USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Newsom looks like Mr. Mackey from South Park. Purdue plays at Mackey arena. Somehow Newsom and Purdue are tangentially related because I said so, and they suck.

I would vote for Ozzie Newsome.  Gavin Newsom?  No.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

PAC/B12 alliance and or merger isn’t happening as talks were called off.  Sounds like the B12 will instead target the four corner schools (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and Arizona State).

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-pac-12-nix-talks-of-potential-merger-or-partnership-with-big-12-still-considering-all-options/

7 hours ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

PAC/B12 alliance and or merger isn’t happening as talks were called off.  Sounds like the B12 will instead target the four corner schools (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and Arizona State).

The B12 should just collapse if these are the teams they are targeting.  Arizona is the only powerhouse in that list.  They're all weak in football an with Zona being the only power in basketball.

12 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

The B12 should just collapse if these are the teams they are targeting.  Arizona is the only powerhouse in that list.  They're all weak in football an with Zona being the only power in basketball.

Those schools would all add more revenue then the last round of schools they added (minus BYU). Geographically it makes sense. Market wise it makes sense Denver/Phoenix and along with Colorado being a former member and Utah being a natural rival to BYU. I also wouldn’t say Utah is week in football. They won the PAC12 last year (id favorite them to win it again this year) and their division 3 out the last 4 years….(fyi this is the same division we took two lesser teams from) 60% winning percentage and over 70% bowl winning percentage. Have one of the best and longest tenured coaches in most of college football. I wish IU was that weak. I don’t think Oregon and Washington would come along (think they are still holding out for a B1G invite). It’s a logical fit. Strength in numbers and given the current tv deals that SEC and B1G are getting it is going to be hard to get prime time games so they may have to position themselves strategically.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Those schools would all add more revenue then the last round of schools they added (minus BYU). Geographically it makes sense. Market wise it makes sense Denver/Phoenix and along with Colorado being a former member and Utah being a natural rival to BYU. I also wouldn’t say Utah is week in football. They won the PAC12 last year (id favorite them to win it again this year) and their division 3 out the last 4 years….(fyi this is the same division we took two lesser teams from) 60% winning percentage and over 70% bowl winning percentage. Have one of the best and longest tenured coaches in most of college football. I wish IU was that weak. I don’t think Oregon and Washington would come along (think they are still holding out for a B1G invite). It’s a logical fit. Strength in numbers and given the current tv deals that SEC and B1G are getting it is going to be hard to get prime time games so they may have to position themselves strategically.

I expect the Pac 12 to look closely at San Diego St., Boise St., Fresno St., and UNLV.

On 7/24/2022 at 6:35 PM, Reacher said:

And they should. They rate higher…and getting into the FL tv market would be huge. They already are in California now with USC and UCLA. I think he has Duke and Kansas too high. North Carolina and FSU should be tops to add after ND.

• Like 1

I wonder if bringing in these 4 at a lower revenue share then current members will set up a precedence for current members in the future to take a lesser share. I’m not sure I see the value of adding Cal and Stanford unless they are taking a smaller share or it would lead to ND coming into the fold (which I think they will keep their independence).

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I wonder if bringing in these 4 at a lower revenue share then current members will set up a precedence for current members in the future to take a lesser share. I’m not sure I see the value of adding Cal and Stanford unless they are taking a smaller share or it would lead to ND coming into the fold (which I think they will keep their independence).

I am one that thinks the left coast teams will be a ratings bonanza for the B1G.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, rico said:

I am one that thinks the left coast teams will be a ratings bonanza for the B1G.

I don't see it because those teams doesn't get great attendance right now and don't see it getting better with them being in the Big Ten.  Also fans from California had to much else to occupy their time than watch a big ten game at noon on a Saturday if their team isn't playing.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't see it because those teams doesn't get great attendance right now and don't see it getting better with them being in the Big Ten.  Also fans from California had to much else to occupy their time than watch a big ten game at noon on a Saturday if their team isn't playing.

I'm coming up on 18 years here in LA and I have come across LOTS of 'traditional' Big Ten-region transplants. IU has a large and robust alumni network out here, as do U-M, OSU, Penn St. to name a few. There is a big appetite for BT football here, and I think the novelty of having our teams playing out here will generate substantial interest.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I bet ya traditional B1G fans will watch...

• Like 1

Out visiting family in CA, unfortunately the first week I spent in the hospital. But as I was picking up my bag to get discharged the other two guys in the room were talking sports. Wouldn’t you know it but the one guy from Mexico, said he was an IU fan. I didn’t get to talk with him about it much as I was on my way out but he said he didn’t attend IU he just likes them. I think the big will play in CA.

• Like 4

On 7/27/2022 at 4:39 PM, rico said:

No doubt the LA market has a huge alumni base for the B1G. Having prime time games all day long is huge. I honestly don’t care so much about Washington and Oregon….but IU vs USC…football sign me up…and IU vs UCLA basketball…yes please!

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 12:15 PM, rico said:

This us the 4 I've thought/said all along.  The most logical approach.  If you're going to expand West, do it right.  Makes no sense leaving UCLA and USC out there by themselves.  

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 2:15 PM, dgambill said:

I love the idea of Stanford joining, and if Cal comes along as Stanford's rival or to keep the California legislature happy, I'm fine with that.  

On the flip side, I have no appetite for Notre Dame's prima-donna antics.

• Like 2