USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

1 minute ago, rico said:

What is the Big 12’s money deal at the moment?

They don’t have one that I’m aware of. They currently had a deal paying approximately 35 million (similar to ACC). But that was with Oklahoma and Texas who represented half the value of the contract…so with the new schools it’s hard to tell what they will garner. It’s why they now are scrambling to add some PAC 12 schools to help bring up the value.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

They don’t have one that I’m aware of. They currently had a deal paying approximately 35 million (similar to ACC). But that was with Oklahoma and Texas who represented half the value of the contract…so with the new schools it’s hard to tell what they will garner. It’s why they now are scrambling to add some PAC 12 schools to help bring up the value.

Yeah?  So they could add ACC schools as well.  

1 hour ago, rico said:

Yeah?  So they could add ACC schools as well.  

Those lesser schools won’t garner a bigger share to each school. If anything they will lower the payout to each school…so it hurts everyone. They are better off sticking out their 35 million per school share then go in together and only getting 25. Schools like Clemson and FSU and Miami etc will go to the SEC meaning the schools left won’t be worth crap. You don’t think IU could garner a tv deal on its own for 100 million….we are only worth that because it means getting Michigan and Ohio St. as part of that contract. If the B1G broke up we would get thrown in the bin just the same as Cal and Baylor and all these others schools had done to them.

I guess what I’m trying to say is those lower schools in the ACC won’t be worth 35 million a piece and will hurt the revenue share of everyone…and honestly I would be shocked if the Big12 can get 35 million a share now that Oklahoma and Texas are gone….so I don’t see a majority of ACC schools voting to jump ship for less money in the Big12.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

SEC hopes to stay at 16 teams

The realignment carousel could be coming to an end soon as sources tell Saturday Down South's Matt Hayes that the "preference" from SEC presidents is for the conference stay at 16 teams instead of entertaining expansion moves. Hayes reports that presidents would lean towards staying at 16 teams even if Notre Dame were to join the Big Ten. "The need just isn't there," an SEC athletic director told Hayes. If the SEC plans to stand pat, it could close the door on programs like Oregon, Clemson and Florida State getting into the high-money conferences -- and could be a lifeline for conferences like the Pac-12 and ACC to prevent major attrition. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rico said:

The realignment carousel could be coming to an end soon as sources tell Saturday Down South's Matt Hayes that the "preference" from SEC presidents is for the conference stay at 16 teams instead of entertaining expansion moves. Hayes reports that presidents would lean towards staying at 16 teams even if Notre Dame were to join the Big Ten. "The need just isn't there," an SEC athletic director told Hayes. If the SEC plans to stand pat, it could close the door on programs like Oregon, Clemson and Florida State getting into the high-money conferences -- and could be a lifeline for conferences like the Pac-12 and ACC to prevent major attrition. 

“The need just isn't there," an SEC athletic director told Hayes.

”and we already have to remove both shoes to count to 16”

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, rico said:

I really felt like this will be the case until the ACC is ready to renegotiate their tv deal. Also doesn’t help SEC a lot in poaching ACC teams because they are already in markets that the SEC has media rights in. Cable providers etc already are paying SEC for Florida market and S Carolina and Kentucky so how much more would they pay to get additional teams in those markets? On the other hand for the B1G to dip into the south and add some more markets like North Carolina, Virginia, and Florida for Fox….that might be worth it….down the road. 

Edited by dgambill

12 hours ago, dgambill said:

I really felt like this will be the case until the ACC is ready to renegotiate their tv deal. Also doesn’t help SEC a lot in poaching ACC teams because they are already in markets that the SEC has media rights in. Cable providers etc already are paying SEC for Florida market and S Carolina and Kentucky so how much more would they pay to get additional teams in those markets? On the other hand for the B1G to dip into the south and add some more markets like North Carolina, Virginia, and Florida for Fox….that might be worth it….down the road. 

Have you given any thought to the possibility that the SEC is more interested in the brand rather than the market?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, rico said:

Have you given any thought to the possibility that the SEC is more interested in the brand rather than the market?

