Jump to content

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

If you are in the East…you can’t stay up to watch your team play out west if it’s a late game honestly….scheduling is easily fixable though.

Exactly. That's why I said its great out here. It's less than ideal for East Coast / Midwest viewers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MoyeCowbell said:

It's very interesting, as all this shifting and realignment is really doing is simply redirecting the flow of allocated money. The universities can't physically move, so it's **obviously** about categorization. That said, drastic, tectonic shifts in the landscape are challenging the definition of 'conference', and possibly making it an antiquated term.

Agreed…what is the point of the NCAA. BIG commissioner will just run out conference and set all our rules. Ignore NCAA

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My list 

Kansas - no 

TAM - yes

Florida - yes

Florida State - no

Clemson - SEC

UNC - hell yes 

Duke - no 

Arizona - yes

Arizona State - no

Iowa State - hell no 

Colorado - yes

CSU - no

Oregon - no 

Washington - Yes

Washington State - No 

Boston College - pro town but I’d consider it

Georgia Tech - ditto 

ND - squeeze the bleep out of them; don’t need them 

I could get to 6-8 add-ons that work financially 

We are in a position to cherry pick. Don’t add anyone who doesn’t add tremendous value in terms of (a) national following, (b) great TV markets, and (c) fit the academic standards.  Adding Nebraska was a misfire.  Knock it off with that.  Rutgers was for a simplistic NYC grab but it’s a pro sports town.  I have a nephew who went to Rutgers on a full ride.  Not an exaggeration that it’s miserable.  Doesn’t fit the profile and image of the B1G.  There’s a reason the NJ and NY kids can’t wait to pile into B1G campuses and it’s because their state schools are low profile and just at a lower stature.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

It's very interesting, as all this shifting and realignment is really doing is simply redirecting the flow of allocated money. The universities can't physically move, so it's **obviously** about categorization. That said, drastic, tectonic shifts in the landscape are challenging the definition of 'conference', and possibly making it an antiquated term.

There has to be some sort of integration though because if their is no crossover of playing each other and association other than a tv money deal then honestly it makes no sense. They have to play each other in meaningful games or it’s pointless. We are exactly where we were except the BIG is just bailing out the PAC10. If only the west teams play each other and the East and we don’t get out teams playing in each other markets then it really doesn’t change anything then what we have today.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t think a single SEC school will leave…just not happening. You look at ACC and PAC10 and take the best that you can get. But you got to leave it at 20-24…and even that is almost not doable for scheduling purposes if you want all these schools to play each other on a 2-3 year period.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, dgambill said:

I don’t think a single SEC school will leave…just not happening. You look at ACC and PAC10 and take the best that you can get. But you got to leave it at 20-24…and even that is almost not doable for scheduling purposes if you want all these schools to play each other on a 2-3 year period.

I agree.  SEC schools aren’t leaving but you make a run at ATM.   They tried to get away from Texas once before.  That would be a coup.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is possibly an ill-fitting analogy, as it's not apples to apples (but I find it a bit humorous nonetheless): but conference realignment feels like the cyclical evolution of TV/Cable/Streaming.

Core channels.

More channels.

"Cable" - which consolidates all the channels.

Glut - as the cable package balloons to ridiculous size because you have to accept VH1 2 and Nordic DIY Network just to keep ESPN and TNT. Now we're paying for channels (ahem Purdue, Iowa State, Temple) that we don't want.

Streaming!! - Better programming! Get what we want and we don't have to have cable!!

Each Network launches its own streaming network - wait a minute! Now I have to subscribe **all** these platforms because Yellowstone is on Paramount+ Peacock, and Stranger Things is on Netfilx and The Boys is on Amazon Prime.... "aaahhhhh"

Now we have the exact same equivalent of streaming networks as we did channels; just rebranded.

How do we consolidate all of this?? (Queue Twilight Zone music)

Edited by MoyeCowbell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree.  SEC schools aren’t leaving but you make a run at ATM.   They tried to get away from Texas once before.  That would be a coup.  

Exit payout would be enormous! Why not try to lure Texas before they go to the SEC. They are the real prize anyways. I’d rather pay to get them out of their deal to go to SEC then pay A&M to leave. If it’s a bidding war I think BIG has the money. Would pay off long term as A&M is a chihuahua compared to a Great Dane in what Texas would bring in.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

This is possibly an ill-fitting analogy, as it's not apples to apples (but I find it a bit humorous nonetheless): but conference realignment feels like the cyclical evolution of TV/Cable/Streaming.

Core channels.

More channels.

"Cable" - which consolidates all the channels.

Glut - as the cable package balloons to ridiculous size because you have to accept VH1 2 and Nordic DIY Network just to keep ESPN and TNT. Now we're paying for channels (ahem Purdue, Iowa State, Temple) that we don't want.

Streaming!! - Better programming! Get what we want and we don't have to have cable!!

