USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Im not going to pretend I know how it works.  I think it's based on subscribers.  Sure Texas will garner more but its not as wide as you think.  My family in Texas used to be die hard UT and have switched allegiances in the last 10 years.  Looks like 92,000 more alum but I would think the crazies down there would splurge the extra $10 to add a B1G Fox Sports 1/2 package just to have all their bases covered.  Since this is an arms race for multi billion dollar stakes, the B1G and Fox really has to get something in Texas or Florida, imo.  

I don’t think SEC would do all 3 Miami, Florida, and FSU so we take which ever FL jumps ship. I’d say FSU since Miami seems shady like most SEC schools.

I know what you are saying about Texas…id love to be in that pie…just think if we have to pay id rather take Texas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

They won’t offer the same tv deals at all. If you are a tv exec which would you pay more for? Texas or A&M..it isn’t even close honestly. Texas will always draw a much bigger number and would garner a much larger contract. I just wonder if all things are equal in how much it would cost to lure one away…id rather give the money to Texas. I have no clue if Texas could even get out of the SEC deal before they start but I’d much rather pull them….besides maybe pull Oklahoma too…they pull better ratings then A&M as well. That could be enough to revive Nebraska with those matchups back and we get the true value we thought we would get from those schools. Just saying if we are buying people out id rather steal Texas and Oklahoma before they go…will be much harder to steal a team already in trenched in SEC. A&M isn’t moving imo. 

The fandom down here in Texas is a lot closer than people think...

According to this A&M is ranked 11th in TV ratings while UT is 34th.

Now I know at least some of that is based on SEC vs Big 12, but every poll I've seen statewide A&M has a slight lead, particularly in the Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth metro areas...

To be honest, a lot of native Texans base their distaste for UT in the liberal city of Austin. Guilt by association I guess. A&M is viewed more favorably for it's military and agricultural arms (and I dare you to find a veterinarian around here that didn't get his or her degree from A&M). 

I live north of Houston, and for every Longhorn shirt/hat I see, I probably see 3X A&M gear...

As for the original question, I'd take either or both if they ever expressed interest... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

The fandom down here in Texas is a lot closer than people think...

According to this A&M is ranked 11th in TV ratings while UT is 34th.

Now I know at least some of that is based on SEC vs Big 12, but every poll I've seen statewide A&M has a slight lead, particularly in the Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth metro areas...

To be honest, a lot of native Texans base their distaste for UT in the liberal city of Austin. Guilt by association I guess. A&M is viewed more favorably for it's military and agricultural arms (and I dare you to find a veterinarian around here that didn't get his or her degree from A&M). 

I live north of Houston, and for every Longhorn shirt/hat I see, I probably see 3X A&M gear...

As for the original question, I'd take either or both if they ever expressed interest... 

I don’t begin to understand that breakdown. Anything that suggests K-State and Texas draw the same viewership to me has to be flawed. I can’t say how it is but it makes no sense. Maybe it’s the fact that Texas plays majority of their games on the Longhorn network and generally plays much smaller market teams in the Big 12 but the largest tv non-playoff game in 2019 pre-Covid was LSU Vs Texas. A&M does benefit from playing much better drawing opponents in SEC West. No doubt the stronger SEC viewership kills Big 12 numbers…so to me it’s their opponents driving up the viewership as much as they are bringing it. I imagine when Texas rolls in they will generate more eyes. I won’t argue the fan base breakdown of Texas….you would know much better than I. I don’t see either coming. A&M is making a killing in the SEC. I figure if you lure Texas before they go it might be easier.

Edited by dgambill

9 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

My list 

Kansas - no 

TAM - yes

Florida - yes

Florida State - no

Clemson - SEC

UNC - hell yes 

Duke - no 

Arizona - yes

Arizona State - no

Iowa State - hell no 

Colorado - yes

CSU - no

Oregon - no 

Washington - Yes

Washington State - No 

Boston College - pro town but I’d consider it

Georgia Tech - ditto 

ND - squeeze the bleep out of them; don’t need them 

I could get to 6-8 add-ons that work financially 

We are in a position to cherry pick. Don’t add anyone who doesn’t add tremendous value in terms of (a) national following, (b) great TV markets, and (c) fit the academic standards.  Adding Nebraska was a misfire.  Knock it off with that.  Rutgers was for a simplistic NYC grab but it’s a pro sports town.  I have a nephew who went to Rutgers on a full ride.  Not an exaggeration that it’s miserable.  Doesn’t fit the profile and image of the B1G.  There’s a reason the NJ and NY kids can’t wait to pile into B1G campuses and it’s because their state schools are low profile and just at a lower stature.  

Would be kinda of fun to take NC but not Duke 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, rico said:

That pretty much says that if Notre Dame comes to the Big 10, that Stanford would be the only other Pac-12 invitee...

Don't know if I'm buying that. I don't think 16 or 18 is a good number for a conference. I think it'll be 20... 

I think the SEC eventually takes on 20 too... 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That pretty much says that if Notre Dame comes to the Big 10, that Stanford would be the only other Pac-12 invitee...

Don't know if I'm buying that. I don't think 16 or 18 is a good number for a conference. I think it'll be 20... 