The SEC will do what ESPN tells them.  They're not as worried about markets because ESPN promotes their product (SEC) nationally.  Seems like Fox Sports has slowly awoken to the need to function similarly.  I just don't believe they have the same control over the B1G.

5 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

The SEC will do what ESPN tells them.  They're not as worried about markets because ESPN promotes their product (SEC) nationally.  Seems like Fox Sports has slowly awoken to the need to function similarly.  I just don't believe they have the same control over the B1G.

Which is why I feel that the SEC "covets" Clemson, Florida St., Miami, and possibly Va Tech.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That will be the next shoe to drop. There is no way that the teams that drive all of the ratings will continue to allow their conferences to distribute tv revenues equally. If I'm AL, FL, GA, LSU, OK or TX, etc., why should I get the same as Vandy, MS ST, MO, etc. You will see proposals based on ratings or some other formula. What would Vandy, etc do? Leave? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

That will be the next shoe to drop. There is no way that the teams that drive all of the ratings will continue to allow their conferences to distribute tv revenues equally. If I'm AL, FL, GA, LSU, OK or TX, etc., why should I get the same as Vandy, MS ST, MO, etc. You will see proposals based on ratings or some other formula. What would Vandy, etc do? Leave? 

This is also why Notre Dame has held on to their independence for so long. Why would they share $$ that they bring in with the likes of IU, Northwestern, any other mediocre to bad program?

4 hours ago, rico said:

Yes…it’s a factor no doubt…but to me the thing driving this bus has been revenue$$ so until I see a team like Stanford or Oregon or OKST get gobbled up to me it’s still about $$. Those schools brands are well and above half the B1G and SEC schools currently in the league.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Possibly…at the very least they could base the payout on how teams finish in the conference. Teams like Kansas and Vanderbilt and IU would be forced to invest money into those programs instead of the rest of the school. That said since there are other sports involved it wouldn’t work. I suppose it’s an even split because it truely is very difficult to measure how many viewers each program is driving between streaming, multiple channels, and the scheduling involved. A team like Illinois might rarely ever get a prime time game scheduled so it’s almost a self fulfilling prophecy that their viewership is lower. Anyways eventually it might just get down to that….heck it might just end up being Alabama, Texas, ND, Mich, OK, OSU, LSU, Florida, GA and PSU setting up their own round Robin playing each other and no one else lol.

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I disagree to an extent; you'll never see a superconference of just those teams.  They need programs they can beat on a regular basis that aren't cupcakes but are basically assured wins.  Also, even the Alabama's and Ohio State's of the world only have so much leverage, and where are they going to go if they leave their own superconference?

The reality is that teams like Vanderbilt, IU, Purdue, etc have gotten lucky that they are in the two conferences driving the superconference wagon.  Teams like Wake Forest, Kansas, etc are going to have a rough go of it if this continues.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BruceDouglas said:

I saw either on this board or another that it would take 8 schools in the ACC to want out to be able to break the agreement that all the schools agreed to. If that were to happen, I've thought it would be humorous (to me) and appropriate if the former Big East schools drove the breakup of the ACC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BruceDouglas said:

Funny you posted this today. I woke up super early this morning and couldn't get back to sleep, so ended up re-watching the old 30-For-30 on the formation, rise and downfall of the old Big East. 

It's a fascinating story. I've mentioned this before, but interesting sidenote, Dave Gavitt was my Dad's assistant basketball coach when he was in high school. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

I disagree to an extent; you'll never see a superconference of just those teams.  They need programs they can beat on a regular basis that aren't cupcakes but are basically assured wins.  Also, even the Alabama's and Ohio State's of the world only have so much leverage, and where are they going to go if they leave their own superconference?

The reality is that teams like Vanderbilt, IU, Purdue, etc have gotten lucky that they are in the two conferences driving the superconference wagon.  Teams like Wake Forest, Kansas, etc are going to have a rough go of it if this continues.

Not suggesting that the big draws will form a conference of their own, just that they will demand a larger slice of the pie. The weaklings have no leverage to say no.