USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

IU got a top knotch School of Global and International Studies.

“The $53 million building was funded entirely through university sources,” the release read, “with half of the funding coming from IU's Big Ten Network revenues, representing the largest-ever commitment from IU Athletics revenue to support the core academic mission of the university.”

Ah yes...McRobbie's ivory tower...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Looks like we are standing pat for a few years. 

https://brobible.com/sports/article/big-ten-conference-realignment-add-teams/

I think Barta is right about the ACC. $500 million dollars to leave as it stands.

But with the remnants of the Big 12/Pac12 talking, and a TV contract looming, I think we'll see more movement soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I think Barta is right about the ACC. $500 million dollars to leave as it stands.

But with the remnants of the Big 12/Pac12 talking, and a TV contract looming, I think we'll see more movement soon.

Looks to me like we will see more teams in P5 conferences?  

28 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Academically the Big Ten only fits with a few of these schools after ND

UNV

UVA

Stanford 

Oregon or UW?

The one thing that speaks to school chancellors and presidents is associating academically with Stanford. I can very easily see us partnering with them if we could convince ND to come along. Beyond purely $$ Stanford has a status unlike any other and honestly athletically they have a very prestigious history in a lot of sports beyond just football). You’d have California pretty wrapped up. Considering none of the ACC is breaking that conference and paying the penalty anytime soon I could see us sitting pat or simply wrapping up west coast with Oregon or Washington. I think Stanford will be one that might get done for other means then just financial.

The true arms race will come around 2030 or so…a few years before ACC contract comes up. It will be a bidding war between SEC and B1G to see who gets the top 4-5 teams. The rest will be left out in the cold like the west/sw conferences. Schools like Clemson, North Carolina, FSU, Virginia Tech, Louisville, and Miami will probably be plucked out and I could see some teams out west revisited (OSU, Arizona, Baylor, BYU)

If I was a commissioner my priority would be to get ND obviously…but beyond that Stanford and Oregon out west makes a ton of sense beyond just $$…both have great athletic departments and participate well in Olympic sports and well Stanford academics would be a crown jewel in the B1G crown (which don’t kid yourself is important to these presidents).

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Could not agree more….

in the end Big Ten Presidents will have a huge say in this 

there is ZERO chance a non AAU school is admitted to the Big Ten 

Notre Dame isn't an AAU member... You think the Big 10 wouldn't take them? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Could not agree more….

in the end Big Ten Presidents will have a huge say in this 

there is ZERO chance a non AAU school is admitted to the Big Ten 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Notre Dame isn't an AAU member... You think the Big 10 wouldn't take them? 

If it has to be an AAU school, I prefer the UC Irvine Anteaters. 

image.png.219e6f7223adabb54cae4ddd340be5df.png

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, rico said:

WTF is a banana slug?  French cuisine?

I don't exactly know. "Pulp Fiction" seared it into my brain...

P0.jpg.199e11d73ba7fbb8ca816e45289031be.jpg

The Wolf:
You guys look like... What do they look like, Jimmie?

Jimmie:
Dorks. They look like a couple of dorks.

Jules:
Ha-ha-ha. They're your clothes, ************.

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, rico said:

I guess if you call picking up the SEC/Big 10 leftovers an "enviable position" (which the author said in the column)...

Kinda conflicts with the Dodd quote he cited at the end...

"Dodd went on to report: “If the Big 12 expands, it wouldn’t necessarily be for money but rather survival and relevancy."

Which is kinda a strange quote anyway... Survival and relevancy isn't going to pay the bills. The Big 12 hasn't had its own network since 2014, and the Pac-12 network is a joke. I guess the league or a combination of the 2 leagues could stick with the Big 12 current model and rely on ESPN to broadcast 2nd rate football. But who's going to watch when the SEC and Big 10 flood the traditional networks and accompanying league networks with games? 

Edited by IUFLA

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I guess if you call picking up the SEC/Big 10 leftovers an "enviable position" (which the author said in the column)...

Kinda conflicts with the Dodd quote he cited at the end...

"Dodd went on to report: “If the Big 12 expands, it wouldn’t necessarily be for money but rather survival and relevancy."

Which is kinda a strange quote anyway... Survival and relevancy isn't going to pay the bills. The Big 12 hasn't had its own network since 2014, and the Pac-12 network is a joke. I guess the league or a combination of the 2 leagues could stick with the Big 12 current model and rely on ESPN to broadcast 2nd rate football. But who's going to watch when the SEC and Big 10 flood the traditional networks and accompanying league networks with games? 

Something tells me that the Big 12 may end up being the new AAC?

• Like 2

ACC GOR is nearly ironclad…..unless 8 or more schools fight it.  They can bleed out and fall behind til 2036 or make a move.  I think it happens eventually, they have no choice or they fall behind greatly.  Big 12 would be foolish to not finish off the PAC and take the four corner schools.  They need to be proactive.  Schools SEC wants are in ACC.  Big Ten wants Notre Dame, no secret there.  Lots of craziness going on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

ACC GOR is nearly ironclad…..unless 8 or more schools fight it.  They can bleed out and fall behind til 2036 or make a move.  I think it happens eventually, they have no choice or they fall behind greatly.  Big 12 would be foolish to not finish off the PAC and take the four corner schools.  They need to be proactive.  Schools SEC wants are in ACC.  Big Ten wants Notre Dame, no secret there.  Lots of craziness going on.

What 8 schools would look to void the GOR…because only the schools that could line up a contract with the B1G and SEC would benefit. The rest of the schools would get left out in the cold. I don’t see schools like Syracuse, BC, Duke, GT, Virginia, NC State, Pitt, WF doing it for sure…they won’t get picked up by another conference and would lose their current tv deal for something no doubt worse. It’s a no brainer for Clemson, FSU, Miami, North Carolina, and Louisville. Guess the rub will be in convincing the middle teams to come along….and if the SEC and B1G are willing to split their pie. I just don’t see it right now.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

What 8 schools would look to void the GOR…because only the schools that could line up a contract with the B1G and SEC would benefit. The rest of the schools would get left out in the cold. I don’t see schools like Syracuse, BC, Duke, GT, Virginia, NC State, Pitt, WF doing it for sure…they won’t get picked up by another conference and would lose their current tv deal for something no doubt worse. It’s a no brainer for Clemson, FSU, Miami, North Carolina, and Louisville. Guess the rub will be in convincing the middle teams to come along….and if the SEC and B1G are willing to split their pie. I just don’t see it right now.

The Big 12 could take on some ACC schools?