USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

I think at minimum you have to add two more PAC 10 schools to make scheduling/travel work for a lot of the ancillary sports. Out if PAC 10 I’d think Colorado (Denver market) and likely Washington (Seattle) would be the most profitable for tv contract. I think the goal has to be to bring ND in as well at some point as well. Last spot saved for whomever makes the most sense. ND would probably want us to bring over an ACC partner that is a big media partner for them. Not sure who that would be…Boston College perhaps?? Thing is once you go past 16…why stop at 20…24 would make just as much sense. Have a feeling in the end we will just have two mega conferences (SEC/BIG)….and be like NFL with each having their own play offs and winner plays for NC. Makes sense to me.

7 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Can you imagine being on the Tennis team at USC…..no private jets 

getting to Illinois or Happy Valley 

brutal 

How about that 12 noon kickoff for UCLA traveling to play Rutgers or Maryland. Geez on top of that the fans for these teams having to wake up and watch them….I guess mimosas and bloody Mary’s will be the new pre-kick off drink of choice. Hard to wake up at 8am and start downing coors light before a 9am kickoff.

Edited by dgambill

Gotta think the goal is to have a minimum 4-5 west coast teams. USC/UCLA is the leverage needed to get the others to come over for less $$. I’ll look for Washington, Oregon, Stanford next. If you are ND and rivals USC, Stanford, and Michigan are already in the league and the B1G getting over 100 million a school it might make too much sense….especially if B1G and SEC partner for their own national championship.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Gotta think the goal is to have a minimum 4-5 west coast teams. USC/UCLA is the leverage needed to get the others to come over for less $$. I’ll look for Washington, Oregon, Stanford next. If you are ND and rivals USC, Stanford, and Michigan are already in the league and the B1G getting over 100 million a school it might make too much sense….especially if B1G and SEC partner for their own national championship.

Go Irish!

Gotta think any more additions happens before the new tv contract.  Anyone with a brain is working A&M and Georgia.  Go absolute biggest if you can.  Notre Dame is complicated because of its tv rights to NBC.  NBC isn't going to let them walk.  Just looked.  Its only 15 a year through 2025.  Screw it and go 24.  Im all about poaching the sec and the cream of the acc.  

10 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

It is with that kind of attitude!😅

Well I’m not really a drinker. I’ll have a drink for the 4th or other holidays or fun occasions but I’d say I don’t drink more than one a month so I’m not a good judge of tailgating and pregame parties but the idea of waking up to a beer sounds absolutely disgusting to me lol. I’m sure the BIG would have to place those games in more prime time hours like 4 and 8pm kickoffs EST so at least the west coast will be awake. Can’t imagine sleeping in to wake up and find out your team already played that morning.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Gotta think any more additions happens before the new tv contract.  Anyone with a brain is working A&M and Georgia.  Go absolute biggest if you can.  Notre Dame is complicated because of its tv rights to NBC.  NBC isn't going to let them walk.  Just looked.  Its only 15 a year through 2025.  Screw it and go 24.  Im all about poaching the sec and the cream of the acc.  

Georgia is not leaving the SEC and I really really question people who think Georgia Tech pulls any interest at all in the Atlanta market. They just don’t move the needle. I think the Texas market has done sailed. I’d focus on consolidating gains out west and bringing in Notre Dame. If that means swiping a Boston College to get a Notre Dame than so be it.

Feel like this is going to be a Civil War reinactment come playoff time. North vs South.

SEC and B1G have their own playoffs and winner plays each other for their own NC. Ncaa can go kick rocks.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Georgia is not leaving the SEC and I really really question people who think Georgia Tech pulls any interest at all in the Atlanta market. They just don’t move the needle. I think the Texas market has done sailed. I’d focus on consolidating gains out west and bringing in Notre Dame. If that means swiping a Boston College to get a Notre Dame than so be it.

Feel like this is going to be a Civil War reinactment come playoff time. North vs South.

SEC and B1G have their own playoffs and winner plays each other for their own NC. Ncaa can go kick rocks.

Could be a new version of the Blue/Gray Bowl for the title.  ESPN would have a field day with those story lines.

