2023 DeShawn Harris-Smith Offered

Hoosiers extended an offer to 2023 DeShawn Harris-Smith yesterday. He is a 6’5” wing out of the basketball factory that is Paul VI High School outside of Washington, DC, and he plays with Team Takeover on the Nike EYBL circuit during the spring/summer.

A 4-star recruit according to virtually all recruiting services, he has received offers from the likes of Villanova, LSU, Texas Tech, Georgetown, St. John’s, Xavier, Virginia Tech, and Rutgers, among others.

Here's the full breakdown of his game: Player Evaluation.

• Thanks 7

12 hours ago, PointGuardEyes said:

Hoosiers extended an offer to 2023 DeShawn Harris-Smith yesterday. He is a 6’5” wing out of the basketball factory that is Paul VI High School outside of Washington, DC, and he plays with Team Takeover on the Nike EYBL circuit during the spring/summer.

A 4-star recruit according to virtually all recruiting services, he has received offers from the likes of Villanova, LSU, Texas Tech, Georgetown, St. John’s, Xavier, Virginia Tech, and Rutgers, among others.

Here's the full breakdown of his game: Player Evaluation.

That is quite the player evaluation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A strong physical slasher, who can't shoot threes (24%).

For me, if a player can't shoot from the outside, he's not a guard.

I understand the value of such a player.  Especially for defense. 

But I'd really like to sign kids who shoot 45% from three, since it's such an area of need for us.  We've been at or near the bottom of Big Ten shooting for 5 years in a row.

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Madison22 said:

But I'd really like to sign kids who shoot 45% from three, since it's such an area of need for us.  We've been at or near the bottom of Big Ten shooting for 5 years in a row.

No more guards that shoot in the 20's from 3, no, no, no.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Coaching staff 4 deep for this kid this morning according to Rabby. I'd say he's a priority for 23. My only thing is this. Kupps, Newton....the guys with eligibility who will likely be returning....seems like we would be maybe prioritizing bigs in case we are out of the Xavier sweepstakes.

Of course the opposite could be said. We feel very comfortable on X that's why they are adding another wing. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Coaching staff 4 deep for this kid this morning according to Rabby. I'd say he's a priority for 23. My only thing is this. Kupps, Newton....the guys with eligibility who will likely be returning....seems like we would be maybe prioritizing bigs in case we are out of the Xavier sweepstakes.

Of course the opposite could be said. We feel very comfortable on X that's why they are adding another wing. 

I think you are correct. Could be looking to get a commit at or shortly after his upcoming visit. 

• Like 3

On 7/11/2022 at 12:39 PM, Madison22 said:

Sounds like another IU recruit from Paul VI, Stanford Robinson. (although Robinson transferred to Findlay Prep)

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 12:17 AM, Lurker said:

Sounds like another IU recruit from Paul VI, Stanford Robinson. (although Robinson transferred to Findlay Prep)

Looks much better than Stanford Robinson to me. It helped watching the video embedded in this profile: https://www.insidethehall.com/recruit-profile-deshawn-harris-smith/

And reading this evaluation: https://www.pointguardeyes.com/deshawn-harris-smith

Edited by DougWil
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DougWil said:

Looks much better than Stanford Robinson to me. It helped watching the video embedded in this review: https://www.insidethehall.com/recruit-profile-deshawn-harris-smith/

And reading this evaluation: https://www.pointguardeyes.com/deshawn-harris-smith

I like the evaluations from @PointGuardEyes. Hope he does all our commits.

• Like 7