Greenwood Mall Shooting

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

I'd like to know if people are choosing their targets (movie theaters, malls, etc) based upon the fact that they are gun free and therefore less likely to run across "good guys"?

That's a good question. 

Include schools in there too... 

31 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm not getting into all the parts of the shooting, guns, gun ownership, nationwide violence,etc....but to your point about attending heavily attended events. Concert, ballgames....whatever it is. We've decided (after Highland Park) wherever we go in the back of our minds we take 15 seconds and know an escape route or routes.

Sounds stupid I know but it's our world.

Not stupid at all...

I go a bit further. Always sit facing the main entrance and (hopefully) near an emergency exit in a restaurant. Always.

I also scope out what unattached objects are nearby (table, chairs, even tea dispensers) so I can possibly create a diversion...

I'm not overly paranoid about it, and I'm not going to post about other deterrents, but neither me or my family are going to be victims if I can help it... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I think schools are chosen more for maximum emotional impact than they are for being an easy target.

Yes that is true. When I waa on a school safety committee a national security speaker informed us that 1 reason is the pure number of potential victims, and at that time no one in schools had guns. Most school shooters planned on dying so they thought the school provided them the opportunity to do more damage. Lots of reasons people choose schools but I think any place with large gatherings and less people with guns is a factor

• Like 1

Hero was a 22yo "lawfully carrying"

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/gunman-kills-three-indiana-mall-before-being-shot-by-armed-bystander-2022-07-18/

Also found a link to this article (now updated with the Greenwood shooting). There are a lot more good guys out there than I would have guessed...

https://crimeresearch.org/2022/07/uber-driver-in-chicago-stops-mass-public-shooting/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I was just told by a buddy that lives in Greenwood that later last night, there was a vigil being conducted for someone that recently passed, in the same general area. Soeone opened fire on the crowd, killed one. Perp is in custody, alive unfortunately. 

My daughter text my wife about a shooting last night at Mucky Duck in Greenwood not find anything about it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I was just told by a buddy that lives in Greenwood that later last night, there was a vigil being conducted for someone that recently passed, in the same general area. Soeone opened fire on the crowd, killed one. Perp is in custody, alive unfortunately. 

That one was up the road in Beech Grove.

https://www.wrtv.com/news/local-news/crime/don-challis-park-shooting-that-killed-1-wounded-others-was-targeted-isolated-officials

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

How do we cure that though? There are ample opportunities out there. You just have to take advantage of them.

Or have we devalued true achievement to the point that kids just expect it to happen?

I do think it all starts with parenting. 

I wish I knew b/c these events just keep trending upward in frequency year by year.

And I hear you about opportunities. I grew up relatively poor (govt. cheese and all that fun stuff) and had to join the military to get money just to go to college. 

I don’t know what is wrong with our young men and why it seems to happen  so much more in the US than anywhere else. We all watch the same movies, play the same videogames, and are exposed to the same media thanks to the internet. But many young men in the US seem to be in big trouble mentally. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I wish I knew b/c these events just keep trending upward in frequency year by year.

And I hear you about opportunities. I grew up relatively poor (govt. cheese and all that fun stuff) and had to join the military to get money just to go to college. 

I don’t know what is wrong with our young men and why it seems to happen  so much more in the US than anywhere else. We all watch the same movies, play the same videogames, and are exposed to the same media thanks to the internet. But many young men in the US seem to be in big trouble mentally. 

Same here. I joined the military after struggling to find my way for a bit after high school. Smartest thing I ever did...

I do believe it starts with parents and home life.

• Like 2

According to this article  

"At 5:57 p.m., Elisjsha Dicken, an armed bystander, fired on Sapirman. Dicken fired 10 rounds hitting Sapirman as Sapirman tried to retreat into the bathroom but collapsed and died.

Dicken had no police training or military background, according to police. He was carrying under the new "Constitutional Carry" law and did not have a permit."

37 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Same here. I joined the military after struggling to find my way for a bit after high school. Smartest thing I ever did...

I do believe it starts with parents and home life.

Exactly - I knew it was a life of partying and menial jobs if I didn’t figure something out. Honestly always thought I would just burn out from drugs or a motorcycle crash by the time I was 25. The military turned things around for me - agreed very smartest thing I did as a young man. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, rico said:

How about we make it a law that upon graduation from HS a kid has to join the military?  Would that help with the mass shootings?  Teach the kids some discipline.  Instill some values in them.  Just a thought...

That's pretty much what Israel does.  Maybe some percentage could be used to guard the schools??  I think all Israelis, men and women, do two years of military service.  Seemed like their were uniformed personnel of various kinds everywhere when my wife and I visited Israel.  They obviously have a different situation than us, but I'm with you, Rico.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rico said:

How about we make it a law that upon graduation from HS a kid has to join the military?  Would that help with the mass shootings?  Teach the kids some discipline.  Instill some values in them.  Just a thought...

I've always been a proponent of the all volunteer force, but I do think more varieties of public service would be nice.

I will say this (and this is no excuse for the shooters) but 18-20 years old was one of the most confusing and frustrating times of my life. I really didn't have any idea what I wanted to do... Thank God for the USAF.

I actually wanted to go in as a computer programmer, but I would have had to wait a year on delayed enlistment. I wasn't going to do that, so I asked the recruiter to bring up some jobs on his computer where I could make some money after I did my 4 years (that turned into 20 🙂) and air traffic control (alphabetically) was listed 1st... Fate took a hand... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Good Samaritan hit his target from 40 yards away with a pistol...under duress...

That is incredible... 

Saw an interview with authorities last night on one of the news stations.  Officer said the girlfriend saw the suspect coming out of bathroom with weapon and the boyfriend was able to get behind a column/post in mall and steady his aim.  Even with a good rest, 40 yds with a handgun is very impressive especially under the circumstances. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1