's possible they could be in complete free fall at that point.  

• Like 7

4 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

This will be somewhat longish, but wanted to get my thoughts out there before the season really begins...

I think IU is vastly underrated this year, and (though I'm always optimistic) I'm really bullish on this season.  Last year the team was far better than their record IMO.  I think the team bought into their own hype a little too much before the season, too.  Really though, Penix not being ready to come back was the beginning of the end for last season in my mind.  Everything else snowballed from that, and, truthfully, I think after a bowl game became impossible, there wasn't much fight left in the team.

Fast forward to this year, I think Tom Allen teams play a lot better and with an edge when they have something to prove, and they play with a chip on their shoulder when they're slighted: we should have plenty of locker room material this year - we're right at the bottom in nearly everyone's power rankings.  I also think we will return to our blitzing scheme, and CB will be in the same mold as Ramsey, which is the kind of QB this team needs.

In short, it's my belief that last year was an aberration from what has been a steady trajectory over the last 5-6 years.

This is my prediction for this season:

W - Illinois - home opener - Illinois, while better, is not better than IU

W - Idaho

W - WKU - they run the same offense, but lost their OC and star qb

W - @Cincy - I think IU was better than Cincinnati last year at the time we played them.  As long as we don't make the same costly errors, we can win this - we were rolling them before the McFadden ejection. Cincy also lost A LOT of what made last year's team special.  I also won't be upset with a loss here as we will be their premier home game this year, and they and their fans will definitely be up for this game

L - @Nebraska - If Scott Frost pulls a Scott Frost on what might be his last day at Nebraska, we might win, but my gut says this may be an L. I think it's more like a 50/50 game

L - UM - I'd love to beat 'em, but again gut says L

W - Maryland - This is far enough into the season that Maryland should fall back to reality after their usual meteoric start

W - @Rutgers - Rutgers keeps getting better, but I think we sneak away after a hard fought game

L - PSU - I think PSU could be the weakest of the top four this year, but probably still lose this game

L - OSU - Need I elaborate?

L - MSU - I think IU has the horses to play with MSU, but it's at MSU

W - Purdue - I will never pick IU to lose this game - Regardless, it's at IU and both teams probably already being bowl eligible, I pick IU, plus I think losing David Bell will hurt more than most pundits and Purdue fans would like to admit

So 7-5, but I do think that beating ILL on Friday would be a massive morale booster.  I also think that @NEB could be a potential win - it's possible they could be in complete free fall at that point.  

Solid breakdown of your thoughts on the season.  I'm pretty optimistic as well, but last season was such a flop with injuries and coaching incompetence, it's hard to predict. 2 healthy quarterbacks, a new oc, better wr's, and capable rb's give me hope on offense. Allen calling plays on defense will be huge.

I wouldn't be shocked with a 5-0 start, but 4-1 more likely. Should handle Purdue, so need 2-1 against Maryland,  Rutgers, and MSU to be bowl eligible. Really believe the range of potential wins is bigger this season than in quit some time. O$U is the only unwinnable game. Michigan and PSU have more talent, but momentum and injuries could give us a puncher's chance.

Can't wait for the season to start. I'll second your 7-5 call. Want a Music City Bowl appearance so I can drink beer with btownqb!

• Haha 1

The old adage of one week at a time is so so true with this IU team. I can see us get on a roll and win several games that we shouldn’t and just as easily see a bad loss just snow ball. To look ahead and try to predict is almost impossible. I’d say 6-6 would be a good goal. Make a bowl and win it. I just can’t realistically tell with all the changes if it is going to pay off from last year or not. I thought we were good enough to win a few more games last year but it seemed momentum really rolled us….and the year before I think we road the momentum to a couple wins. Let’s get off on the right foot this week and take it from there!

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1