Greenwood Mall Shooting

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

3 dead, 4 if you count the shooter.  Even though we live in the far south of the state, my wife and daughter still like to go shopping up there a couple of times a year.  

What is wrong with the world?

I just posted this in the other sad thread, but it does deserve its own, being so close to home.

Good Samaritan took the shooter out... 

Edited by IUFLA

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I just posted this in the other sad thread, but it does deserve its own, being so close to home.

Good Samaritan took the shooter out... 

Information is still limited, but it sounds as if the Good Samaritan may have prevented a much larger tragedy.  Sounds as if the gunman had a good-sized arsenal.   

• Like 2

What's wrong indeed. I've lived within 25 miles of Indianapolis my entire life. Spent 10 years living just south of Butler University during the '70's. I've been to every mall multiple times over the years and loved the city. Not anymore. There's a mentality that I can't wrap my head around. I don't know what it will take to restore some sanity to our society, but we need to figure it out really soon. I am terrified for my grandkids and the world they will inherit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Information is still limited, but it sounds as if the Good Samaritan may have prevented a much larger tragedy.  Sounds as if the gunman had a good-sized arsenal.   

So far, "long rifle" and several magazines were found. 

And I agree...The Good Samaritan probably did prevent more deaths. 

Edited by IUFLA

were at Guitar Center across from the Mall about 30 min prior to the incident.  Very sad, tragic and scary. My daughter lives on County line about quarter of a Mile From the Mall. One of her close friends was in the mall at the time. Way to close to home I just can't imagine what any of the people in the mall experienced. The lawfully carrying citizen is a hero for sure. 

• Like 4

So here's an interesting one...

Texas passed a constitutional carry law last year. You no longer have to have a permit to carry either concealed, or openly...

BUT, businesses can post a sign that states that firearms are prohibited all together (if you garner 51% of your sales from alcohol that's mandatory) or restricted to those who have a permit (which you can still get with a background check, a written test, and a competency test performed in front of a certified instructor).

Both of the malls we frequent prohibit firearms all together.

I wonder if they'll reconsider... 

Edited by IUFLA

10 hours ago, cthomas said:

What's wrong indeed. I've lived within 25 miles of Indianapolis my entire life. Spent 10 years living just south of Butler University during the '70's. I've been to every mall multiple times over the years and loved the city. Not anymore. There's a mentality that I can't wrap my head around. I don't know what it will take to restore some sanity to our society, but we need to figure it out really soon. I am terrified for my grandkids and the world they will inherit.

I really can’t wrap my head around it either. It keeps happening over and over again. It’s like these young men feel/realize that they have no future, they are pissed off, and just decide to go off. They’ve seen the attention it gets. 

25 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

were at Guitar Center across from the Mall about 30 min prior to the incident.  Very sad, tragic and scary. My daughter lives on County line about quarter of a Mile From the Mall. One of her close friends was in the mall at the time. Way to close to home I just can't imagine what any of the people in the mall experienced. The lawfully carrying citizen is a hero for sure. 

Yikes, that’s VERY close to home. Glad you all were cleared out of there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I really can’t wrap my head around it either. It keeps happening over and over again. It’s like these young men feel/realize that they have no future, they are pissed off, and just decide to go off. They’ve seen the attention it gets. 

Yikes, that’s VERY close to home. Glad you all were cleared out of there. 

We decided to go bowling after guitar center instead of going to the mall for new school shoes. You just never know. So so scary

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Texas passed a constitutional carry law last year. You no longer have to have a permit to carry either concealed, or openly...

BUT, businesses can post a sign that states that firearms are prohibited all together (if you garner 51% of your sales from alcohol that's mandatory) or restricted to those who have a permit (which you can still get with a background check, a written test, and a competency test performed in front of a certified instructor).

Knowing the rules of the board, the purpose of this post was to?

One could not possible reply without getting into a political derailment. 

9 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

It’s like these young men feel/realize that they have no future,

How do we cure that though? There are ample opportunities out there. You just have to take advantage of them.

Or have we devalued true achievement to the point that kids just expect it to happen?

I do think it all starts with parenting. 

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

Knowing the rules of the board, the purpose of this post was to?

One could not possible reply without getting into a political derailment. 

Not really. The law as passed in Texas is the law. People need to respect that.

My point was more toward the businesses decisions and the possible repercussions.

It doesn't have to be political at all. I know your position on all of this and I respect it. Please afford me the same courtesy. If you want to make it political, take it to PM. That's what you and I have done before... 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The Greenwood Mall has signs up that prohibit firearms.  I don't see the Good Samaritin in this case getting charged.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not really. The law as passed in Texas is the law. People need to respect that.

My point was more toward the businesses decisions and the possible repercussions.

It doesn't have to be political at all. I know your position on all of this and I respect it. Please afford me the same courtesy. If you want to make it political, take it to PM. That's what you and I have done before... 

…….okay

54 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I have been to that mall quite a bit. My oldest sister lives on Lilac Drive just north of county line and that is where I stay when I visit. Praying for those who were affected and am so grateful for the citizen who stopped the shooting. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The Greenwood Mall has signs up that prohibit firearms.  I don't see the Good Samaritin in this case getting charged.

Not sure if accurate or a formality , I would think a formality but I had heard he was taken out in cuffs. Not sure if true or not but I think you have to cover all bases and sort it out later. No doubt he saved several lives. I pray for him no matter how justified taking another human life will haunt most people.

• Like 1

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

Not sure if accurate or a formality , I would think a formality but I had heard he was taken out in cuffs. Not sure if true or not but I think you have to cover all bases and sort it out later. No doubt he saved several lives. I pray for him no matter how justified taking another human life will haunt most people.

Well, he's already had the Mayor, the police, and a U. S. Senator publicly thank him for his actions.  I dont see the county pushing for prosecution for this one.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Well, he's already had the Mayor, the police, and a U. S. Senator publicly thank him for his actions.  I dont see the county pushing for prosecution for this one.

That's not going to happen for sure. I just meant the taking him out in cuffs if that happened just had to be a situation to be sure he was not involved in any other way. 

I was thinking last night just how bad this could have been. Our family loves doing things together,  concerts, amusement parks ball games. Every time my wife is a stress mess just worrying about things like this. I won't allow it to do that to me but I do always make sure I am aware of my surroundings.  Sad state of affairs for sure

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

That's not going to happen for sure. I just meant the taking him out in cuffs if that happened just had to be a situation to be sure he was not involved in any other way. 

I was thinking last night just how bad this could have been. Our family loves doing things together,  concerts, amusement parks ball games. Every time my wife is a stress mess just worrying about things like this. I won't allow it to do that to me but I do always make sure I am aware of my surroundings.  Sad state of affairs for sure

I'm not getting into all the parts of the shooting, guns, gun ownership, nationwide violence,etc....but to your point about attending heavily attended events. Concert, ballgames....whatever it is. We've decided (after Highland Park) wherever we go in the back of our minds we take 15 seconds and know an escape route or routes.

Sounds stupid I know but it's our world.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm not getting into all the parts of the shooting, guns, gun ownership, nationwide violence,etc....but to your point about attending heavily attended events. Concert, ballgames....whatever it is. We've decided (after Highland Park) wherever we go in the back of our minds we take 15 seconds and know an escape route or routes.

Sounds stupid I know but it's our world.

Nothing stupid about that. We  go over directions with Ayden on what to do where to go and potential meeting place if something happened and we get separated. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I'd like to know if people are choosing their targets (movie theaters, malls, etc) based upon the fact that they are gun free and therefore less likely to run across "good guys"?

• Like 1