USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Who says the Big 10 is only going after Pac-12 teams for further expansion? 

The ACC and Big 12 have to be crapping their pants at this move. 

I do agree other West coast teams make sense for scheduling, but I'm not sure the Big 10 should limit the teams they look at simply over that...

I agree, but I think ucla and usc will want other partners on west coast.  If I’m guessing other conference interests, it would be uva, unc, duke, Syracuse, Pitt, kansas, clemson, Iowa state. FSU, Miami, notre dame, ga tech, BC, UCONN.

Edited by IUALUM03
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IUALUM03 said:

I agree, but I think ucla and usc will want other partners on west coast.  If I’m guessing other conference interests, it would be uva, unc, duke, Syracuse, Pitt, kansas, clemson, Iowa state. FSU, Miami, notre dame, ga tech.

You know, if I was the Big 10, after all these years of getting rebuffed by the Irish, I'd tell them to go blow... 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

I agree, but I think ucla and usc will want other partners on west coast.  If I’m guessing other conference interests, it would be uva, unc, duke, Syracuse, Pitt, kansas, clemson, Iowa state. FSU, Miami, notre dame, ga tech.

Reading among all football fans on Reddit, I have to conclude that if we add more from the Pac 12, it would start with Stanford and Cal.  

Some speculation that we'd need to add other state schools from CA to keep their university system from somehow blocking the deal, though I have no idea of the veracity of that.

It would add another large tv market, though, which seems like the impetus for all of these realignments.

6 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Reading among all football fans on Reddit, I have to conclude that if we add more from the Pac 12, it would start with Stanford and Cal.  

Some speculation that we'd need to add other state schools from CA to keep their university system from somehow blocking the deal, though I have no idea of the veracity of that.

It would add another large tv market, though, which seems like the impetus for all of these realignments.

Another school on top of Cal and Stanford? Or USC and UCLA plus at least 1?

2 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Another school on top of Cal and Stanford? Or USC and UCLA plus at least 1?

I meant that Stanford and Cal would be the next most likely to add from the Pac 12 after USC and UCLA, or maybe Cal and Oregon, but definitely another CA state school, of which Cal is the most likely.

Edited by rogue3542

I could also see them formalizing the lacrosse and hockey league with other schools for only thos sports as well.  You could get a lot of academic schools with lacrosse.  We already have notre dame and Johns Hopkins. 

I want this to be not only the strongest sports league, but collection of academic schools in the country.  I want my degree to gain stature nationally.

Edited by IUALUM03
  • Like 2

Didn’t we just make fun of UCLA for their paltry attendance at Pauley Pavilion? They also were ridiculed nationally because one of their home football games had less than 10,000 fans in attendance.

I get that LA is a huge market, but they aren’t a college market. Would much rather have started this expansion with schools in true college towns

26 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Didn’t we just make fun of UCLA for their paltry attendance at Pauley Pavilion? They also were ridiculed nationally because one of their home football games had less than 10,000 fans in attendance.

I get that LA is a huge market, but they aren’t a college market. Would much rather have started this expansion with schools in true college towns

UCLA avged 45K at their football games in 2021. 

From 2000-2017 they avged 64K. 

Edited by btownqb

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

UCLA avged 45K at their football games in 2021. 

From 2000-2017 they avged 64K. 

Attendance is down 20,000 per game in the Chip Kelly era v the previous coach. The USC game skews the numbers up to look better than they really are. They are not even half filling their stadium on a regular basis