I have seen a gazillion of these types of articles since the announcement.  The all have one thing in common....Notre Dame.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Stanford would be a good get.  They have a good balance between elite academics, money, and sports.  They also do well in secondary sports like golf and tennis. 

The Bay area is a logical expansion if we are going west.  Don't forget Cal to also cover the Bay area.  My dad went there so I have a soft spot for it.  But they also bring the bay area market. There is alot of money out there.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Stanford would be a good get.  They have a good balance between elite academics, money, and sports.  They also do well in secondary sports like golf and tennis. 

The Bay area is a logical expansion if we are going west.  Don't forget Cal to also cover the Bay area.  My dad went there so I have a soft spot for it.  But they also bring the bay area market. There is alot of money out there.

I think the logical expansion out west would be Stanford, Oregon, and Washington. No offense to Cal…I get it but I just don’t see them bringing enough revenue to justify bringing them in. 5 is good. Add Notre Dame and we’ll it feels complete.

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think the logical expansion out west would be Stanford, Oregon, and Washington. No offense to Cal…I get it but I just don’t see them bringing enough revenue to justify bringing them in. 5 is good. Add Notre Dame and we’ll it feels complete.

Cal-Stanford, Washington-Washington State, Oregon-Oregon State are every bit the rivalries in their respective states as IU-PUke is here. I don’t know if any of those schools would give up being aligned without their natural rivals.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Cal-Stanford, Washington-Washington State, Oregon-Oregon State are every bit the rivalries in their respective states as IU-PUke is here. I don’t know if any of those schools would give up being aligned without their natural rivals.

$$$ If IU was going to get $100 million more a year without Purdue…we would drop them in a second…don’t kid yourself. Besides there is non-conference available and if anything those schools that get left will make the hate even more intense. Iowa and Iowa st aren’t in the same conference and the hate is real. The biggest issue to me is do lawmakers get involved to put a halt to any of this stuff.

• Like 6

Per Yahoo!:

The UCLA Bruins and USC Trojans announced their departure for the Big Ten conference this week. The news came just one summer after Oklahoma and Texas voiced their plans to head to the SEC as late as the 2025 season.

Since the move, the Big 12 appears to be looking to become a third super conference. Not long after announcing a new conference commissioner, the Big 12 is reportedly looking at adding Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah.

While the league would not compare to what the Big Ten and SEC are building, it would present a viable third option to the two powers and include more teams in the future of college football.

The Big 12 has already added teams that could become recruiting strongholds. Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF are based in talent-rich recruiting grounds and have strong support from alumni. A merger between the Big 12 and Pac-12 presents a best-case scenario for teams outside of newly formed super conferences.

You know what’s going to be a real pain?  When BTN has on a Big 10 Elite on the careers of Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush. I get that Nebraska is in the B1G now but doing those episodes on the glory days under Osborn rubs me wrong. They weren’t in the B1G when those things happened. Now we have two more schools to have those on. Even more when we add Washington, Oregon, ND, the University of Phoenix Online, DeVry , or whoever else is in the pipeline. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

You know what’s going to be a real pain?  When BTN has on a Big 10 Elite on the careers of Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush. I get that Nebraska is in the B1G now but doing those episodes on the glory days under Osborn rubs me wrong. They weren’t in the B1G when those things happened. Now we have two more schools to have those on. Even more when we add Washington, Oregon, ND, the University of Phoenix Online, DeVry , or whoever else is in the pipeline. 

Just for you and Scott the B1G network is going to put on a new show called "Old School Big Ten" or "When the Big Ten was really only 10 teams".

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, slojoe said:

Has anyone seen any estimates of the amount to each school of B1G contract if ND joins?

I haven't seen any conjecture on that but from what I see, Notre Dame gets 15 mil from NBC and around 11 mil from the ACC right now.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, rico said:

I haven't seen any conjecture on that but from what I see, Notre Dame gets 15 mil from NBC and around 11 mil from the ACC right now.  

In that case the Irish would be making a big mistake by not joining B1G or SEC.  The $26 million not anything close to what they would get in either conference.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I am not buying that either.  They will need to go to 20 schools and they need 3 more on the west coast.  ND, Oregon, Washington and probably Stanford would be the most likely 3.  They need 3 because it will perfectly set up the situation I believe is developing.  4 divisions of 5 teams in 2 "regionally" based sub conferences:  Big Ten West and Big Ten East.  One of the divisions will be 5 west coast teams comprised of formerly Pac 12 schools.  That will help reduce travel costs for those 5 as they have guaranteed games with each other every year.  They will only have 5 football games that require the longer travel.  They will have 3 nonconference games of their choosing and those will probably be schools more in the west region.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, slojoe said:

In that case the Irish would be making a big mistake by not joining B1G or SEC.  The $26 million not anything close to what they would get in either conference.

I've read between $80-$100 million per school when the Big 10 gets its new TV contract... 

3 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Keep in mind that they are not a member of the ACC in football, thus they do not get a full conference "share."  That "costs" ND about 20 mil in additional revenue.  Point being, the Irish's refusal to join any conference in football is costing them money.

1 minute ago, rico said:

Keep in mind that they are not a member of the ACC in football, thus they do not get a full conference "share."  That "costs" ND about 20 mil in additional revenue.  Point being, the Irish's refusal to join any conference in football is costing them money.

Richer than thou trumps Holier than thou... 

• Like 1