USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

As bad as I hate to say this, IU is historically even worse than Vandy. 

From a top to bottom athletics dept? 

They aren't in the same realm as we are. We have more NCs in soccer than all of their sports programs combined. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

From a top to bottom athletics dept? 

They aren't in the same realm as we are. We have more NCs in soccer than all of their sports programs combined. 

Talking strictly football. That's the elephant in the room, no? 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Not suggesting that the big draws will form a conference of their own, just that they will demand a larger slice of the pie. The weaklings have no leverage to say no. 

If the big draws can't form their own super conference because they'll all beat each other up constantly, what leverage do they have to demand more?

There's power in numbers. OSU and UM need the Big Ten as much as it needs them. They ain't going to the SEC, so where could they threaten to go?

37 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Oh yeah, they're better as a program. Marginally, yeah. 

Their stadium is miles behind Memorial Stadium though. Unsure of the rest of their facilities. 

Vandy fans are content to be the brilliant doormats of the SEC.  Their gameday atmosphere is closer to UAB than the rest of the SEC or even IU.  Since Wilson came to IU, I don't think they're anywhere close to us.  With our new president's interest in sports, I think that gap will only get wider. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Vandy fans are content to be the brilliant doormats of the SEC.  Their gameday atmosphere is closer to UAB than the rest of the SEC or even IU.  Since Wilson came to IU, I don't think they're anywhere close to us.  With our new president's interest in sports, I think that gap will only get wider. 

Let's do this... we schedule Vandy home and home... and me and you meet in Nashvegas for Broadway St and the game!! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rico said:

I expect nothing less from the Gov of California...

There was a bill in the California legislature that called to directly pay college athletes from certain school revenue streams. Senate Bill 1401, the College Athlete Race and Gender Equity Act died in appropriations hearings but is going to be revived at some point.

And just as California forced the NIL hand for schools, other states will have to pass similar legislation if they want to keep pace. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

There was a bill in the California legislature that called to directly pay college athletes from certain school revenue streams. Senate Bill 1401, the College Athlete Race and Gender Equity Act died in appropriations hearings but is going to be revived at some point.

And just as California forced the NIL hand for schools, other states will have to pass similar legislation if they want to keep pace. 

I would assume that the Governor wants USC and UCLA to make as much money as they can?  Or does that notion stop when those schools want to leave the Pac 12?

4 hours ago, rico said:

I would assume that the Governor wants USC and UCLA to make as much money as they can?  Or does that notion stop when those schools want to leave the Pac 12?

Given that USC is a private school, I would hope that the governor is more focused on state backed schools, UCLA, Cal-Berkeley,etc. 

USC is always going to get theirs. And certainly, as the school is in the state, they will have to abide by any rules the state's government enacts. However, in not taking state tax revenues, I wonder if they  have any leeway. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rico said:

I would assume that the Governor wants USC and UCLA to make as much money as they can?

Gov Gavin Newsom's feelings were hurt because the UCLA decision was made without him knowing first, or being involved at all.  That means he didn't have the opportunity to extract political gain from the situation.

Like most politicians, Newsom wants what's best for Newsom. 

He's also considering a Presidential run for 2024, so he has to hog the cameras as much as possible.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Gov Gavin Newsom's feelings were hurt because the UCLA decision was made without him knowing first, or being involved at all.  That means he didn't have the opportunity to extract political gain from the situation.

He's also considering a Presidential run for 2024, so he has to hog the cameras as much as possible.

Ya know?  I hadn't yet looked at it from that angle.  Wtf was I thinking?  LOL

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

That was my takeaway from the article, too. He didn't really seem to care that UCLA wanted to go to the B1G but was just upset that he found out about it the same way as everyone else and he wasn't involved.

• Like 3