Collectibles

Indykev

I recently started collecting Signed jerseys from H of F players, newest being Bobby Clarke of my 25. I have Tiger on an 97' Masters flag, Jack on a 2000 US open flag and hat, his last open, at Peeble beach, signed Hogan, Palmer and Jack print of their 3 faces. ( I used to live with Arnold's secretary, he got them signed for me) Sports cards seem to be making a come back, you need to be worth millions to buy them the way it looks. What are some that you guys have?

@5fouls we all know you collect ex wives..

Edited by Indykev
  • Like 5

I have Walt Bellamy autographs.  He worked a summer basketball camp while still in the NBA, while I was a lifeguard still in high school.

We ate lunches together, cheeseburgers and fries served on wax paper in those plastic mesh bowls.  Chocolate milkshakes to drink.  Talked hoops, just us, no one else even noticing.

He had great stories.  Grabbed 33 rebounds in one game at IU, still a BigTen record.  Averaged 31 points 19 rebounds his rookie NBA year, rated as one of the top 3 rookie seasons ever.  Made all-star teams.  In the NBA Hall of Fame.  Played on the 1960 gold-medal Olympic team with Jerry West, Oscar Robertson and Jerry Lucas.  Played against Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell.

He was a cool guy.  One of the best IU players ever.

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 5

I collect shot glasses. Any time we visit a zoo, museum, or for any other personal interest I'll always pick one up. I'm not sure how it started, probably as a lark back in my early 20s, but it's amazing how many places sell them. Even Westminster Abbey and Stonehenge will sell you one. It's a neat way to remember the places I've been, and some of the designs are fantastic.

I also collected baseball cards back in my early teen years, when there wasn't much demand on my personal income. It's something for which I've always felt a nostalgic pull, but to get back in I would have to have very specific targets in mind. The scope is just too big.

• Like 3

Quite a few collectibles. Most of the standard baseball cards (my Mantle is the prize), autographs of players, coaches.....but two others stand out.

My sister, Dad, and I were at my Aunt's in Palm Beach, Florida for Spring Break in April of 1986. Any sports fan (especially golf fans knows what happened that month). Anyway were at Church service and my Dad is pointing to the guy in front of me. Took me a little bit of moving around but none other than Jack Nicklaus is sitting right in front of me. Had him sign my Church program after service...haha. Besides seeing Walter Payton in person at that time it was my jaw dropping in awe moment in life. 

My most prized collection though is the foresight my Mom had before she died early in life. Growing up we had Star Wars toys just like everyone else. We had two sets though. One to play with. One to preserve. To this day my sister and I still can't bring ourselves to ever sell them. It's so weird to see Ben Franklin (store in Northern Illinois) and $1.79 sticker on it for Han Solo, Vader, Luke,etc....did the same with ET and few others but Star Wars is the ultimate for us.

Great thread! 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Quite a few collectibles. Most of the standard baseball cards (my Mantle is the prize), autographs of players, coaches.....but two others stand out.

My sister, Dad, and I were at my Aunt's in Palm Beach, Florida for Spring Break in April of 1986. Any sports fan (especially golf fans knows what happened that month). Anyway were at Church service and my Dad is pointing to the guy in front of me. Took me a little bit of moving around but none other than Jack Nicklaus is sitting right in front of me. Had him sign my Church program after service...haha. Besides seeing Walter Payton in person at that time it was my jaw dropping in awe moment in life. 

My most prized collection though is the foresight my Mom had before she died early in life. Growing up we had Star Wars toys just like everyone else. We had two sets though. One to play with. One to preserve. To this day my sister and I still can't bring ourselves to ever sell them. It's so weird to see Ben Franklin (store in Northern Illinois) and $1.79 sticker on it for Han Solo, Vader, Luke,etc....did the same with ET and few others but Star Wars is the ultimate for us.

Great thread! 

Whoa the star wars are worth so bucks. Walter Peyton and Dan Hampton were my 2 favs. growing up. I just got a sign Hampton Jersey which should be in the mail today along with Robert Parrish.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Whoa the star wars are worth so bucks. Walter Peyton and Dan Hampton were my 2 favs. growing up. I just got a sign Hampton Jersey which should be in the mail today along with Robert Parrish.

Really cool stuff. Growing up in the area we got a chance to head up to Wisconsin a few times in 80's to see Bears training camp. They were bigger than big if that's a normal terms. Seeing all of them before during after the 85 season....just legends. 

Tons of autographed stuff I have collected since I was a kid.

My first autograph was Bill Buckner, who was my favorite player as a kid and he visited the local mall when I was 5 and I got a signed photo that I still have.

