The greatest female athlete Serena Williams just announced her retirement

Serena is certainly great.  She and Venus followed in the footsteps of one their former coaches...Althea Gibson.  She was the female Jackie Robinson and the first African American to win a Grand Slam title in 1956.  She also was a professional golfer.  As a kid, I saw her play an exhibition match as part of the Harlem Globetrotters show.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Not to say she hasn’t been an incredible champion but if she doesn’t even have the record for most women’s tennis majors then she isn’t even the worlds greatest tennis player ever…much less greatest female athlete…no??

Surely you are not comparing her to Margaret Court? That was a different era with MUCH less competition, and I’m not even sure a couple of her championships should really count. Serena is a genuine badass and was the player no one wanted to face for many years. Even in her later days. She is easily the greatest, most dominant, women’s athlete outside of Marianne Vos in women’s cycling, who is also crazy dominant. 

20 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Surely you are not comparing her to Margaret Court? That was a different era with MUCH less competition, and I’m not even sure a couple of her championships should really count. Serena is a genuine badass and was the player no one wanted to face for many years. Even in her later days. She is easily the greatest, most dominant, women’s athlete outside of Marianne Vos in women’s cycling, who is also crazy dominant. 

Babe Didrickson, Won 3 gold medals in track and field, won 14 straight golf tournaments and the list goes on. Yeah people can argue that the competition wasn't the same, but she also pitched against Major League mens teams! Still it's difficult to argue diferen't area's and sports, let's just go with there is more than one that could lay claim to GOAT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Babe Didrickson, Won 3 gold medals in track and field, won 14 straight golf tournaments and the list goes on. Yeah people can argue that the competition wasn't the same, but she also pitched against Major League mens teams! Still it's difficult to argue diferen't area's and sports, let's just go with there is more than one that could lay claim to GOAT.

Sure, it’s tough to say GOAT across sport lines, which is why I mentioned Marinanne Vos. No other woman could do what she has done on a bike, but put her on a tennis court, or golf course, then all bets are off of course. 

I still think that Serena is my GOAT for women’s sports. She did so much during a time when it wasn’t as easy (more competitive) and faced a lot of backlash from people who hated her. And it just made her stronger. 

• Like 1

If I had a vote it would be Joan Joyce. I mean that woman crushed it in like every sport she took up. Cross the board. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Joyce  So any woman striking out Ted Williams gets a vote from me.

If we are talking just pure athleticism gals like Jackie Joyner Kersee and Allyson Felix would rank highest for me….but yes as a Tennis player Serena is the best.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

If I had a vote it would be Joan Joyce. I mean that woman crushed it in like every sport she took up. Cross the board. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Joyce  So any woman striking out Ted Williams gets a vote from me.

If we are talking just pure athleticism gals like Jackie Joyner Kersee and Allyson Felix would rank highest for me….but yes as a Tennis player Serena is the best.

She previously was a softball player for the Raybestos Brakettes and the Orange Lionettes.[2] She also had set records on the LPGA Tour as a golfer and on the USA women's national basketball team, and was a player and coach for the Connecticut Clippers volleyball team.

That’s a quadruple threat! 

• Like 1