• Like 1

In all honesty the B1G makes a ton more sense now for Notre Dame. We have Washington, NY, and LA markets along with the rest of the conference being geographically aligned. The ACC brings nothing of significance for expanding their brand. Do they really think that playing in Virginia, North and S Carolina has expanded their brand and been tremendously beneficial for them? We are a coast to coast league now with the biggest media markets in the country covered on both coast. Money is right…schools are right…time is right for Notre Dame to come in. Makes sense we ended the cross roads classic. We are all about to be B1G schools minus Butler.

Edited by dgambill

SI saying Utah and CO could be included along with other West Coast schools to provide more balance out West. 

@milehiiu would have loved that. 

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/ncaa-football/college-football-expansion-big-ten-adding-schools

Elsewhere, I've seen Duke and NC mentioned. 

And Clemson and FSU as longshots as the SEC probably makes more sense for them. 

Or could Kansas come? 

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-football-expansion-candidates-to-join-usc-and-ucla-in-conference

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

So when the B1G/B16 eventually gets to 20 teams, does everyone play every other team once in basketball except for their “protected rival” which they will play twice?  

At that point, it ceases to he a conference in the strict definition of the rule.  For smaller sports, there is no way to play everyone every year.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Reacher said:

SI saying Utah and CO could be included along with other West Coast schools to provide more balance out West. 

@milehiiu would have loved that. 

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/ncaa-football/college-football-expansion-big-ten-adding-schools

Elsewhere, I've seen Duke and NC mentioned. 

And Clemson and FSU as longshots as the SEC probably makes more sense for them. 

Or could Kansas come? 

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-football-expansion-candidates-to-join-usc-and-ucla-in-conference

Is Kansas good at anything other than men's basketball?

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Well I’m not really a drinker. I’ll have a drink for the 4th or other holidays or fun occasions but I’d say I don’t drink more than one a month so I’m not a good judge of tailgating and pregame parties but the idea of waking up to a beer sounds absolutely disgusting to me lol. I’m sure the BIG would have to place those games in more prime time hours like 4 and 8pm kickoffs EST so at least the west coast will be awake. Can’t imagine sleeping in to wake up and find out your team already played that morning.

Living on the West Coast for sports is FANTASTIC. Games start at 9am on Saturday and GO ALL DAY.

• Like 4

So if this goes two mega conferences…SEC and B1G and the two conferences join some type of alliance to play each other for their own crowned champion what would that mean for B1G tournament. Would just the winner of each division play each other day like in a four team playoff?

Would we have like 4 divisions like East, Central, North, and West. E(Rutgers, Maryland, OSU, and PSU) C(IU, UI, PU, NW) N(UM, MSU, WI, MIN) and W(IA, NE, USC, UCLA).

If you brought in Washington, Oregon, Notre Dame and let’s say Boston College you then just move BC to East, Notre Dame and Iowa to Central, NW to North, and WA & Oregon to West. Seems pretty fair….also giving Notre Dame easiest division incentivizes them.

Could have one protected rival from other division. Maryland/IU, Rutgers/Min, PSU/UCLA, OSU/UM, BC/PU, ND/USC, IL/NW, WI/Was, MSU/Oregon, IA/NEB. Then the rest of games you rotate opponents outside their division. This would mean you have 4 division games, 1 protected, 6 non-divisional games that rotate over a 2-3 year period. That would be 11 games. Leaves one non-conference warm up? Only issue is would the division winner be based on overall record in conference or just within division with conference record tie breaker? Don’t want to water down divisional games.

7 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Living on the West Coast for sports is FANTASTIC. Games start at 9am on Saturday and GO ALL DAY.

If you are in the East…you can’t stay up to watch your team play out west if it’s a late game honestly….scheduling is easily fixable though.

Edited by dgambill

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

At that point, it ceases to he a conference in the strict definition of the rule.  For smaller sports, there is no way to play everyone every year.

It's very interesting, as all this shifting and realignment is really doing is simply redirecting the flow of allocated money. The universities can't physically move, so it's **obviously** about categorization. That said, drastic, tectonic shifts in the landscape are challenging the definition of 'conference', and possibly making it an antiquated term.

• Like 1