Jump to content

Football School vs Basketball School


Recommended Posts

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34394761/stay-my-lane

Calipari is ruffling feathers within his own athletic department.

And while I agree that the identity of UK is inextricably tied to basketball (and the same goes for our beloved IU), both schools are better when the football programs are doing well.

Conference realignment is driven by football, as it's the straw that stirs the drink. That is where the power and money is. 

So, the question becomes: is it possible to be both? And does being one negate the ability to be another simultaneously? Does it even matter?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the toughest jobs in the world is to be the other program. We know how that works.

Kudos to Stoops for standing up for his players, recruits, staff,etc......Cal just alienating folks and honestly I thought Mitch was going to blow a gasket on this one. One program has 4 straight bowl wins and the other hasn't won a tourney game in 3 years. If basketball is the king you say it is....you never have to say it. On top of that Cal is basically saying we don't have the facilities. You think Mitch likes that?

I love me some UK on UK crime though. Stoops will probably take over at Florida St in a year or 2 anyway. 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Love that Stoops called him out, and added they have won 4 straight post season games in football. Direct shot after the embarrassing St. Peters loss.

100% 

Look F UK, but Stoops has been really good. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34394761/stay-my-lane

Calipari is ruffling feathers within his own athletic department.

And while I agree that the identity of UK is inextricably tied to basketball (and the same goes for our beloved IU), both schools are better when the football programs are doing well.

Conference realignment is driven by football, as it's the straw that stirs the drink. That is where the power and money is. 

So, the question becomes: is it possible to be both? And does being one negate the ability to be another simultaneously? Does it even matter?

OSU and Michigan have great hoops and football programs….no reason you can’t be both. I know Alabama is shooting for it. Sunk a lot of money into their b-ball program. Ever heard the term rising tide raises all boats. That is what football is…the tide that can raise a whole athletic department.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

100% 

Look F UK, but Stoops has been really good. 

No doubt…he is a damn good coach. When I lived in Kentucky it was full of all UK basketball and Alabama football fans. By the time I left Stoops had filled a whole train full of bandwagon fans…sadly had a few friends that could no longer renew their season tickets because they had been so successful they could no longer afford them (at least not in the 50). he is doing a fabulous job….exactly what IU should be trying to mimic.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, dgambill said:

OSU and Michigan have great hoops and football programs….no reason you can’t be both. I know Alabama is shooting for it. Sunk a lot of money into their b-ball program. Ever heard the term rising tide raises all boats. That is what football is…the tide that can raise a whole athletic department.

Yup. To varying degrees, Florida has typically is good good in both, Oregon, Texas, as you mentioned OSU and Michigan. Even Michigan State has been good in both. Auburn has been good in both. There are other schools. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree that we can and should position ourselves to be good in both. Outside of our lackluster football history, there aren't too many negatives when you really break it down.

- Great college town

- Premiere conference with the best media exposure

- Best competition

- Solid facilities

- A fanbase with serious growth potential

- Enthusiastic coaches

- Promising NIL infrastructure

- Coors Light at games

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you are well established in football, it’s easier to also be good in basketball.  The number of players available when you only play five at a time means there are more good players spread around.  

If you are primarily known for basketball, it’s a lot harder to also be good in football.  In football, trying to turn it around is like turning around the Titanic.  See Kansas, Duke, Indiana. The top schools in football can horde 80 scholarships.  IU just had a really good recruiting class but even still we only have a handful of kids that OSU or Alabama would have even recruited.  

The NFL has their 53 and then ten or so practice squad guys.  Imagine if we took away 15 schollies from OSU and Bama.  The talent pool would even out some.  

Anyway, IU has made great strides. We have a full bowl in our stadium.  With the football realignment coming, we’ve got to go next level on intensity of bringing football up.  Build football only amenities, etc.  There will be a lot more at stake and we need to ratchet it up.  There’s money 💰 involved.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...