USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

This us the 4 I've thought/said all along.  The most logical approach.  If you're going to expand West, do it right.  Makes no sense leaving UCLA and USC out there by themselves.  

One metric that I'm sure is being evaluated is if the addition of the "Next 4" brings in a market share from their respective regions (San Francisco, Seattle, Eugene/Oregon) that brings in value above the division of media rights money across 20 teams (vs 16).

Certainly from a logistics standpoint, having more West Coast teams allows for regional groupings, cutting down on overall travel costs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rico said:

I think ND is praying to Touchdown Jesus that NBC ponies up enough cash to keep independence status.

I've been wondering how close to the purported $100 million dollar per team figure being bandied about would NBC have to get...

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I've been wondering how close to the purported $100 million dollar per team figure being bandied about would NBC have to get...

I saw an article the other day saying that ND wants $75M/year to stay independent. Their current deal is $15M/year, I believe, so that would be a huge jump. I guess being able to give ND this kind of deal is dependent upon NBC being able to make deals with other conferences to have other games to pair with ND games.

I can't stand ND so I hope they don't get that deal and are forced to join a conference.

14 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I saw an article the other day saying that ND wants $75M/year to stay independent. Their current deal is $15M/year, I believe, so that would be a huge jump. I guess being able to give ND this kind of deal is dependent upon NBC being able to make deals with other conferences to have other games to pair with ND games.

I can't stand ND so I hope they don't get that deal and are forced to join a conference.

I am anti-ND as well. I did hear something last week on one of the national shows that for NBC to up the ante to ND, they want a tie-in with one of the other major networks. That is, they want a Fox/CBS or ESPN to show a major conference game as a lead-in to their ND broadcasts. to me that just is another aspect of the arrogance surrounding that program.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I am anti-ND as well. I did hear something last week on one of the national shows that for NBC to up the ante to ND, they want a tie-in with one of the other major networks. That is, they want a Fox/CBS or ESPN to show a major conference game as a lead-in to their ND broadcasts. to me that just is another aspect of the arrogance surrounding that program.

I thought NBC wanted the lead-in game to be on NBC but since it's ND I didn't read that closely. Thanks for the correction.

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

It seems to me that NBC is the one in a predicament. The major conferences already have programming affiliations. ND has been NBC’s only college football presence. If they don’t pony up they’ll be stuck broadcasting English soccer on Saturday afternoon? Just my take on things?

You ever wonder if a university president ever says we are not a football minor league for the nfl ?

Purdue & IU have billions of dollars in value to the state….and it ain’t college football 

PS. President would be run out of town on the Monon Rail…if he went D2 or deemphasized athletics 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not so sure about your take:

https://www.si.com/college/2022/06/09/big-ten-football-media-rights-fox-cbs-nbc

Under Armour terminates the $280 million, 15-year contract with UCLA, which was signed in 2016.

The company said: “Under Armour has recently made the difficult decision to discontinue our partnership with UCLA, as we have been paying for marketing benefits that we have not received for an extended time period. The agreement allows us to terminate in such an event and we are exercising that right."

The deal ranks as the highest price shoe and apparel sponsorship in college sports history.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/under-armour-wants-280-million-193223425.html

1 hour ago, Madison22 said:

Under Armour terminates the $280 million, 15-year contract with UCLA, which was signed in 2016.

The company said: “Under Armour has recently made the difficult decision to discontinue our partnership with UCLA, as we have been paying for marketing benefits that we have not received for an extended time period. The agreement allows us to terminate in such an event and we are exercising that right."

The deal ranks as the highest price shoe and apparel sponsorship in college sports history.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/under-armour-wants-280-million-193223425.html

They settled. UA paid UCLA $67.5M to terminate the deal.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/under-armour-lawsuit-ucla-675m-settlement/snzvz8nnyecu89pbf2tdbpip

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Some interesting numbers... No way IL is that high. 

https://bamahammer.com/2022/07/30/data-understanding-college-football-realignment/

Yeah, there's a whole lot of weird there. If you click the link to the actual data, it has a bunch that don't make sense, like Duke as #11?

https://www.al.com/news/2022/07/theres-1-college-football-team-more-popular-than-the-crimson-tide-heres-who-it-is.html

42 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

With Fox CBS and NBC affiliates basically getting all the Big Ten games now… Curious if Big Ten is ready to pounce for a couple more teams. 

I'm glad we left ESPN twist in the wind. Only though now is regarding hoops you have to believe the Big 10/ACC tourney might be on hold or done with in coming years.

23 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm glad we left ESPN twist in the wind. Only though now is regarding hoops you have to believe the Big 10/ACC tourney might be on hold or done with in coming years.

Not necessarily. They could do it with the ACC home games on ESPN, and the big 10 home games on whatever channel they pick. Wether it be Fox/FS1 adequate coverage of hoops or BTN coverage of it.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUskim said:

Not necessarily. They could do it with the ACC home games on ESPN, and the big 10 home games on whatever channel they pick. Wether it be Fox/FS1 adequate coverage of hoops or BTN coverage of it.   

Time will tell for sure. The egos in Bristol are pretty big. I could see it ending. Going to be really weird to hear the CBS intro music for the 330 game and it not being SEC Football but Big 10. Weird times. 

• Like 1