Greenwood Mall Shooting

1 hour ago, JW75 said:

Saw an interview with authorities last night on one of the news stations.  Officer said the girlfriend saw the suspect coming out of bathroom with weapon and the boyfriend was able to get behind a column/post in mall and steady his aim.  Even with a good rest, 40 yds with a handgun is very impressive especially under the circumstances. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm not a gun guy and have never shot one but when I first read that I was thinking that has to be really good given the kid has zero police/military training. 40 yards under those circumstances? 

I go to the gun range twice a week, and was trained in the military, and I can tell you with no uncertainty how hard that shot would have been.

The furthest I put my target out on the range is 25 yards, and while I usually keep them all within the silhouette, they're spread out a bit. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm not a gun guy and have never shot one but when I first read that I was thinking that has to be really good given the kid has zero police/military training. 40 yards under those circumstances? 

There are private citizens who shoot better than the police. In Chicago, for example, some police officers rarely go to the range because it is too far away, they don't have the time, etc.  My brother, who was never in the police or military, goes to the range 3-4 times per month to practice and has for several years now. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I go to the gun range twice a week, and was trained in the military, and I can tell you with no uncertainty how hard that shot would have been.

The furthest I put my target out on the range is 25 yards, and while I usually keep them all within the silhouette, they're spread out a bit. 

My Grandfather was a Marine Drill Sgt is what I think you call him. They lived in Carmel (where St. Vincents now is) but it used to be a wide open farm ground back in the 70's....anyway he hates cats. There was a cat about 3-400 yards away and he got his rifle and shot at it. Me being a kid I said why would you kill the cat. He replied...just nicked his tail. He'll be fine but don't want him around here. Haha. That was my first introduction to expert shots.

Back to the Greenwood deal.....40 yards and to do that accuracy is just incredible to me. Given the adrenaline and everything else.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Quick update to the story. Greenwood police said he misspoke. It didn't take 2 minutes for the guy to shoot gunman....it took 15 seconds. 10 shots 9 hits is what is being reported. 

Just coming to post this, though I saw 8 hits in 10 shots.  They have confirmed none of the shots were self inflicted.  Wow is all I can say if he was as far away as being reported.  There has been a lot of misinformation, so i wonder if he was closer than initially thought.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Quick update to the story. Greenwood police said he misspoke. It didn't take 2 minutes for the guy to shoot gunman....it took 15 seconds. 10 shots 9 hits is what is being reported. 

Dayyym! 
The only stupid thing this dude did was allowing them to release his name.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 9:34 PM, 5fouls said:

What's so appealing to these shooters to be copycats.  They're not making a statement.  They are simply copying something that's been done over and over again.  

Someone at work made an interesting point about a similar question.

He thinks they are so angry at the world/their situation/whoever and its easier to take it out on strangers than the people close to them. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

He'll be just fine. If I know the world we've created...there will be opportunities galore from someone. 

Agreed, the dude that stopped this guy is a hero. Full stop. I’m about as anti-gun as they come, but that guy surely saved some lives. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I've always been a proponent of the all volunteer force, but I do think more varieties of public service would be nice.

I will say this (and this is no excuse for the shooters) but 18-20 years old was one of the most confusing and frustrating times of my life. I really didn't have any idea what I wanted to do... Thank God for the USAF.

I actually wanted to go in as a computer programmer, but I would have had to wait a year on delayed enlistment. I wasn't going to do that, so I asked the recruiter to bring up some jobs on his computer where I could make some money after I did my 4 years (that turned into 20 🙂) and air traffic control (alphabetically) was listed 1st... Fate took a hand... 

I wouldn't want a military of conscripts these days. 

But having had to do community service in the past, having 6-12 months of required community service type work could be beneficial.  And public land and city streets would be cleaner. 

38 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

He'll be just fine. If I know the world we've created...there will be opportunities galore from someone. 

Well of course he will be fine. Who’d eff with him now anyway? Lol

I just meant that life may be easier not in the spot light. But yea, huge opportunities await. He should have already signed a book deal by now. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

We are in the same boat there. I have not shot a gun in 30 years. I don't know enoght to feel safe with having one in the house

Yep, don’t own one and don’t want to. I grew up shooting guns. A lot of guns. Took classes at the Boys Club and Lion’s Club. Shot with my Dad on the weekends. Also got more training in boot camp. That was the last time I’ve held a gun.

Don’t care to ever use one again. And I don’t think people should be carrying them around to go to the mall. But good thing that dude was there for sure. 

God only knows how badly the police would have muffed the situation.

• Like 2

I've carried in the malls in Indy when I used to go up there. Noone will know unless you want it to be known. In indiana the worst they can do is charge you with trespassing. But they will ask you to leave first. All you have to do is comply. 

I will continue to ignore the signs.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I wouldn't want a military of conscripts these days. 

But having had to do community service in the past, having 6-12 months of required community service type work could be beneficial.  And public land and city streets would be cleaner. 

This is something I often wonder about. What happens if you take a bunch of direction-less kids and make them do basic clean up stuff to to keep them busy. 

When we went to Mexico City a few years ago, there were so many youngish homeless-looking young people working on the streets. Mostly sweeping, landscaping, and trash removal, but damn that city was clean! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

This is something I often wonder about. What happens if you take a bunch of direction-less kids and make them do basic clean up stuff to to keep them busy. 

When we went to Mexico City a few years ago, there were so many youngish homeless-looking young people working on the streets. Mostly sweeping, landscaping, and trash removal, but damn that city was clean! 

Among other things like structure, it provides a task with an achievable goal and you can see the results!

Or work in a homeless shelter and get some exposure to how crappy the world can really be. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I think they must have meant 40 FT. 

I get 6 inch groups at 25yrds with my 1911. 

I'm accurate at 15 yards or less with my carry guns. That's 45 FT. 

40 yards is alot further away than it sounds. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Among other things like structure, it provides a task with an achievable goal and you can see the results!

Or work in a homeless shelter and get some exposure to how crappy the world can really be. 

But I think with that, you have to have a tangible longer term goal like learning a viable profession.

Maybe tie the community service to earned college tuition credits. Beyond teaching a needed skill, that's what the military does... Come work for us, and we'll pay for your education. I think that's what @Lostin76 did... I did it as well... I took advantage of the fact that the military would pay 75% of my tuition while I was still in. Took me a while, but I got my degree. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Maybe... I would imagine the "facts"  will change a few times before we know the real truth... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Yea 45 yards, 8/10 accuracy , under live fire conditions, with a pistol, is … well, tv special marksmanship where their handguns shoot 3000 rounds. 
BUUUT, if he was equipped with a laser dot instead of open sites, and he’d prepped for those distances… it’s possible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I wonder if in the heat of the moment with your adrenaline blasting you if some don't have a sudden sense of heightened focus?  I only have one personal experience with anything close.  I never pulled the trigger but was over my buddy's shoulder hollering shoot shoot while in Afghanistan.  He fired 2 rounds and it was as if I could see the bullet and I saw exactly where they hit.  Not the car or driver that was attempting to enter our convoy.  Now my vision is extraordinary.  Im 41 and just last week at my department physical I'm still 20/10 in my right eye.  The nurse said she's never had anyone read the bottom line besides me.  

• Like 2

Here's the floor plan that shows who was where.  Bad guy came out of the bathroom, good guy was near the cookies place.  

One source said the hero shot with a .22 pistol.  Is that true?  He also walked briskly toward the bad guy as he shot.

Click on the image to enlarge.

GREENWOOD-MALL-FOODCOURT-MAP_FOX-1.png

Edited by Madison22