USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

25 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

The one thing I hope comes from this is for the BTN to upgrade and step into the world of Ala Carte streaming availability (including extra "streams" in place of separate subscription tier).

I would pony up $5 a month for that!

9 minutes ago, rico said:

Big 12 meeting with 'Zona, Arizona St., Colorado, and Utah tomorrow?

https://thecomeback.com/ncaa/big-12-meeting-arizona-state-colorado-utah.html

B12 jumped the gun with their latest additions right? 

To me... a conference of AZ, ASU, Utah, CU, TTU, Kansas, KSU, ISU, WVU, TCU, and OKST...

Plus 2-4 other schools seems pretty sustainable. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

B12 jumped the gun with their latest additions right? 

To me... a conference of AZ, ASU, Utah, CU, TTU, Kansas, KSU, ISU, WVU, TCU, and OKST...

Plus 2-4 other schools seems pretty sustainable. 🤷‍♂️

Thanksgiving week-end.  BYU vs. Utah?

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 4:11 PM, Stlboiler23 said:

Purdue was right behind Iowa in terms of viewership last year which surprised me. If it’s strictly a football decision, other teams would be asked to leave before Purdue IMO. 

Viewership is impacted a lot by who you play.  On any given weekend, the school that is playing Ohio State will draw more viewers than the one playing Northwestern.   

• Like 1

Conference expansion has stunk for fans and is not good for college sports IMO. And when the ONLY reason a move is made is for $$, it usually doesn't end well (see LIV Golf).

2 hours ago, rico said:

I would pony up $5 a month for that!

Me too, but it would be a lot more than $5 methinks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Viewership is impacted a lot by who you play.  On any given weekend, the school that is playing Ohio State will draw more viewers than the one playing Northwestern.   

Fair point but it’s not like we played any of the big guys last year. Wisky and MSU were probably the two biggest. 

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Agreed. I think we actually benefit by playing the 4 most viewed programs in the BIG (OSU, Michigan, PSU, MSU). Everyone complains but we get a lot of benefit from eyes watching those games including recruits know we play the top teams and they will also get a chance to showcase against NFL caliber talent. But lots factor in. Which network the game is on (prime time fox or B1G and what time slot). 
https://medium.com/run-it-back-with-zach/which-college-football-programs-bring-in-the-most-tv-viewers-efc03c689e50

Not sure I buy everything in this article but it suggests we avg 1.17 million viewers in our games. (Purdue .620) I doubt we get 2x the viewers but if we did it’s because we play stronger competition.

Edited by dgambill

42 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agreed. I think we actually benefit by playing the 4 most viewed programs in the BIG (OSU, Michigan, PSU, MSU). Everyone complains but we get a lot of benefit from eyes watching those games including recruits know we play the top teams and they will also get a chance to showcase against NFL caliber talent. But lots factor in. Which network the game is on (prime time fox or B1G and what time slot). 
https://medium.com/run-it-back-with-zach/which-college-football-programs-bring-in-the-most-tv-viewers-efc03c689e50

Not sure I buy everything in this article but it suggests we avg 1.17 million viewers in our games. (Purdue .620) I doubt we get 2x the viewers but if we did it’s because we play stronger competition.

How is that list different than the other one where Purdue was well over a million?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

How is that list different than the other one where Purdue was well over a million?

🤷‍♂️ I can’t begin to understand how the calculations were done. Could be as simple as the year it was written. That one came after 2020 when we had our great season. Winning brings more eyes. Our game against OSU that year was one of the highest rated games all year for anyone during the regular season. Maybe the other was from this last year when Purdue had the good year? 🤷‍♂️ I haven’t looked at all the calculations closely enough to fully understand. Can you re-post the one you are referring to. I apologize I’ve probably missed it in all these threads.

Edit: Article says it avg 2015-2019 so my statement above doesn’t seem to hold true about us being good. I honestly think it’s that we play the 4 largest viewed teams in the BIG (OSU, UM, PSU, and MSU) and that skews our numbers higher. Plain and simple we benefit from playing the best schools….said it before but everyone wants to get away from them…I think they are crazy for that. Let us play the best.

Edited by dgambill

On 7/1/2022 at 4:13 PM, 5fouls said:

Why wait on Notre Dame.  If you're ultimately headed to 20 teams, you can still add Oregon an Washington to get to 18.  And, then you can pause while waiting for the Irish.  Gives UCLA and USC some closer conference foes.

Another question would be, if you do add Notre Dame, who comes in with them?  A West Coast team with Notre Dame does not make sense.

I know we all despise ND but they are the only team that moves the needle when it comes to adding viewers. They pull bigger numbers than anyone outside of OSU and I dare say that probably close to half are in the greater northeast NY market. They move the needle more than anyone in the PAC12 and anyone in the ACC. Fact is you wait and re-access what it would take to bring them in. Do they want Stanford….do they ask for one of their ACC partners to be added. You have to prioritize them in any decision before running off to add the other lesser PAC12 schools. Honestly outside ND…their is no real big fish left unless we move towards the ACC. So you want to make sure you have flexibility in your pursuit of ND if you are leaders in the B1G offices. Sure us Indiana folks might not like the way ND walks around so much better than everyone but guess what…we’d get a shot at knocking them down a few pegs regularly if they came. Problem with ND is they have scheduled built so far out because they aren’t part of a conference it might make it difficult but I think it’s now or never with them. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

One thing I will say….people that keep begging to poach Georgia Tech because it’s in Atlanta….they have less viewers then Purdue. If you want ACC you target Clemson and FSU and it isn’t close to anyone else.

I suppose if I was trying to be strategic about growing the conference footprint I would look at trying to get Washington, Oregon, and Stanford out west….and look at Clemson, Virginia Tech, Florida St, and ND. That’s 24 teams. Obviously Miami, UL, and NC would also make sense logistically and market wise that would be nice but could you go to 26/27 and how much of a headache would be trying to monitor Miami and UL those dirt ball  schools and the headaches they would cause.

In the end I don’t think the goal is to destroy the ACC…I think we add the 3 out west and ND.

Edited by dgambill

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

🤷‍♂️ I can’t begin to understand how the calculations were done. Could be as simple as the year it was written. That one came after 2020 when we had our great season. Winning brings more eyes. Our game against OSU that year was one of the highest rated games all year for anyone during the regular season. Maybe the other was from this last year when Purdue had the good year? 🤷‍♂️ I haven’t looked at all the calculations closely enough to fully understand. Can you re-post the one you are referring to. I apologize I’ve probably missed it in all these threads.

Edit: Article says it avg 2015-2019 so my statement above doesn’t seem to hold true about us being good. I honestly think it’s that we don’t play the 4 largest viewed teams in the big (OSU, UM, PSU, and MSU) and that skews our numbers higher. Plain and simple we benefit from playing the best schools….said it before but everyone wants to get away from them…I think they are crazy for that. Let us play the best.

If it was 2015-2019, I’m actually surprised ours is that high haha. That’s multiple years of the Hazell era lol. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, rico said:

When the ACC starts to crumble?

Wouldn't they be giving away some leverage then?

Once that happens, the only other options might be Independent, Big 12 (whatever that would look like), or SEC... And The Irish joining the SEC would definitely be the round peg in the square hole... The Big 10 provides so many natural (Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue) and historical (USC, Stanford) rivalries that would draw big TV ratings.

But all of the grandstanding aside, it comes down to money. If Notre Dame is guaranteed to make 3 to 4 times what they're making now, they'll come...