Bob Knight...signed card and book.

Jackie Robinson....signed magazine picture that my dad got and I have now.

Some baseball players: Fergie Jenkins, Rollie Fingers, Ryne Sandberg, Wade Boggs, Don Mattingly, Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, Clayton Kershaw, Goose Gossage, Mark Grace, Buster Posey, etc, etc. about 300 more

Football: Peyton Manning, Walter Payton, Mike Ditka, Gale Sayers, Dick Butkus, Drew Brees, Megatron, Brian Urlacher, Fridge, Jeff Saturday, Eli Manning, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Dan Hampton, and about 200 more.

Hoops: Reggie Miller, Bob Knight, Keith Smart (NC winning shot), Damon Bailey, many IU guys, Shaq, Penny Hardaway, Robert Parrish, etc

Misc: Dr. Seuss (A thank you letter for an article my dad wrote for the newspaper), Sammy Hagar, Jimmy Buffett, Mellencamp, Pele etc

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Tons of autographed stuff I have collected since I was a kid.

My first autograph was Bill Buckner, who was my favorite player as a kid and he visited the local mall when I was 5 and I got a signed photo that I still have.

Bob Knight...signed card and book.

Jackie Robinson....signed magazine picture that my dad got and I have now.

Some baseball players: Fergie Jenkins, Rollie Fingers, Ryne Sandberg, Wade Boggs, Don Mattingly, Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, Clayton Kershaw, Goose Gossage, Mark Grace, Buster Posey, etc, etc. about 300 more

Football: Peyton Manning, Walter Payton, Mike Ditka, Gale Sayers, Dick Butkus, Drew Brees, Megatron, Brian Urlacher, Fridge, Jeff Saturday, Eli Manning, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Dan Hampton, and about 200 more.

Hoops: Reggie Miller, Bob Knight, Keith Smart (NC winning shot), Damon Bailey, many IU guys, Shaq, Penny Hardaway, Robert Parrish, etc

Misc: Dr. Seuss (A thank you letter for an article my dad wrote for the newspaper), Sammy Hagar, Jimmy Buffett, Mellencamp, Pele etc

Darn. Impressive list!!

• Like 1

I have tons of baseball cards, lots of autographs , Coach Knight,  K, Cal, Izzo, Self and most if not all IU players 91-98. Several Alford pics and basketballs. Ayden has many WWE stars, Cena, Big Show Undertaker Foley. We have lots of Colts but not a Manning autograph which bums me out. Lots and lots of Griffey Jr items a game worn Jeresy and over 500 cards. I was a little obsessed.

This card is not extremely valuable but rare and I was able to get it on a pack of Fleer cards as soon as they were released 1989 Fleer infamous Billy Ripken F Face card.

20220808_141904.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I have tons of baseball cards, lots of autographs , Coach Knight,  K, Cal, Izzo, Self and most if not all IU players 91-98. Several Alford pics and basketballs. Ayden has many WWE stars, Cena, Big Show Undertaker Foley. We have lots of Colts but not a Manning autograph which bums me out. Lots and lots of Griffey Jr items a game worn Jeresy and over 500 cards. I was a little obsessed.

This card is not extremely valuable but rare and I was able to get it on a pack of Fleer cards as soon as they were released 1989 Fleer infamous Billy Ripken F Face card.

20220808_141904.jpg

I have that card...it is one of my favorites of all time. I have Cal Ripkens autograph in his book "Hot Head"

• Like 2

Just now, FritzIam4IU said:

Thanks. I have collected cards/autographs since I was young. I recently sold off a bunch of cards that I just didn't need anymore. I still have some of my "personal collection" but have been downsizing.

If you want to down size more let me know. Aydens collection is getting pretty big and we like doing it together. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

20220808_141904.jpg

That one and this Billy Martin "finger" card are my 2 favorites of all time...

s-l600.jpg.14f08bdf2f098e9dca9e33b1f369f0d1.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That one and this Billy Martin "finger" card are my 2 favorites of all time...

s-l600.jpg.14f08bdf2f098e9dca9e33b1f369f0d1.jpg

That's awesome. This is without question my all time favorite card. Bought so many packs to get 1. Back when Ayden was sick and things were very very tight I sold 3 that I had acquired to stay afloat. I know just have my original one

20220808_143709.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

That's awesome. This is without question my all time favorite card. Bought so many packs to get 1. Back when Ayden was sick and things were very very tight I sold 3 that I had acquired to stay afloat. I know just have my original one

20220808_143709.jpg

Love his rookie cards. Even the Donruss and Fleer are cool.