USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

According to this article the Big 10 "Wish List" is...

Notre Dame 

Stanford 

Oregon 

and...

North Carolina 

If this is truly the list, then I would expect confirmation on Oregon and Stanford soon.  No need to hold up adding them if you are awaiting a ND decision.  

I have a feeling UNC's decision will be tied to ND's.  If ND does, indeed, agree to join the Big Ten, that is a blow for the future of the ACC and UNC may be the first to jump from the sinking ship.  If, however, ND does the unexpected and says 'what the hell' and joins the ACC as a football member, then the ACC still has a seat at the adult table and there is less incentive for UNC to leave.

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If this is truly the list, then I would expect confirmation on Oregon and Stanford soon.  No need to hold up adding them if you are awaiting a ND decision.  

I have a feeling UNC's decision will be tied to ND's.  If ND does, indeed, agree to join the Big Ten, that is a blow for the future of the ACC and UNC may be the first to jump from the sinking ship.  If, however, ND does the unexpected and says 'what the hell' and joins the ACC as a football member, then the ACC still has a seat at the adult table and there is less incentive for UNC to leave.

VIDEO: Cardinals Have Voted; White Smoke from Sistine Chapel: There is a  New Pope – Cardinal News

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If, however, ND does the unexpected and says 'what the hell' and joins the ACC as a football member, then the ACC still has a seat at the adult table and there is less incentive for UNC to leave.

One interesting item is the ACC "Grant of Rights" which contractually obligates the Irish to the ACC if they try to join any conference in football...

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out... 

38 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Do you guys think UNC will want to pair with NC State?  If we get ND, we’d have three schools from Indiana   North Carolina has four in the ACC but it sounds like a couple of them will drop off   Not many states can pull off three major schools in one of the major conferences going forward with the changes.  Cali would be another.   Two is common but three….

Edited by BobSaccamanno

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Wouldn't they be giving away some leverage then?

Once that happens, the only other options might be Independent, Big 12 (whatever that would look like), or SEC... And The Irish joining the SEC would definitely be the round peg in the square hole... The Big 10 provides so many natural (Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue) and historical (USC, Stanford) rivalries that would draw big TV ratings.

But all of the grandstanding aside, it comes down to money. If Notre Dame is guaranteed to make 3 to 4 times what they're making now, they'll come... 

I suspect a big part of Notre Dame's reluctance is that they are fully aware they are more 'mystique' than substance at this point.  Joining a conference and only becoming the 4th or 5th best program in that conference would not be good for the image.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I suspect a big part of Notre Dame's reluctance is that they are fully aware they are more 'mystique' than substance at this point.  Joining a conference and only becoming the 4th or 5th best program in that conference would not be good for the image.

Pride goeth before a fall

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-in-deep-discussions-to-add-up-to-six-pac-12-teams-after-usc-ucla-defections-to-big-ten/

Some of the PAC 12 teams discussed in this thread may not be no'brainer candidates to join the B1G.

As far as ND goes. First, I have several friends who are alumni, and they all are spouting the "we don't need to join a conference" arrogant mantra. Secondly, if they were to consider becoming a full-fledged conference member, I would bet money that they will make all kinds of demands because, "We are ND"....🤑

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

By not committing, they get to be eternally coveted. 

Problem is, t*ts sag and n*ts drop; and when they finally/inevitably do, those looking will look elsewhere and ND will be left behind, holding a sack of prunes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, MoyeCowbell said:

By not committing, they get to be eternally coveted. 

Problem is, t*ts sag and n*ts drop; and when they finally/inevitably do, those looking will look elsewhere and ND will be left behind, holding a sack of prunes.

Dear Notre Dame, we are making a playoff system based off the teams in our league.  Get in or get iced out.

If they messed around too much, that would be the final thing I would do as the BIG and SEC.  Ice. Them. Out.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Dear Notre Dame, we are making a playoff system based off the teams in our league.  Get in or get iced out.

If they messed around too much, that would be the final thing I would do as the BIG and SEC.  Ice. Them. Out.

Yessssss

35 minutes ago, rico said:

What 10?

10 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

The article didn’t say.

The WSJ article really didn't say.

Here's a different source today with speculation of 12 teams.  The usual names, including North Carolina, Duke, and Syracuse.  Notre Dame, too, of course. 

https://www.dispatch.com/story/sports/2022/07/05/who-join-big-ten-conference-next-here-12-schools/7814281001/

• Thanks 1

I don't get this talk of future expansion. USC and UCLA bring LA and thus grow the pie by more than they themselves eat. I don't think that can be said about very many remaining teams that aren't in the BIG or SEC. So why grow beyond that? The only potential answer I can see is if they plan to team up with the SEC and squeeze everyone else out of the playoff. If they do that, then there is a certain logic to 20 (though I don't know that it's necessary), but if they are just going to dominate the playoff and not squeeze out the others by rule, why do we want to be bigger? I don't see it.

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

I don't get this talk of future expansion. USC and UCLA bring LA and thus grow the pie by more than they themselves eat. I don't think that can be said about very many remaining teams that aren't in the BIG or SEC. So why grow beyond that? The only potential answer I can see is if they plan to team up with the SEC and squeeze everyone else out of the playoff. If they do that, then there is a certain logic to 20 (though I don't know that it's necessary), but if they are just going to dominate the playoff and not squeeze out the others by rule, why do we want to be bigger? I don't see it.

The money is in the squeeze.  If you go from 70ish teams in a Big 5 down to 40 to 48 teams in a Big 2, then you shoukd be eating up the money those other schools were splitting in their conferences.  You take the money that pays to televise the bowls and keep it for yourself.  You take the National title money and keep it for yourself.

Those on the outside become the MAC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

There is definitely two parts to this equation. One is simply what brings the current members the most money (right now) and USC and UCLA certainly would add to that. ND as well so it’s obvious they would add to the pie and grow it. As far as what other schools would likely grow the pie to me it would be Oregon and then ACC schools Clemson and Florida St. 

That said there is another factor at work at that is growing your brand….growing your market and reaching more people and bringing in more eyes to your schools and hopefully more enrollment and build more prestige etc that will pay off down the road in greater revenue even if it might cost some money now. Consider it an investment. In that case I’d say Virginia Tech, NC, Washington, and likely Stanford or Miami make the most sense in growing your footprint in other markets and becoming a true national brand…while still not significantly altering the pie substantially. Any other schools and you likely are just hurting the current ones. The other factor is also no way you are allowed to poach only one or two schools…they won’t be allowed to leave so you need enough in the ACC to get a majority to agree to rescind their rights to the conference and all get let out of the deal. So basically enough vote to get out so they can all come. I’d say you would need to take minimum 4-5 and hope SEC also convinces 4-5 to come. You need a majority to want to leave for one or another…question becomes who gets the biggest pieces of the pie…and the icing (Clemson).

41 minutes ago, Indykev said:

My first IU football game I remember going to was against USC. We lost 21-0. Marcus Allen ran for 263 yards( if I remember it right ) and 3 TD's.

I was born in Los Angeles, so I welcome both schools.

Lee Corso promised a Rose Bowl Caliber team in Bloomington 😳🫤😅

• Like 1