Big 10 Breakout Players for 2022-2023

Just a swipe at who I think will surprise as breakout players in our league this year... 

Illinois-RJ Melendez 

Indiana-Tamar Bates 

Iowa-Kris Murray 

Maryland-Julian Reese 

Michigan-Terrance Williams 

Michigan State-Jaden Akins 

Minnesota-Dawson Garcia 

Nebraska-CJ Wilcher 

Northwestern-Julian Roper

Ohio State-Brice Sensabaugh

Penn State-Dallion Johnson 

Purdue-Trey Kaufman-Renn 

Rutgers-Dean Reiber 

Wisconsin-Tyler Wahl

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

• IUFLA changed the title to Big 10 Breakout Players for 2022-2023

Not sure Murray would really be a surprise, seems like just about everyone is expecting him to follow in his brother's footsteps. I'd disagree on Wahl, IMO he's a solid guy but not sure he has much more upside left.

The rest seem like good choices, I might go with Omoruyi for Rutgers. He already made a nice jump last season but think he has room to get even better.

4 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

Not sure Murray would really be a surprise, seems like just about everyone is expecting him to follow in his brother's footsteps. I'd disagree on Wahl, IMO he's a solid guy but not sure he has much more upside left.

The rest seem like good choices, I might go with Omoruyi for Rutgers. He already made a nice jump last season but think he has room to get even better.

I think Wahl lived in the shadow of Johnny Davis and Brad Davison last year. He's a good post up guy, can dribble/drive it, and he's an excellent defender. The only thing lacking from his game is the outside shot. Less than 20% from 3 last year, but the last 17 games, he was at 30% and most of that while dealing with ankle issues. The only other real candidate for Wisconsin was Chucky Hepburn. I think he'll do ok, but wouldn't be surprised if he struggles shouldering more of the backcourt load... And Jordan Davis isn't going to get anywhere near what his twin did last year. 

As for Omoruyi, I think he'd have to develop a +10 foot jumper to really advance, and I don't see that. He and Mulcahy are gonna pick and roll people to death, but I see Cliff being what he was last year... Good pick and roll guy who picks up a lot of trash around the hoop, and is a solid defender. I saw the Reiber kid play well a couple of times, and if he can get near 40% from 3 (he hit 7-12 58% last year in a short sample size) he's big enough and plays with enough fire to be a difference maker for Pikiell... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Just a swipe at who I think will surprise as breakout players in our league this year... 

Illinois-RJ Melendez 

Indiana-Tamar Bates 

Iowa-Kris Murray 

Maryland-Julian Reese 

Michigan-Terrance Williams 

Michigan State-Jaden Akins 

Minnesota-Dawson Garcia 

Nebraska-CJ Wilcher 

Northwestern-Julian Roper

Ohio State-Brice Sensabaugh

Penn State-Dallion Johnson 

Purdue-Trey Kaufman-Renn 

Rutgers-Dean Reiber 

Wisconsin-Tyler Wahl

Pretty good list. 

12 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Can a freshman be a breakout player? I typically think of a breakout player as somebody that improves dramatically from the previous year.

Oladipo, Keegan Murrray, Johnny Davis type thing.

Last year I didn't put any in there, then Malaki Branham happened...

So I hear what you're saying, but I'd say "breakout" was a good word to describe that kid's season...

2 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Can a freshman be a breakout player? I typically think of a breakout player as somebody that improves dramatically from the previous year.

Oladipo, Keegan Murrray, Johnny Davis type thing.

That's a good question. I guess I would say yes if the player greatly outperforms his ranking out of HS. 

21 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I think Wahl lived in the shadow of Johnny Davis and Brad Davison last year. He's a good post up guy, can dribble/drive it, and he's an excellent defender. The only thing lacking from his game is the outside shot. Less than 20% from 3 last year, but the last 17 games, he was at 30% and most of that while dealing with ankle issues. The only other real candidate for Wisconsin was Chucky Hepburn. I think he'll do ok, but wouldn't be surprised if he struggles shouldering more of the backcourt load... And Jordan Davis isn't going to get anywhere near what his twin did last year. 

Agree on the younger Davis, he's no Kris Murray. Wahl is a poor man's Ethan Happ IMO. And he was in the shadow of Davis but his usage was fairly high already. I might go with Crowl over Hepburn there. He can actually shoot it but needs to be a little more physical.

5 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

Agree on the younger Davis, he's no Kris Murray. Wahl is a poor man's Ethan Happ IMO. And he was in the shadow of Davis but his usage was fairly high already. I might go with Crowl over Hepburn there. He can actually shoot it but needs to be a little more physical.

Jordan is the older one (by 8 minutes) but I agree. Doesn't have Johnny's talent. 

Crowl is definitely not physical enough. He's got a mediocre post up game, but he can shoot it from outside (32%) for a 7 footer. Not much of a defender or board guy...

I think Wahl winds up on the all conference team this year. Maybe not 1st team, but I think he'll be there... 

• 2 weeks later...