USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

I absolutely love that I'll have an opportunity to see IU play out here in LA (probably once every seven years, lol), yet I can't help but feel a little bad for the families of players who want to watch their kids play in person and not break the bank to do so.

Keeping things regional allows for quick flights or road trips... that's going to be a major obstacle for their fanbase at large.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Indiana, Purdue, Maryland, Rutgers, and Northwestern are the lower revenue generators.  Maryland and Rutgers add TV markets.  Northwestern is unnecessary because of Illinois from a TV market standpoint. They are also a mismatch with the rest of the conference being the only private school in the Big 10.

Indiana is a bigger draw in the Indy market and is a little higher on the revenue side than Purdue.  Notre Dame throws a big wrench in things if they join the BIG though.  For football purposes, you would still have the Indianapolis market and could kick out both Indiana and Purdue if you added Notre Dame....which makes me rethink asking them to join.

I don't think we are safe at all.  I also think that some of these big schools are overestimating how valuable these super leagues are when they kick out certain schools.  I have zero interest in a college format that doesn't have Indiana involved.  If I want to watch pro football I can watch the NFL and without the college pageantry, that is a superior product anyway.

I wonder what the Indy market watches more:

ND? 
IU? 
O$U or Michigan?

SEC?

16 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

And I’m saying the Big Ten schools won’t do that.  Neither will the SEC.  They might bring in more but they aren’t breaking apart.

Yet.  Guess it depends on how big they want their super conference to be.  Ohio St., Penn St., Michigan, USC, and UCLA get together with Alabama, Georgia, Texas and some of the Florida teams and start talking about cutting the dead weight and forming a true super conference is not out of the question.

At a certain point, greed driving all, the want to share with the Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, Kentucky, Mississippi, South Carolina, etc. of the world may dry up.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Yet.  Guess it depends on how big they want their super conference to be.  Ohio St., Penn St., Michigan, USC, and UCLA get together with Alabama, Georgia, Texas and some of the Florida teams and start talking about cutting the dead weight and forming a true super conference is not out of the question.

At a certain point, greed driving all, the want to share with the Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, Kentucky, Mississippi, South Carolina, etc. of the world may dry up.

And all of those schools want to play each other every single week with no Vanderbilt, Boston College, or IU to “soften” the schedule?  Nope.  Not buying it.  Could I see a large group breaking away from the NCAA?  That I can see.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Watching Assembly Call last night and I thought Ryan brought up a good point about recruiting for USC and UCLA. They brought up how families like to be able to go to road games and watch their kids play but with them in the big ten that will be almost impossible.  He also said that he thought both fan bases will not travel all the way to the road games especially when it gets cold.

That won't happen I don't think. 4 to 6 more pac 12 teams will be added

Just now, thirdgenhoosier said:

And all of those schools want to play each other every single week with no Vanderbilt, Boston College, or IU to “soften” the schedule?  Nope.  Not buying it.  Could I see a large group breaking away from the NCAA?  That I can see.

There are always teams that finish on the bottom.  They are saying that adding UCLA and USC could bring TV rights for BIG schools up to around $100 million each.  That is sharing money with the Northwestern, Rutgers, Purdue, Maryland, and Indianas of the conference.  

32 team super league split into 4 divisions of 8 with their own playoff.  For ESPN and Fox that are driving this, that is ultimately where the money is.  We don't make that cut.  We would be relegated to a second tier status.  You know what else would happen?  Those 32 teams would have all the money and NIL support to buy the best basketball players too.

They can worry about their won/loss record while swimming in their Scrooge McDuck tower of money.

5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Super conference

Clemson, FSU, Miami,

Florida, Georgia, LSU, Alabama, Auburn, UT, Oklahoma, Texas A&M 

PSU, OSU, Michigan, USC, UCLA 

Notre Dame

Just now, IU Scott said:

Super conference

Clemson, FSU, Miami,

Notre Dame

Acc teams can only leave if the league is dissolved. Otherwise the buy out is enormous.  I think the ACC majority will join the SEC and the PAC 12 will join the big. The hold outs will join the Big 12 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Super conference

Clemson, FSU, Miami,

Notre Dame

You need 14 more schools.  That is when the Oregon/Wisconsin level schools come into the equation.  You have 18 there, do you think Indiana is one of the next 14?  I don't.  Not when football is king.  Heck, I don't think any other blue blood basketball school cracks that next 14.

