USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Why do you think Rutgers was asked to join the Big 10?

I know they were asked for the New York market.  I just don't think that market is necessarily loyal to college teams.  You would get on TV in New York because you have the biggest programs in the country.  Hell, Notre Dame would probably get you on in New York.

As somewhat of a counterpoint to myself, I submit this (although I think our numbers are driven by who we play).

• Like 2

I know a couple people who went to Rutgers.  Literally no Rutgers alum or anyone in NJ for that matter cares about college sports at all.  It's just not a thing.  People go there to drink and party.  They don't watch probably because they never won anything.   No idea what they add to the B1G.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I know a couple people who went to Rutgers.  Literally no Rutgers alum or anyone in NJ for that matter cares about college sports at all.  It's just not a thing.  People go there to drink and party.  They don't watch probably because they never won anything.   No idea what they add to the B1G.

It doesn't happen overnight...

Look at The RAC the last couple of years...those kids are into it...Tough place to play...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It doesn't happen overnight...

Look at The RAC the last couple of years...those kids are into it...Tough place to play...

Related to this and the $100 million figure up above, Indiana has to plow the majority/all of the additional income into football for several years.

You hope your NIL partners keep the basketball competitive.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I know they were asked for the New York market.  I just don't think that market is necessarily loyal to college teams.  You would get on TV in New York because you have the biggest programs in the country.  Hell, Notre Dame would probably get you on in New York.

As somewhat of a counterpoint to myself, I submit this (although I think our numbers are driven by who we play).

Like I said, it takes time...

That list tells me one thing...IU profits from the overall fanbase mainly because of our basketball legacy...As does Kentucky...

Sure, it may be the opponent sometimes, but we can only play OSU and Michigan once a year...

And I'll be the first to admit, that if IU is playing Rutgers or any other Big 10 school, I feel compelled to watch them over an SEC game (even when I lived in Florida, and now down here in Texas) because I'm an IU fan...I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way...

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Why do you think Rutgers was asked to join the Big 10?

Last available spot in superconference comes down to IU and Rutgers.  Who gets it?

Indiana loses a lot of tiebreakers to our football peers.  The State, and thus the media markets are covered with Notre Dame.

Illinois gets in ahead of us due to no other school representing one of the most populous states in the country.

Baltimore/DC media market dwarfs the Indy media market.  Advantage Maryland.  

UNC is both better at football and in a more populous state.

All I can say is IU needs to be a 'more attractive' option than Purdue when the final invitations to the ball are sent or there is no hope.

• Like 1

I see some places giving the B1G credit for this which seems odd given that it was initiated by USC and UCLA. 

I do think there will more schools. Stanford and Cal make sense. Next I'd like AZ and TX A&M. Not sure if we would need partners for those schools. Population is moving to the South. 

3 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I see some places giving the B1G credit for this which seems odd given that it was initiated by USC and UCLA. 

I do think there will more schools. Stanford and Cal make sense. Next I'd like AZ and TX A&M. Not sure if we would need partners for those schools. Population is moving to the South. 

Oregon, Washington, Notre Dame, and a pick me.  Maybe try and coax UVA to break the ACC (which I think Clemson, FSU, and/or Miami are likely to do anyway).

Edit to add:  Georgia Tech isn't a terrible idea for a shot ar getting games on in the Atlanta market.

Edited by IUCrazy2

3 minutes ago, Reacher said:

In Texas, they're all coming from California...It's like "The Beverly Hillbillies" in reverse...

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Drinking and partying.

A lot of people in my day went to IU for that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Last available spot in superconference comes down to IU and Rutgers.  Who gets it?

Indiana loses a lot of tiebreakers to our football peers.  The State, and thus the media markets are covered with Notre Dame.

Illinois gets in ahead of us due to no other school representing one of the most populous states in the country.

All I can say is IU needs to be a 'more attractive' option than Purdue when the final invitations to the ball are sent or there is no hope.

One possibly overlooked, but certainly substantial, positive for IU is our alumni base. Nationwide, only Penn State has a larger one. While our football program isn't as strong as we like, IU is still a major brand that carries weight across the country.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Their football program is poop too. They'd never be considered over us. 

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

You hope they give a 🦉 about academics 😂 and billions in research grants