2023 DeShawn Harris-Smith Offered

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Want both to say yes asap 🙂

Seem like really good additions for sure! Just seems like it's getting crowded at the guard/wing,etc....whatever people want to call position less positions these days. We'll call it the 6'5 and under part of the lineup. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Seem like really good additions for sure! Just seems like it's getting crowded at the guard/wing,etc....whatever people want to call position less positions these days. We'll call it the 6'5 and under part of the lineup. 

Us going after another guard (harris-smith) tells me JHS is prob doing really well. If we lost x and jhs were in need of another guard

Edited by Andrew
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Chris at btownbanners is saying DHS is staying close to home…likely either Maryland or Nova.  For whatever that is worth.

Don’t get me wrong…love his defense and his physicality but I’m really not going to lose sleep if we miss on him. There are tons of upperclassman in the portal every year that can give us B1G ready body and defense. Maybe it is just Im exhausted watching us suffer from lack of shooting but I’d prefer to prioritize kids that can knock down shots. I know it’s about building a well rounded roster but until I see us out 5 kids on the floor at once that are a threat to shoot I will error on the side of shooters vs anything else until that happens…then we can start rounding out the other parts of the roster lol.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

From his talking about each program, I'd say that Maryland is the favored program. That agrees with what @PointGuardEyes said in the Kaiser thread. IU might not even be #2.

Yea, the way these things swing is pretty wild. One day there is no question you’re getting everyone. Next day nobody is coming and you’re burying your puppy. The world of recruiting. 🤓

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

https://247sports.com/Article/Basketball-recruiting-Deshawn-Harris-Smith-Penn-State-Maryland-Villanova-Indiana-Xavier-191822596/

New quotes seem to reaffirm that it's Maryland. He talks as though he's already a part of that team. I still think Xavier is his second choice.

I haven't thought much of this one since I heard the immediate playing time quote a couple weeks back. We can't offer that for him. 

• Like 1

More Maryland talk.

I know we can't get them all.  No one can. 

But I hope after every miss, no matter the reason, the IU staff discusses the player's recruitment, to see how they can continue to improve. 

It is not "just a numbers game" even though that phrase is used a lot.  Recruiting is a skill, and can be analyzed just like any other skill.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/2023-guard-deshawn-harris-smith-trending-away-from-indiana/

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

More Maryland talk.

But I hope after every miss, no matter the reason, the IU staff discusses the player's recruitment, to see how they can continue to improve. 

It is not "just a numbers game" even though that phrase is used a lot.  Recruiting is a skill, and can be analyzed just like any other skill.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/2023-guard-deshawn-harris-smith-trending-away-from-indiana/

I think he see's the competition for backcourt minutes next year and doesn't think he'd have the "opportunity to play" he mentioned in the 247 article...

Tamar, JHS, Galloway, Leal, Gunn, not to mention Cupps and Newton... Simply too much competition for playing time... 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

More Maryland talk.

Totally agree.

While its always great to do self-analysis semi-regularly, it will be extra beneficial to see where we are after a top 10, conference championship-contending season.

1 hour ago, Madison22 said:

More Maryland talk.

I wonder if there's a system in place to go back to these recruits after they make their choice and ask "What could have we done better?"  If you could get recruits to answer that honestly, that would be tremendously valuable intelligence.  Done the right way ("We're not mad at you and wish you the best...we just want to know what recruits are looking for in a school to better serve them in the future.")

That could potentially be valuable for future portal players that had been previously recruited.

12 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I wonder if there's a system in place to go back to these recruits after they make their choice and ask "What could have we done better?"  If you could get recruits to answer that honestly, that would be tremendously valuable intelligence.  Done the right way ("We're not mad at you and wish you the best...we just want to know what recruits are looking for in a school to better serve them in the future.")

That could potentially be valuable for future portal players that had been previously recruited.

I would assume some version of this conversation occurs (at least it should) when a recruit tells a coach they're not coming before their announcement. I know some recruits supposedly don't tell any coaches prior to the announcement but you would hope most kids have a conversation with a staff that recruited them 

21 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

"You needed to offer me more."    😋

• Haha 1