7 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

You need 14 more schools.  That is when the Oregon/Wisconsin level schools come into the equation.  You have 18 there, do you think Indiana is one of the next 14?  I don't.  Not when football is king.  Heck, I don't think any other blue blood basketball school cracks that next 14.

IU wouldn't be part of it if it is 32 teams

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Acc teams can only leave if the league is dissolved. Otherwise the buy out is enormous.  I think the ACC majority will join the SEC and the PAC 12 will join the big. The hold outs will join the Big 12 

The buyout is like $100 million give or take, no?  I have seen estimates of $80 to $100 million a year media rights for Big Ten schools.  I believe that the ACC is down in the $30 millions.  That buyout is a drop in the bucket in potential earnings for a school like Notre Dame and Clemson to say deuces and join a super league.  You'd recoup that loss and then some in 2 to 3 years.  $60 to $90 million revenue from ACC and $100 million buy out is $160 to $190 million.  2 year earnings in BIG appear to be $160 to $200 million.  That would adjust a bit as you added schools, but those additional schools would theoretically increase the value of your TV rights.

If the superconferences want those ACC schools, they will have them.

29 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

There are always teams that finish on the bottom.  They are saying that adding UCLA and USC could bring TV rights for BIG schools up to around $100 million each.  That is sharing money with the Northwestern, Rutgers, Purdue, Maryland, and Indianas of the conference.  

32 team super league split into 4 divisions of 8 with their own playoff.  For ESPN and Fox that are driving this, that is ultimately where the money is.  We don't make that cut.  We would be relegated to a second tier status.  You know what else would happen?  Those 32 teams would have all the money and NIL support to buy the best basketball players too.

They can worry about their won/loss record while swimming in their Scrooge McDuck tower of money.

Your 32 team super league is exactly what I fear.  Might be 48 teams instead (4 divisions of 12).  

We have no chance at being part of it with 32 teams.  We're on the fringe if it goes to 48.

One thing I am certain of.  No super league structure will contain both IU and Purdue.  ND would be a given.  There won't be 3 schools from a basketball state invited to a football party.

IU fans need to understand this is a legit concern.  We can't have winless conference seasons in football the next 5-7 years.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Exactly my point when I posed the question above about where we fit into the hierarchy.  Superconferences will NOT be a good thing for IU.  

At the best we are a perpetual 2nd division club (in football).  At the worst, the stronger football schools in the conference go out on their own to partner with other elite programs across the country and IU is left in a watered down Big 10 with the likes of Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, Northwestern, etc.

Not a good thing folks.  Not at all.

I understand what you are saying but I think IU is still safe for a few reasons.

1) Huge fan base. Even though IU sucks at football, they still have a ton of fans around the country. Many of these are willing to dish out $ for junk like BTN+ so IU still helps bring in revenue.

2) Even in a super conference the top teams would still want some patsies to play for guaranteed wins. They don't want to play a full season of only top 25 teams.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Football can do whatever they want but keep the basketball the way it is now.  Don't mess with the tournament and I will be alright with whatever football does.

It would have a trickle down effect on all sports.  Are you going to be happy with a conference championship in basketball when the conference contains Vandy, Iowa State, and Kansas State instead of OSU, UM, and MSU?

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It would have a trickle down effect on all sports.  Are you going to be happy with a conference championship in basketball when the conference contains Vandy, Iowa State, and Kansas State instead of OSU, UM, and MSU?

What I was purposing is that those schools can still split in football but remain in the conference for basketball and all other sports.  It would just be like ND being in the ACC except for football 

So this "Super Conference" leaves out the biggest media market in the US? The Northeastern United States is a huge media segment.

Say what you want, but I can't see many New Yorkers becoming Alabama fans...

And we haven't even figured NIL into the equation yet...

I'll let it play out... 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So this "Super Conference" leaves out the biggest media market in the US? The Northeastern United States is a huge media segment.

Say what you want, but I can't see many New Yorkers becoming Alabama fans...

And we haven't even figured NIL into the equation yet...

I'll let it play out... 

Is that market any more left out than it is now?