USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

This is all driven by TV Market size (which equals revenue).  It ONLY makes sense to add schools that bring in market value worth about the same or more than the average we already have.  Because our average market/revenue is already very high, that doesn't leave a lot of options.

Here are some big, uncaptured TV markets (in decreasing size) that have big, AAU schools associated with them (i.e. top schools that would benefit the big ten):

Los Angeles (UCLA)

Dallas & Houston (Texas A&M*)

San Francisco (Stanford, but it's private.  Would UCLA and USC already get you this?)

Atlanta (Georgia Tech?)

North Carolina (multiple metros) (UNC)

Florida (multiple metros) (U of Florida)

Phoenix (U of Arizona)

Seattle (U of Washington)

Denver (U of Colorado)

St. Louis (U of Missouri)

Several people have commented about how secret/tight-lipped this has been... in contrast to the SEC expansion/raiding of the B12.  I think most assume Texas A&M was behind that leak, because they didn't want University of Texas to join the SEC.  Maybe the B10 will go after Texas A&M?  Texas television market would be a huge gain and there appears to be bad blood between them and SEC.

Edited by andy_puiu
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Attendance is down 20,000 per game in the Chip Kelly era v the previous coach. The USC game skews the numbers up to look better than they really are. They are not even half filling their stadium on a regular basis 

45K per game last year. I have no idea what their stadium seats. 

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I don't care how much those sports won,  I am talking about just losing the luster off of what it means to be in a conference.  I am talking about how are the other sports going to travel to LA.  Might as well just get rid of conferences and have everyone as independents and just put the final nail in what college athletics is supposed to be about.

PS, no I don't think there should be a jump ball after every basket.

So only in women's basketball?

17 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Honestly, USC's and UCLA's attendance is a complete non-factor.

It's the LA tv market that drives this from the Big Ten perspective.

Yeah, I get that. The gist of the situation is, does that translate into watching college sports? If anything, LA is a pro sports town, and even then, they have plenty of other things to do if their team is mediocre.

• Like 1