NCAA Tournament

Watching the Field of 68 podcast and they are talking about realignment and how if cod effect college basketball.  Jeff Goodman said he talked to a few people and they said that in a meeting with Sankey the commissioner that he wants to change the tournament.  He wants to have just the top 8 or do conferences be eligible for the tournament.  Talked about trying to make the requirements to be in D1 to be so hard that it will eliminate a lot of the smaller schools.

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Watching the Field of 68 podcast and they are talking about realignment and how if could effect college basketball.  Jeff Goodman said he talked to a few people and they said that in a meeting with Sankey the commissioner that he wants to change the tournament.  He wants to have just the top 8 or do conferences be eligible for the tournament.  Talked about trying to make the requirements to be in D1 to be so hard that it will eliminate a lot of the smaller schools.

Now on the podcast they are interviewing Gabe Cupp and the Reed kid that is going to UK.  They are at the AAU tournament in SC and this interview is pretty good.

Edited by IU Scott

Just now, 5fouls said:

The NCAA tournament is the purest thing in sports.  For anyone to want to systematically change the way it is structured is a new level of cluelessness built on unabated greed.

They talked about how the power conferences don't want to share the money with the smaller teams that don't bring in much money.

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They talked about how the power conferences don't want to share the money with the smaller teams that don't bring in much money.

Without the smaller teams, the tournament will lose its magic and the money will start to dry up.  Any fool can figure that out.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Without the smaller teams, the tournament will lose its magic and the money will start to dry up.  Any fool can figure that out.  

Totally agree with you but when has these schools ever thought what is best for the sport itself.  If they cared about the actual product on the court they wouldn't have all of these expansion of conferences.

If they change the tournament that might be the mail in the coffin for me when it comes to college sports.  I like college football but I am basketball first kind of fan so if they change it I will be pissed.  They can do what they want with football but not the other sports.

As much as I love college basketball in general, and the tournament in particular, I think we are fooling ourselves to think that basketball has any leverage in the restructuring narrative. The amount of dollars basketball brings is minuscule as compared to what football does, and is projected to bring each school. Not even close.

I was listening to the B1G network on Sirius yesterday and they were talking about the potential of two separate entities, one governing football and the other basketball.  As the needs of each sport are different and the makeup of their members also somewhat different, it might make sense to do this.

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

As much as I love college basketball in general, and the tournament in particular, I think we are fooling ourselves to think that basketball has any leverage in the restructuring narrative. The amount of dollars basketball brings is minuscule as compared to what football does, and is projected to bring each school. Not even close.

I was listening to the B1G network on Sirius yesterday and they were talking about the potential of two separate entities, one governing football and the other basketball.  As the needs of each sport are different and the makeup of their members also somewhat different, it might make sense to do this.

Like I said I am more of a basketball fan and care about what happens to college basketball more than football.  Let football have its own league but leave the rest of the sports alone 

4 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

. The amount of dollars basketball brings is minuscule as compared to what football does, and is projected to bring each school. Not even close.

That's not true.  You ruin the men's basketball tournament and the money could just dry up a bit.  And, I personally think the tournament needs it's opening weekend of David vs, Goliath and the occasional Loyola type run.  

https://en.as.com/en/2022/03/17/other_sports/1647510236_306039.html

image.png.0bbb9ed0c7066d992093bfab39d28987.png

image.png

Edited by 5fouls

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

That's not true.  You ruin the men's basketball tournament and the money could just dry up a bit.  And, I personally think the tournament needs it's opening weekend of David vs, Goliath and the occasional Loyola type run.  

image.png

Football brings in 4x what basketball does.

17 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I am on my phone and it won’t paste. Basketball = 8 million per school . Football = almost 32 million per school 

Here is the link to the article you want to paste.

https://finance.zacks.com/much-money-college-sports-generate-10346.html

That said, here is a direct quote from that article. It's semantics.  But, the bottom line is that the NCAA tournament is the largest source of NCAA revenue.  It helps fund minor sports at colleges that don't have a football program.  

image.png.215984a9bca6415fc03cfec27dfd9793.png

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Here is the link to the article you want to paste.

https://finance.zacks.com/much-money-college-sports-generate-10346.html

That said, here is a direct quote from that article. It's semantics.  But, the bottom line is that the NCAA tournament is the largest source of NCAA revenue.  It helps fund minor sports at colleges that don't have a football program.  

image.png.215984a9bca6415fc03cfec27dfd9793.png

So there’s the rub. For schools that don’t have football—Big East for example, basketball is their saving Grace. Do we want to be lumped in with the Georgetown, St. John’s and Villanovas of the landscape?

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So there’s the rub. For schools that don’t have football—Big East for example, basketball is their saving Grace. Do we want to be lumped in with the Georgetown, St. John’s and Villanovas of the landscape?

My point is, football's claim at being the be all to end all of revenue is bogus.  Without the enormous revenue generated by the NCAA tournament, Ohio State and Alabama stand to lose a lot of money for secondary sports just like Georgetown and Villanova would.   I don't care how successful your football program is, without the Tournament money, schools will feel it. 

The mistake these schools are making is assuming people will watch a NCAA tournament headlined by Clemson and LSU instead of one featuring Duke, Kansas, and Villanova, or Cinderella's like Loyola and St. Peters.  Guess what.  They won't.  

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

My point is, football's claim at being the be all to end all of revenue is bogus.  Without the enormous revenue generated by the NCAA tournament, Ohio State and Alabama stand to lose a lot of money for secondary sports just like Georgetown and Villanova would.   I don't care how successful your football program is, without the Tournament money, schools will feel it. 

The mistake these schools are making is assuming people will watch a NCAA tournament headlined by Clemson and LSU instead of one featuring Duke, Kansas, and Villanova, or Cinderella's like Loyola and St. Peters.  Guess what.  They won't.  

Let’s have a football playoff with Arizona, Duke, Kansas, and IU.

Do you think that the powers that be would buy into that?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Let’s have a football playoff with Arizona, Duke, Kansas, and IU.

Do you think that the powers that be would buy into that?

No.  And that has no chance of happening, regardless of structure.  But, if there ends up seeing a super-conference breakaway, we are headed towards a Clemson, LSU, Penn State, Alabama basketball Final Four.

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

No.  And that has no chance of happening, regardless of structure.  But, if there ends up seeing a super-conference breakaway, we are headed towards a Clemson, LSU, Penn State, Alabama basketball Final Four.

No… maybe that for football. Basketball will be relegated. We may make it to the top 48 of the football powers due to our alumni numbers, but our basketball program won’t play into that decision 

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

image.png

How about St. Peters this year

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If they change the tournament that might be the mail in the coffin for me when it comes to college sports.  

Junk mail will follow me straight to hell! 🪦🔥 

PS. I might be THE worst speller ever!

Edited by Purdue7