USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

6 hours ago, Madison22 said:

The WSJ article really didn't say.

Here's a different source today with speculation of 12 teams.  The usual names, including North Carolina, Duke, and Syracuse.  Notre Dame, too, of course. 

https://www.dispatch.com/story/sports/2022/07/05/who-join-big-ten-conference-next-here-12-schools/7814281001/

Just go to 20 teams and call it a day. You add Oregon, Standford, UNC and Duke. Or OK.St., Kansas, UNC and Duke. Although the 2nd 4 doesnt do much for football.

If you are doing it for markets, you have to think about Ga.Tech and U Of Miami

Edited by Indykev
  • Like 1

I have little confidence in the B1G to be proactive and make the right moves here. USC and UCLA apparently initiated talks. They fell in our lap.  I see an easy chance to grab 4 more teams and dictate our future.  Instead, I fear we do nothing here while we wait on ND and let others catch up and take potential targets off the board. Grab Stanford and Oregon for balance out west and a couple ACC teams then call it a day. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I have little confidence in the B1G to be proactive and make the right moves here. USC and UCLA apparently initiated talks. They fell in our lap.  I see an easy chance to grab 4 more teams and dictate our future.  Instead, I fear we do nothing here while we wait on ND and let others catch up and take potential targets off the board. Grab Stanford and Oregon for balance out west and a couple ACC teams then call it a day. 

I expressed this same concern.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rico said:

Notre Dame would be foolish to join the ACC in football unless the long term deal with ESPN gets renegotiated and puts the ACC on equal footing dollar-wise with the ACC and Big 10.

I think Notre Dame will eventually join the Big 10 after a lawsuit/buydown/buyout/exorcism 😁. I know they "wish" to remain independent, but the TV deal they have with NBC right now is chump change... 

1 hour ago, rico said:

Good stuff. There has been so much speculation about UNC, Clemson, FSU etc. jumping ship from the ACC but they are truly handcuffed. The ACC schools were really short-sighted when they extended the term so far out. I'm sure they'll find a way to get out of it but it's going to be costly and I suspect won't be a quick process.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Notre Dame would be foolish to join the ACC in football unless the long term deal with ESPN gets renegotiated and puts the ACC on equal footing dollar-wise with the ACC and Big 10.

I think Notre Dame will eventually join the Big 10 after a lawsuit/buydown/buyout/exorcism 😁. I know they "wish" to remain independent, but the TV deal they have with NBC right now is chump change... 

Would the yearly amount given to them by the B1G be equal to their single contract with NBC?  Always felt it was more

4 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Would the yearly amount given to them by the B1G be equal to their single contract with NBC?  Always felt it was more

The yearly amount of the NBC contract is $15 million. 

The next Big 10 TV contract is said to have each Big 10 school getting $100 million... 

1 minute ago, rico said:

Worth noting that ND's contract with NBC expires after 2025.

...and I don't think NBC would give them $100 mil on the renewal.  Could be wrong but that would be a big jump for a program that has been pretty good but not elite recently.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

...and I don't think NBC would give them $100 mil on the renewal.  Could be wrong but that would be a big jump for a program that has been pretty good but not elite recently.

NBC could come into play with the B1G?  

https://www.si.com/college/2022/06/09/big-ten-football-media-rights-fox-cbs-nbc

Edited by rico

3 minutes ago, rico said:

I just have a feeling the Big Ten is going to pull off a monster deal here and Notre Dame would maximize their $$$ potential joining that fray.  Don't know if they can set their egos aside to make it happen, but with or without Notre Dame, I think the Big Ten is going to get a monster deal.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I just have a feeling the Big Ten is going to pull off a monster deal here and Notre Dame would maximize their $$$ potential joining that fray.  Don't know if they can set their egos aside to make it happen, but with or without Notre Dame, I think the Big Ten is going to get a monster deal.

I've seen valuations of the B1G's next TV contract up to $1.6B per year after the additions of USC and UCLA without adding anyone else. The more realistic number is around $1.3B. Even before that it was around $1B. So, yes, it'll be a monster deal.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

Is the next move UNC, UVA, FSU, and Clemson to the SEC?

If it happens that means they got out of the ACC contract and the rest of the conference is up for grabs. 

Who would want anything left after that. The only markets and brands in the ACC that matter are Virginia Tech, UNC, Clemson, and Florida St. Why waste money on the scraps. The point would be to beat the SEC to those schools…while pulling any value left out of PAC12 (Oregon, Stanford, and Washington). Add ND and that’s hard even for SEC to match.

5 hours ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Good stuff. There has been so much speculation about UNC, Clemson, FSU etc. jumping ship from the ACC but they are truly handcuffed. The ACC schools were really short-sighted when they extended the term so far out. I'm sure they'll find a way to get out of it but it's going to be costly and I suspect won't be a quick process.

A majority of schools would have to agree to dissolve the agreement. Not likely to happen since there are really only 5-6 schools worth investing in if you are SEC/B1G.

18 hours ago, IUFLA said:

The yearly amount of the NBC contract is $15 million. 

The next Big 10 TV contract is said to have each Big 10 school getting $100 million... 

That is an unbelievable amount of money for each school.  What do they get each year now?  Every B1G school should have top facilities with that kind of money coming in

6 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

That is an unbelievable amount of money for each school.  What do they get each year now?  Every B1G school should have top facilities with that kind of money coming in

According to this 

"The league gets about $440 million a year in TV money (including from the Fox-run Big Ten Network), meaning each of the 14 schools receives about $31.4 million."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

IU got a top knotch School of Global and International Studies.

“The $53 million building was funded entirely through university sources,” the release read, “with half of the funding coming from IU's Big Ten Network revenues, representing the largest-ever commitment from IU Athletics revenue to support the core academic mission of the university.”

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

viewership is the key I think.  Will NBC want to pony up for the kind of viewership they bring nationally? Maybe not, but that would lock them out of pretty much all P5 football? Am I forgetting another NBC conf deal?