Mods, I’m sorry…

Can you please create a place to discuss other schools like PUke and Illinois so when we open a thread, we don’t have to Wade through a conversation about their players/ recruits/ schedule/coach/history? I get it that game conversations are valid. I am so tired of threads going down the road of anything not IU.

After all, it’s “Hoosier Ports Nation” nothing else.  I am tired of hearing the “ but if they’re respectable they are welcome here” comments. I really don’t care what any other program has going on, don’t care about the opinions of the posters from their schools who come here. Don’t want their feedback about what IU is or isn’t doing.

I am not advocating banning posters from other schools. I would love for a separate place where those who feel the need to entertain these folks can do so, but for those of us who could care less, we don’t have to sift through their nonsense to get to what we’re interested in.

I am probably going to get some flak for this, but feel confident that I am not alone in feeling this way.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

IU sports don't happen in a vacuum. We play other schools so what happens at those schools can be important. B1G teams, in particular, getting stronger or weaker had an effect on IU because we play each of those at least once per year.

Besides, it's the offseason. Not a whole lot to talk about and it would be even less if the talk was restricted solely to IU 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Can you please create a place to discuss other schools like PUke and Illinois so when we open a thread, we don’t have to Wade through a conversation about their players/ recruits/ schedule/coach/history? I get it that game conversations are valid. I am so tired of threads going down the road of anything not IU.

After all, it’s “Hoosier Ports Nation” nothing else.  I am tired of hearing the “ but if they’re respectable they are welcome here” comments. I really don’t care what any other program has going on, don’t care about the opinions of the posters from their schools who come here. Don’t want their feedback about what IU is or isn’t doing.

I am not advocating banning posters from other schools. I would love for a separate place where those who feel the need to entertain these folks can do so, but for those of us who could care less, we don’t have to sift through their nonsense to get to what we’re interested in.

I am probably going to get some flak for this, but feel confident that I am not alone in feeling this way.

You're not alone...thanks.

• Like 3

I don’t mind so much that they come in and talk about how they fit into IU’s schedule and such, but the ones that really bug me. Are the ones that come here to “discuss “? With another fan from a different school. They need to take that to their private place!!!

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

You mean couldn't care less

Guys, if members did not engage in the conversations then they would not be prolonged.

In the off season threads will be all over the place. We typically allow much more wiggle room during thos time of the year.

I hear ya, but truth is we engage these topics and conversations or they would not stay alive.

Seems we are being asked to protect us from ourselves more than from our visitors.   🤷‍♂️

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Part of the joy I get from this forum is making fun of other schools. 😂

I'm not going to give you any flack for it, Steub because I understand it annoys some fans more than others.  I personally enjoy the back and forth and giving other fans crap.  If they get too annoying, I'll put them on ignore, though truthfully, the 2-3 posters I've put on ignore have purportedly been IU fans.

Seriously...this forum has like two Purdue fans and one Illinois fan.  If you put those three on ignore, you'll see very little of what annoys you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

And I seriously understand your view. I am not diminishing it at all.

This is an area where we have different views. We could probably take a poll and have a split vote among the members as well.

Being the off season, and ability to monitor ourselves, I just don't personally see a need to take action.

Again, this does not mean I do not respect or consider the opposing view.   🍻 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

And I seriously understand your view. I am not diminishing it at all.

This is an area where we have different views. We could probably take a poll and have a split vote among the members as well.

Being the off season, and ability to monitor ourselves, I just don't personally see a need to take action.

Again, this does not mean I do not respect or consider the opposing view.   🍻 

tTake a poll for fun....its the off season. :coffee:

This board can be overrun by tangents - most of which are thoroughly uninteresting to me - so I have a hard time complaining about people talking about basketball. I know of 3 outside fans that come here often and they're never childish about it, so this fan of IU and fan of basketball welcomes them.

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

This board can be overrun by tangents - most of which are thoroughly uninteresting to me - so I have a hard time complaining about people talking about basketball. I know of 3 outside fans that come here often and they're never childish about it, so this fan of IU and fan of basketball welcomes them.

I totally agree. We have a lot more annoying IU fans on here than those 3 “outsiders”. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

Recognizing that I lurk more than I post here, but I like the presence of thoughtful and respectful fans from other schools. It's always good to hear an outside perspective. If the poster is meeting those qualifications to stay here it means I can get that perspective without having to sift through all the crazy on one of their own boards.

I've never felt there's anything categorically different to being an Indiana fan than of any other school. It's where I went for undergrad. If I'd been raised in Michigan instead of Indiana (a decision that was not mine to make), I'd probably be a Wolverine. I think you can take pride in your program, without any provincial need to be exclusionary or feel superior to others. Even those who take pride in theirs. 

Sports are better when discussed. It's why we're all here. I don't see any value in shrinking the tent to exclude discussion. Much better to welcome all who participate in good faith. Of course, I'm also married to a Purdue grad, born and raised in Lafayette, so I have practice being on good behavior when hanging with the inlaws. I don't see why this place couldn't be as welcoming of outsiders as they've been with me.

Great post!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

And your ex wives

16 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I totally agree. We have a lot more annoying IU fans on here than those 3 “outsiders”. 

Hmmm.  Should I be offended with the timing of these two posts?  :coffee:

Some good feedback here....as I said, I am not interested in stopping conversation--for those that want to partake. I am merely suggesting that for those not interested in the opinions of outside fans, we have a way to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

And thanks, Mr. Linguist @IU Scottfor the correction. I always know that when you point out a gaffe, I must have really screwed up.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

THIS IS CNN! Sorry, I couldn't resist. LOL

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Some good feedback here....as I said, I am not interested in stopping conversation--for those that want to partake. I am merely suggesting that for those not interested in the opinions of outside fans, we have a way to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

And thanks, Mr. Linguist @IU Scottfor the correction. I always know that when you point out a gaffe, I must have really screwed up.

I understand your point of view on this, I don’t share the point of view, but I get it. 

With that said, it's just an unmanageable request. So much of our conversations (recruiting, conference predictions and standings, national rankings, schedules, etc.) involve the discussion of other schools and what is happening with them. 

To try and isolate those conversations would be unmanageable and most likely not a change that would really produce any benefit for improved discussion pattern. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I understand your point of view on this, I don’t share the point of view, but I get it. 

With that said, it's just an unmanageable request. So much of our conversations (recruiting, conference predictions and standings, national rankings, schedules, etc.) involve the discussion of other schools and what is happening with them. 

To try and isolate those conversations would be unmanageable and most likely not a change that would really produce any benefit for improved discussion pattern. 

IMO the bigger issue is how off topic conversations truly get and there is no way to stop it. It doesn’t bother me that much personally because it’s the off-season and people are truly just having fun with things because this board is an escape from reality and every day true life stuff.

• Like 1