RIP Bill Russell

Bling, bling. 

More rings than fingers. Probably has pinky rings with chips. 

One of Lance Hershberger’s favorites. My college baseball coach, and he’d always reference Russell during our 4 World Series trips. 

The world’s greatest winner ever: Bill Russell. Jordan doesn’t even hold that title.

Edited by IUKane21
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Nothing I can say to do this man justice. RIP 

Biggest pair of brass balls a sporting arena has ever seen. Dude just refused to lose. Hersh would talk about the heavy favorited Lakers showing him their champagne and Russell saying “fuck that”.  And then, of course, he took that ‘Chip, too. 

What a legend. Maybe my favorite. I was just telling my grandkids about Russell/winning last weekend 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, IUKane21 said:

Bling, bling. 

More rings than fingers. Probably has pinky rings with chips. 

One of Lance Hershberger’s favorites. My college baseball coach, and he’d always reference Russell during our 4 World Series trips. 

The world’s greatest winner ever: Bill Russell. Jordan doesn’t even hold that title.

I grew up with Lance. Used to deliver papers to his parents house 

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I grew up with Lance. Used to deliver papers to his parents house 

Tell him I say hello. Hersh is one of the craziest people I’ve ever met. Scared of airplanes, though. He’d get us there, then leave us stranded on the bus. Very true. Sucked because we’d have won one or two with him. Demoralizing although we still performed. The ball goes hella far in Idaho, myself along with many teammates can confirm.

“I recruit GD beer drinkers, not fucking milk drinkers”

Malone at BSU, who I was originally committed to, told Hersh we were “gamers” after hanging 20 on them. Hersh’s response, as I’m sure you can imagine (and I’ll do this in my best raspy voice): “Gamers? The fuck is that supposed to mean? Gamers? You can take gamers and shove it up your ass. Fuck you. We’ll beat your ass in the GD fucking parking lot”.

True story. Our World Series banners are true too. I could fill your day with Hersh stories. Loved him some Bill Russell. Learned a lot about Russell/winning from Hersh. 

Edited by IUKane21

44 minutes ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Got any interesting Russell stories Bgleas?

Was just coming here to post. No real specific Russell stories, just that getting to meet, shake hands and spend a little time with Bill Russell was absolutely one of the biggest highlights of my time with the Celtics. 

The world lost a phenomenal athlete and basketball player and an even better and more impactful person. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Been watching the entire game. It's fascinating to watch. 

It is...I don't remember if I watched it live or not...but it's fun to watch... 

Later they're showing game 7 of the 1969 Finals... Same teams, and I remember that game very vividly... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It is...I don't remember if I watched it live or not...but it's fun to watch... 

Later they're showing game 7 of the 1969 Finals... Same teams, and I remember that game very vividly... 

Might need to record that one. Interested to see how the game maybe evolved in just 6 years from 63-69. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Might need to record that one. Interested to see how the game maybe evolved in just 6 years from 63-69. 

By that time, Chamberlain was with the Lakers...

I went with my Father to the Martinsville Moose Lodge to watch it. I was the only one in the place rooting for the Celtics...

And I was the only one that got to celebrate (with Dr Pepper... I was 11 😁)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Coach Woodson weighs in...

You can tell the interviewer is a younger guy who doesn't really grasp the impact of Bill Russell on the NBA and American society in general...

But our coach damned sure does...

Mike Woodson rocks... 

Seemed like the interviewer didn't even realize that Magic played for the Lakers? 

Coach Woodson rocks...

• Like 1