USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

14 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Curious to see if NBC getting some rights to B1G games will help or hurt our cause with Notre Dame.  The word prior was NBC was looking to add some games to either lead into or run post weekly ND game.  

I think it would be giving ND exactly what they want so it would hurt the chances. NBC would have their lead in games that they want before committing to $75M+/year.

4 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

I think it would be giving ND exactly what they want so it would hurt the chances. NBC would have their lead in games that they want before committing to $75M+/year.

I would say that it looks like it is playing into what Notre Dame wants.  Now we shall see what NBC wants to do with them.

A random thought that my buddy mentioned the other day.  Since USC will be joining the B1G will they still want to play ND if the Irish remain an independent?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rico said:

I would say that it looks like it is playing into what Notre Dame wants.  Now we shall see what NBC wants to do with them.

A random thought that my buddy mentioned the other day.  Since USC will be joining the B1G will they still want to play ND if the Irish remain an independent?

That's a good question. They'll already be traveling across the country for 1/2 their conference games so I imagine they'd want their non-con games to be at home or at least on the west coast.

5 hours ago, rico said:

Given they will have 9 conference games within an already much more difficult B1G leaving only a couple out of conference opponents you have to wonder how much appetite to play another tough out of conference foe. Especially since they may want to keep some ties to old PAC12 schools. ND loses these type of games and those ratings will start to dip…and that NBC contract might drop. At this point I just don’t see ND joining any conference unless they can’t play in the playoffs. As long as they are getting close to B1G money from their tv deal they have no incentive to leave. I also don’t think they want to give up their ability to control their scheduling and marketability by being constrained within a conference. No more neutral site road games in nfl stadiums, carefully hand choosing their opponents (scheduling would be largely locked in with B1G) and I think they very much value being a national brand and while the B1G is East to west coast now the division they play will largely be Midwest opponents. Don’t think that is a positive for them. Finally surviving a conference like the B1G with OSU, UM, PSU, MSU, Wisconsin, Iowa, and USC…very little chance they making the playoffs nearly as often as they can being an independent.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dgambill said:

Given they will have 9 conference games within an already much more difficult B1G leaving only a couple out of conference opponents you have to wonder how much appetite to play another tough out of conference foe. Especially since they may want to keep some ties to old PAC12 schools. ND loses these type of games and those ratings will start to dip…and that NBC contract might drop. At this point I just don’t see ND joining any conference unless they can’t play in the playoffs. As long as they are getting close to B1G money from their tv deal they have no incentive to leave. I also don’t think they want to give up their ability to control their scheduling and marketability by being constrained within a conference. No more neutral site road games in nfl stadiums, carefully hand choosing their opponents (scheduling would be largely locked in with B1G) and I think they very much value being a national brand and while the B1G is East to west coast now the division they play will largely be Midwest opponents. Don’t think that is a positive for them. Finally surviving a conference like the B1G with OSU, UM, PSU, MSU, Wisconsin, Iowa, and USC…very little chance they making the playoffs nearly as often as they can being an independent.

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/ncaa-football/college-football-realignment-news-notre-dame-update-conference#:~:text=Notre Dame's deal with NBC,in its next media contract.&text=But in order to pay,Saturdays around Fighting Irish games.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rico said:

Yep…matches up. In the end they aren’t going to be too worried…unless their brand was to fall off there will always be a seat in a conference for them.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2022/08/09/Media/ESPN-Big-Ten-TV-rights.aspx

NBC’s Peacock streaming service will carry an undetermined number of games per year exclusively. Peacock also will simulcast the games that air on NBC.

Gonna need all the apps to watch all the games.... 😜

The wave of the future is here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rico said:

The wave of the future is here.

Can’t wait until all the games are streamed and with the billion dollar deals being made we will have to accept drop down and scrolling advertising throughout the games! Like web browsers!😫 Hopefully they can do Picture in Picture so we don’t have to deal with the advertisements constantly moving so you can’t keep track of what you want to see!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2022/08/09/Media/ESPN-Big-Ten-TV-rights.aspx

NBC’s Peacock streaming service will carry an undetermined number of games per year exclusively. Peacock also will simulcast the games that air on NBC.

Gonna need all the apps to watch all the games.... 😜

This is going to be a bad development if I need 4-5 apps to watch all the IU games.  If they keep showing everything on BTN a day or two delayed, I'm good with that as I watch most games delayed anyway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

This is going to be a bad development if I need 4-5 apps to watch all the IU games.  If they keep showing everything on BTN a day or two delayed, I'm good with that as I watch most games delayed anyway.

Yep, and unless peecock is included in the streaming package I buy there's no way I'll pay extra to nbc/comcast just on principle and moral conscience.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

If I can’t get the game on channel 4, with my B&W with rabbit ears and aluminum foil, I won’t watch. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

If I can’t get the game on channel 4, with my B&W with rabbit ears and aluminum foil, I won’t watch. 

Fixed income and I still have to run outside and turn my antenna! Wish I had my BACKUP RABBIT EARS!! This tv stuff and sports are killing me. 😏🍺

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, IUskim said:

In case you didn't know, Yellowstone is on Peacock and is a fantastic series.  A good reason to pay for peacock other than just a few IU games.

21 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

In case you didn't know, Yellowstone is on Peacock and is a fantastic series.  A good reason to pay for peacock other than just a few IU games.

Peacock is free as of right now, but I wonder if they will put the games on peacock premium where you have to pay to watch it. 

45 minutes ago, IUskim said:

If any of you have comcast/Xfinity check with them and see if they are still giving out streaming boxes(essentially like a roku box).  They gave me one about a year ago and it came with free ad supported peacock.  

I have Peacock for their IndyCar coverage.  Hopefully everything is on the free version of Peacock and not the premium.  

There is an IndyCar reporter I follow on twitter who refers to Peacock as "the cock" and he always makes jokes when some IndyCar event is about to start that is only on Peacock that incoprorate that name.  I'm sure we will find a way to capitalize here on HSN as well.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

If any of you have comcast/Xfinity check with them and see if they are still giving out streaming boxes(essentially like a roku box).  They gave me one about a year ago and it came with free ad supported peacock.  

You can just download the app on your roku or firestick, as well. 

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Xfinity guy here. Didn't realize I got Peacock for free... that was huge for my Yellowstone viewing. 

• Like 1