USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

Yeah, I get that. The gist of the situation is, does that translate into watching college sports? If anything, LA is a pro sports town, and even then, they have plenty of other things to do if their team is mediocre.

I get what you're saying, and I don't disagree, but I'm not sure that matters either.

Having those teams allows BTN to worm their way into cable subscriptions and live streaming services in the area, and there will be ENOUGH students, alumni, and fans tuning in to justify it from the local providers' perspective.

• Like 1

The next 4 into the Big, Oregon, Washington, Arizona and ASU??? Makes a lot of sense and then you have the Big East and West throw in Iowa Nebraska, Minny, Wisc maybe to the West then add ND to the East.  Will only be 2 super conferences when its all said and done. Step 1 of CFB leaving the NCAA behind. 

13 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Honestly Rutgers, MD, NW and IU shouldn’t feel all that secure either. Enormous pressure on the IU football program now.

Exactly my point when I posed the question above about where we fit into the hierarchy.  Superconferences will NOT be a good thing for IU.  

At the best we are a perpetual 2nd division club (in football).  At the worst, the stronger football schools in the conference go out on their own to partner with other elite programs across the country and IU is left in a watered down Big 10 with the likes of Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, Northwestern, etc.

Not a good thing folks.  Not at all.

And, let's clear up another misconception.  When you start talking about groups of 20-24 teams, that is NOT a conference.  

Conference teams play each other.  If there are 20 teams in a group, they cant all play each other, not just in football, but in any sport.  

It's one thing to skip a team or two in a given year like what happens in baseball.  It's quite different to not play half the other teams until the conference tournament.  Schools could go years without facing each other.  Might not ever play a team in football if there are two 10-12 team divisions.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Exactly my point when I posed the question above about where we fit into the hierarchy.  Superconferences will NOT be a good thing for IU.  

At the best we are a perpetual 2nd division club (in football).  At the worst, the stronger football schools in the conference go out on their own to partner with other elite programs across the country and IU is left in a watered down Big 10 with the likes of Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, Northwestern, etc.

Not a good thing folks.  Not at all.

Once football and NIL destroy college sports, I probably won't care anymore.  

Edited by IUCrazy2

19 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

And, let's clear up another misconception.  When you start talking about groups of 20-24 teams, that is NOT a conference.  

Conference teams play each other.  If there are 20 teams in a group, they cant all play each other, not just in football, but in any sport.  

It's one thing to skip a team or two in a given year like what happens in baseball.  It's quite different to not play half the other teams until the conference tournament.  Schools could go years without facing each other.  Might not ever play a team in football if there are two 10-12 team divisions.

The next 2 years are huge for Tom Allen and Scott Dolson. You can't go into 2024 with Tom Allen if things dont turn around in a hurry.

Edited by Indykev

We are in the strange position in all of this. The Big Ten can't 'get caught watching the paint dry' while all this movement is going on....so they really have to make this move. It's good for the conference, but is it good for us in the long, long run? Basketball revenue is pocket change compared to football revenue. 

1 minute ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I completely understand that many don’t like further expansion but be happy we are in the Big Ten.  Our conference isn’t breaking apart and neither is the SEC.  Be thankful we aren’t Oregon State, Iowa State, etc.  We will be fine. JMO.

Indiana, Purdue, Maryland, Rutgers, and Northwestern are the lower revenue generators.  Maryland and Rutgers add TV markets.  Northwestern is unnecessary because of Illinois from a TV market standpoint. They are also a mismatch with the rest of the conference being the only private school in the Big 10.

Indiana is a bigger draw in the Indy market and is a little higher on the revenue side than Purdue.  Notre Dame throws a big wrench in things if they join the BIG though.  For football purposes, you would still have the Indianapolis market and could kick out both Indiana and Purdue if you added Notre Dame....which makes me rethink asking them to join.

I don't think we are safe at all.  I also think that some of these big schools are overestimating how valuable these super leagues are when they kick out certain schools.  I have zero interest in a college format that doesn't have Indiana involved.  If I want to watch pro football I can watch the NFL and without the college pageantry, that is a superior product anyway.

Watching Assembly Call last night and I thought Ryan brought up a good point about recruiting for USC and UCLA. They brought up how families like to be able to go to road games and watch their kids play but with them in the big ten that will be almost impossible.  He also said that he thought both fan bases will not travel all the way to the road games especially when it gets cold.

5 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

No one is getting kicked out.  Could I be wrong?  Sure.  But I’ll believe it when I see it.

You dont get kicked out.  You get left in a shell of a conference when the power teams leave. Think Oregon State and Washington State if Oregon and Washington leave the Pac12.

Just now, 5fouls said:

You dont get kicked out.  You get left in a shell of a conference when the power teams leave. Think Oregon State and Washington State if Oregon and Washington leave the Pac12.

And I’m saying the Big Ten schools won’t do that.  Neither will the SEC.  They might bring in more but they aren’t breaking apart.

13 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

And I’m saying the Big Ten schools won’t do that.  Neither will the SEC.  They might bring in more but they aren’t breaking apart.

I think within 10 years that college football will break away and will have form one mega conference.  Teams like IU and Purdue won't he part of that conference.