Kentucky/Gonzaga home and home WTF

On 8/3/2022 at 6:41 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

This is a compliment to IU.  If he is fine playing a premier team on the road and being afraid of playing Indiana, that's a feather in IU's cap.  That Wat Shot loss obviously traumatized him.

Having said that, Woody and Cal are friendly.  Woody understands the history and tradition of this series.  To Calipari it seems to be meaningless.  But Woody has the type of personality where we might work something out, even if it requires an Indy/Louisville rotation.  Bob Knight accepted that.  We don't need to be afraid of our own shadow thinking Cal will steal Indiana kids by showcasing the games in Indy.  Knight didn't overthink it.  We played it that way and I predict this comes back now that Fred is gone.  Don't let fear of KY recruiting dictate what you do here.  

Speaking only for myself, the series means a lot to me and I want it back.  I think the benefit is worth it for a variety of reasons that we have hashed out over the years.

I’ve been following and watching IU basketball before Knight was coach, and I don’t  care if we ever play Kentucky again as long as Calipari wants to dictate the where and how the two should play. Gonzaga’s being manipulated by Calipari and should tell them to FO. Kentucky thinks they’re superior to IU ( and everybody else most likely ). 

On 8/4/2022 at 7:43 PM, IU Scott said:

On DD show today he said he had talked with Calapari and Cal is wanting to have college basketball have some sort of simmer League.  They would try to get a lot of teams who would play each other during the summer.

That sounds like a dumb idea to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2022 at 7:43 PM, IU Scott said:

On DD show today he said he had talked with Calapari and Cal is wanting to have college basketball have some sort of simmer League.  They would try to get a lot of teams who would play each other during the summer.

Calipari wants so badly to be remembered as a pioneer who helped turn college basketball into an NBA farm system. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2022 at 11:22 AM, CampHoosier said:

I think the truth is that Calipari knows 6,000 fans in the PNW probably won't be as much as a factor as 17,000+ who all hate your school. Assembly rattled Anthony Davis and Terrance Jones and it was visible on their faces. There aren't many places in the SEC he has to deal with anything close to that. He lost that game because he couldn't calm his guys down and couldn't communicate with them due to the noise. All calculations to never bring a group of underclassmen to AH again. 

Gonzaga only sits 6,000 people. Who would want to go there?

College athletics are MEANT to be played on COLLEGE CAMPUSES. This "neutral site" stuff is so annoying. It only works in certain situations. Neutral site games hurt the product IMO. The atmosphere on college campuses is 1000000x better than anything you're gonna get in an NBA arena or likewise. Nothing beats the 10,000 screaming college kids and fans yelling at the opposing team in AH or any other college arena. Playing in an NBA arena just isn't the same, everyone sits on their hands it's usually a bunch of weirdos that usually don't attend college games and they're just there to say they went. 

13 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spokesman.com/stories/2022/aug/04/kentucky-gonzaga-matchup-to-be-held-at-spokane-are/%3famp-content=amp

I don't know why schools bend over backwards for them.  If he wouldn't give me a home game there is no way in hell I would agree to play at Rupp.

Well we are talking about Gonzaga here.  The Zags absolutely need games like UK to strengthen their resume.  Could they have went a different route?  Sure, but how many schools even want to play the Zags these days?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rico said:

Well we are talking about Gonzaga here.  The Zags absolutely need games like UK to strengthen their resume.  Could they have went a different route?  Sure, but how many schools even want to play the Zags these days?

Great point.  It's more about the Zags weak position than UK's super strength.  Zags usually play on the road, in vegas or any other place than can grab games of quality pre conference.  I mean, i respect their efforts but I have now desire to see them sit at the big boys table.  They haven't been likeable since Adam Morrison's hair was the thing.  

• Like 1