Bronny James

rico

15 minutes ago, rico said:

You could poison your teams chemistry real quick with this one.

And not so much because of LeBron (I think he's smart enough and a good enough parent to know how to handle it, at least I hope so) but more because of the media circus that'll accompany Bronny's arrival on any campus... 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You could poison your teams chemistry real quick with this one.

And not so much because of LeBron (I think he's smart enough and a good enough parent to know how to handle it, at least I hope so) but more because of the media circus that'll accompany Bronny's arrival on any campus... 

If Bronny goes to college maybe he is better off at a Cleveland St. or Akron?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rico said:

I think it's safe to say that, if he was Brady Jamison, he'd be ranked 50 spots below his current ranking. I could see him landing at Oregon, due to the Nike ties, then getting a huge NIL deal with Nike. He'd have his own shoe and there would be lots of ads and promos with he and Sr. 

James is now ranked 49 by 247Sports and No. 43 in the 247Sports Composite. He hasn't fallen off as a recruit necessarily -- to consistently be ranked as a top-50 player nationally is quite a feat, as both Bossi and Finkelstein agreed -- but he has lost at least some hype overall, falling from a five-star to a four-star recruit. 

On the other hand, during the first of July's two live weekends he didn't play nearly as well and his team just wasn't that great all summer. Strive for Greatness was only 2-10 during July and those losses were often blowouts. So, I think he was a bit better to end the month of July and I'm hoping that was a sign of what is to come during his senior year, but you have to take the entire spring and summer into account."

"Right now, I'm seeing Bronny as a really good high school player who has a chance to be a nice player at the high-major level," Bossi said. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

UCLA seems like the right fit.  Then again I've been lobbying for high level talent to go HBCU's.  Bronny could be a massive ambassador for a generation.  That would be quite a legacy he could build away from the shadow of his father.  But he'll probably go to Duke because of economics.  

I don't know. I'm just being honest here, but the HBCUs have a lot of catching up to do. Noble idea, but I don't see a sudden tsunami of talent flooding the HBCU campuses and big dollar TV contracts coming their way. Makur Maker tried it, and it didn't work out so well. Kids look at NIL, exposure, development, and facilities. HBCUs have a long way to go to compete in any of those arenas with the SEC and Big 10.

I think Ohio State might be a good spot for Bronny. LeBron stated that if he had gone to college, it would have been for the Buckeyes. And the football program overshadows everything in Columbus... 

If Coach K was still at Duke I might agree because of their relationship developed during US International play, but not now... 

Edited by IUFLA

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know. I'm just being honest here, but the HBCUs have a lot of catching up to do. Noble idea, but I don't see a sudden tsunami of talent flooding the HBCU campuses and big dollar TV contracts coming their way. Makur Maker tried it, and it didn't work out so well. Kids look at NIL, exposure, development, and facilities. HBCUs have a long way to go to compete in any of those arenas with the SEC and Big 10.

I think Ohio State might be a good spot for Bronny. LeBron stated that if he had gone to college, it would have been for the Buckeyes. And the football program overshadows everything in Columbus... 

He's no Lebron or even Zion Williamson.  Just looking back at Lebron's high school highlights, guess who found him and put him on espn?  That's right, espn.  Because he sold.  Zion's duke highlights were insane.  Go to Jacksonville St and have prime time roaming the sidelines doing hyped up interviews of Samuel L Jackson, Spike Lee, or whoever else the hype machine would fly in to hype the event up even more.  But Bronny's just not that talented.  It would take a concerted effort by 3-5 top 25 guys to all go together and have that coach lineup a preconference gauntlet that would make Tom Izzo cry more than Tom Izzo.  Sadly, the current machine of conferences has too much power, like you said.  

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

If Coach K was still at Duke I might agree because of their relationship developed during US International play, but not now... 

I think Bronny needs to be his own man/player.  I mean what are the odds that he even comes close to being the player that his old man was/is?  He is to the point now where he needs to make choices based on what he wants to do.  And when it comes to the basketball side of things he will probably fail at being LBJ 2.0 and it won't be his fault..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rico said:

I think Bronny needs to be his own man/player.  I mean what are the odds that he even comes close to being the player that his old man was/is?  He is to the point now where he needs to make choices based on what he wants to do.  And when it comes to the basketball side of things he will probably fail at being LBJ 2.0 and it won't be his fault..

MJ's sons would be a good comparison, although Bronny is ranked higher than either of them were out of HS. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Even Zion Williamson is no longer Zion Williamson.

True, he's now Naruto, whoever that is...

In a recent interview with GQ, Williamson compared his path to the famed anime character Naruto:

No matter what the world is saying, I have to remember that I am who I am and stay true to that. That's what Naruto did, and that's what I'm going to do. ... For a while nobody took Naruto seriously. And then he went and trained with [Master Shinobi] Jiraiya for three years, right? And he came back at 16 years old, goated.

4 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

True, he's now Naruto, whoever that is...

In a recent interview with GQ, Williamson compared his path to the famed anime character Naruto:

No matter what the world is saying, I have to remember that I am who I am and stay true to that. That's what Naruto did, and that's what I'm going to do. ... For a while nobody took Naruto seriously. And then he went and trained with [Master Shinobi] Jiraiya for three years, right? And he came back at 16 years old, goated.

Zion uses this story to promote his new Naruto shoe release (see link).  To tap into video game character popularity so he can make more money.  Nothing wrong with that.  Marketing-wise, it's very smart.  But it's not about inspiring people to overcome problems. 

Plus, Naruto didn't weight 300 pounds.

https://sneakernews.com/2022/04/23/jordan-zion-williamson-naruto-release-info/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

MJ's sons would be a good comparison, although Bronny is ranked higher than either of them were out of HS. 

It is hard to feel sorry for these type kids considering they were born into generational wealth.  But following in HoF daddy's footsteps is damn hard to do.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rico said:

It is hard to feel sorry for these type kids considering they were born into generational wealth.  But following in HoF daddy's footsteps is damn hard to do.

Maybe, but unless he gets drummed out of the will there's nothing shattering about it... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rico said:

It’s made more difficult because there isn’t the same level of desperation…hunger to get out and be great…its not just rich and entitled kids nowadays but even a lot of middle class kids…they’ve never had to face real adversity…whether it’s their privilege or just helicopter parents but they’ve not been allowed to go through the difficulties that fosters growth and mental fortitude.  

Not to be too religious but it’s in several passages of scripture such as Romans 5:3-5. Concisely…suffering produces perseverance, perseverance builds character, character hope. We do a disservice to our young kids to not let them go through trials and immediately rescue them from anything tough. It’s even more difficult for these rich or privileged kids from star parents who hasn’t had the same hardships to overcome as a kid from a disadvantaged background. Only a select few will have the drive or have had parents that allow for them to go through real adversity and not try to rescue them. Makes me appreciate some kids from superstar parents that make it…not only is there something special and unique inside them but probably had some really good parenting along the way too. Will be hard for Bronny but if I was Lebron I’d actually send him to a normal college experience where sure he will get heckled, will have to deal with expectations and social media etc…but if he wants him to be the best he can become those tough experiences will grow him into a more tough and hardened player and young man…and prepare him better for basketball and life.

• Like 5