Each Network launches its own streaming network - wait a minute! Now I have to subscribe **all** these platforms because Yellowstone is on Paramount+ and Stranger Things is on Netfilx and The Boys is on Amazon Prime.... "aaahhhhh"

Now we have the exact same equivalent of streaming networks as we did channels; just rebranded.

How do we consolidate all of this?? (Queue Twilight Zone music)

Yellowstone is on Peacock. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Exactly. That's why I said its great out here. It's less than ideal for East Coast / Midwest viewers.

I can't wait for that 11pm kick-off when IU visits UCLA/USC!  Beer me.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

How about that 12 noon kickoff for UCLA traveling to play Rutgers or Maryland. Geez on top of that the fans for these teams having to wake up and watch them….I guess mimosas and bloody Mary’s will be the new pre-kick off drink of choice. Hard to wake up at 8am and start downing coors light before a 9am kickoff.

breakfast of champions

No pain 🍺

no gain 🍺🍺🍺

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

How about that 12 noon kickoff for UCLA traveling to play Rutgers or Maryland. Geez on top of that the fans for these teams having to wake up and watch them….I guess mimosas and bloody Mary’s will be the new pre-kick off drink of choice. Hard to wake up at 8am and start downing coors light before a 9am kickoff.

Wake and bake. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Somebody said it above but the 10 pm spot adds another TV slot.  Imagine Michigan at USC at 10 pm.  People will go berserk.  

It will be "must see TV" for me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, rico said:

Is Kansas good at anything other than men's basketball?

  • Kansas is the top wheat producing state in the U.S.
  • Kansas has the most tornadoes per square mile of any state
  • Ameilia Earhart was born in Kansas
  • White Castle was founded in Wichita in 1913
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Every football game USC and UCLA play in the Eastern Time zone will be a 3:30 or later start time.  Every one.  It's not that hard to make happen.

So then, will the same concessions be made so that Eastern time zone teams aren’t playing at godforsaken hours when on the West Coast?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:
  • Kansas is the top wheat producing state in the U.S.
  • Kansas has the most tornadoes per square mile of any state
  • Ameilia Earhart was born in Kansas
  • White Castle was founded in Wichita in 1913

Didn’t the band Toto come from Kansas or maybe the band Kansas came from Toto?

image.jpeg.72b6071e6023c869f44a852e9a709348.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:
  • Kansas is the top wheat producing state in the U.S.
  • Kansas has the most tornadoes per square mile of any state
  • Ameilia Earhart was born in Kansas
  • White Castle was founded in Wichita in 1913

That’s weird that WC was founded west of the Mississippi and there are very few if any in that area

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

Exit payout would be enormous! Why not try to lure Texas before they go to the SEC. They are the real prize anyways. I’d rather pay to get them out of their deal to go to SEC then pay A&M to leave. If it’s a bidding war I think BIG has the money. Would pay off long term as A&M is a chihuahua compared to a Great Dane in what Texas would bring in.

They would offer the same market.  Its not about UTs endowment vs A&M.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

They would offer the same market.  Its not about UTs endowment vs A&M.  

They won’t offer the same tv deals at all. If you are a tv exec which would you pay more for? Texas or A&M..it isn’t even close honestly. Texas will always draw a much bigger number and would garner a much larger contract. I just wonder if all things are equal in how much it would cost to lure one away…id rather give the money to Texas. I have no clue if Texas could even get out of the SEC deal before they start but I’d much rather pull them….besides maybe pull Oklahoma too…they pull better ratings then A&M as well. That could be enough to revive Nebraska with those matchups back and we get the true value we thought we would get from those schools. Just saying if we are buying people out id rather steal Texas and Oklahoma before they go…will be much harder to steal a team already in trenched in SEC. A&M isn’t moving imo. 

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

They won’t offer the same tv deals at all. If you are a tv exec which would you pay more for? Texas or A&M..it isn’t even close honestly. Texas will always draw a much bigger number and would garner a much larger contract. I just wonder if all things are equal in how much it would cost to lure one away…id rather give the money to Texas. I have no clue if Texas could even get out of the SEC deal before they start but I’d much rather pull them….besides maybe pull Oklahoma too…they pull better ratings then A&M as well. That could be enough to revive Nebraska with those matchups back and we get the true value we thought we would get from those schools. Just saying if we are buying people out id rather steal Texas and Oklahoma before they go…will be much harder to steal a team already in trenched in SEC. A&M isn’t moving imo. 

Im not going to pretend I know how it works.  I think it's based on subscribers.  Sure Texas will garner more but its not as wide as you think.  My family in Texas used to be die hard UT and have switched allegiances in the last 10 years.  Looks like 92,000 more alum but I would think the crazies down there would splurge the extra $10 to add a B1G Fox Sports 1/2 package just to have all their bases covered.  Since this is an arms race for multi billion dollar stakes, the B1G and Fox really has to get something in Texas or Florida, imo.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...