USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

Just now, 5fouls said:

Why both LA schools? We get the tv market with just one of them.  Should have been UCLA and Washington State.  Add the Pullman, Washington tv market as well.  

Sources are saying this move was USC's idea. I think Stanford is far and away the next logical target. Gets into that bay area market, and the Cardinal has more overall NCAA championships than any other university; only USC and UCLA are even close.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Sources are saying this move was USC's idea. I think Stanford is far and away the next logical target. Gets into that bay area market, and the Cardinal has more overall NCAA championships than any other university; only USC and UCLA are even close.

Both USC and UCLA wanted in....PAC 12 has been run so poorly for years. Even with their new deal they get $25M each...Big Ten got $54M each last year and this should add at least another $10M to that number. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Cue the 'I can't stay up late enough to watch those West coast games' crowd.

I've been emailing anyone who would listen.....and I know it will piss off the Friday Night High School crowd....but can you imagine Friday Night Big 10 football brought to you by Apple or Amazon or insert whatever West Coast company you want in the Coliseum or Rose Bowl on those November nights? Sunshine and palm trees given to you by the Big 10. Easy sell with zero Friday Night TV competition. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Why both LA schools? We get the tv market with just one of them.  Should have been UCLA and Washington State.  Add the Pullman, Washington tv market as well.  

Guessing it was a package deal situation. Plus they’re both AAU members and being significant clout academically. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I've been emailing anyone who would listen.....and I know it will piss off the Friday Night High School crowd....but can you imagine Friday Night Big 10 football brought to you by Apple or Amazon or insert whatever West Coast company you want in the Coliseum or Rose Bowl on those November nights? Sunshine and palm trees given to you by the Big 10. Easy sell with zero Friday Night TV competition. 

Amen!

• Like 1

Yeah, I guess good for the B1G...

And yes, I am one of the ones who won't stay up to watch a game that starts at 10:30 or 11:00 EST on a work night.

Also, imo, takes a little bit away from the "student" part of athletes. Long road trips, late night games, less class time. I get it...school is now pretty much virtual, but it sure doesn't pass the eye test of being in the best interest of the student part of the equation.

Edited by Steubenhoosier
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Can't imagine the travel expenses for the Big Ten schools having to travel to LA.  How will Rutgers women's softball. Be able to travel to LA or any on the non revenue sports.

If the University of Hawaii (2500 miles to LA) can figure it out I’m sure the BIG can figure it out!

• Like 2

BYU is saying 'crap, if we would have waited, we could be headed to Pac12 instead of Big12.

I'm going to toss out the names San Diego State and Colorado State as replacements for the Pac12.  A let down for sure for the conference, but they just about have to add at least one SoCal school, dont they?

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

BYU is saying 'crap, if we would have waited, we could be headed to Pac12 instead of Big12.

I'm going to toss out the names San Diego State and Colorado State as replacements for the Pac12.  A let down for sure for the conference, but they just about have to add at least one SoCal school, dont they?

If I’m the PAC 12 and I want to replace those two schools I’d rather add Oklahoma St, Texas Tech, Kansas, and Baylor.  A type of merger so to speak.  Maybe??

• Like 1